Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

1 hour ago, Citrine said:

You don't have too, I never do and it always turns out great in the crockpot anyway. Browning is a lot of extra effort for a miniscule flavor boost.  I always add bouillon, worchester sauce,  pepper, bay leaf and salt,  though. 

One could say the same about prep order when everything is going in the same pot...

The flavor from browning is built on a lot of depends.  It depends on if you are using a single chunk of meat or a bunch of cubes, how much fat is exposed, did you dredge the meat first.  Any of these is a good reason to brown.  But it is just for flavor.  You may not want that particular flavor in the pot.  With what you have in this pot I wouldn't think it would matter.

• Like 10

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Citrine said:

You don't have too, I never do and it always turns out great in the crockpot anyway. Browning is a lot of extra effort for a miniscule flavor boost.  I always add bouillon, worchester sauce,  pepper, bay leaf and salt,  though. 

Grump does, I don't.

There's a small difference, but not a big one, so I go the easier route too.

My pot roast last week was round, mushroom soup, onion soup, taters, carrots, garlic, and onions, along with some jalapenos, because we still have gallons of them.

Came out great. ::):

I've been getting mileage out of Grump making Prostitute Pasta. ::D:

Didn't work on Grandpa though, he knew what it was and approved. :lol:

In some ways, I married my grandfather, Grump and Grandpa believe love should be fattening. Love for them takes place in the kitchen.

Sammy definitely agrees. Sometimes a stray bit of love disappears before it can hit the floor. ::P:  In Sammy's eyes I have gotten at least a foot taller since I started cooking. ::):

A dog's love can't be bought, but it can DEFINITELY be rented.t

Tonight I am making some type of curried chicken, not sure what. But we've got chicken that needs using up, a bag of stir fry veg, onions, potatoes, some withered apples, gallons of jalapenos, and about half a gallon of curry powder.

And Grump says curry is something you can make with whatever you have to hand.

Time to get experimental. :devil:

• Like 8

BD and Khatt are giving me identical "is it food yet?" looks.

BD will be getting some.

Khatt will be getting a very small bit.

Khatt chews curried stuff then spits it out. Loves the stuff but doesn't swallow it, even when it's chicken.

Cats are not made for chewing. <_<

But he purrs so nicely while he is trying to chew. He goes bonkers over the stuff.

Three chicken breasts - cubed, half a bag of stir fry veg with water chestnut, three wrinkly apples - cored and diced but not peeled, raisins, one small onion - diced, and about 3 tablespoons of curry and one of hot sauce, served over cubed potatoes. We need to get more rice, I hadn't noticed we were out.

Smells like food. ::):

By bonkers, I mean like catnip bonkers, he is writhing around his bit of curried chicken.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

One could say the same about prep order when everything is going in the same pot..

Beffudled Question from the #culinarilychallenged:

I heard this Rumour about vegetables. Some want to cook minutes (?) hours (?) longer than others was the gist of it. Carrots, Potatos, and Radishes May have been involved......or was it Turnips?

It involved putting some of them in early but others in much later because some would just turn to soup if the others cooked long enough or else some would still be raw-ish and hard but everything else would be done...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

I heard this Rumour about vegetables. Some want to cook minutes (?) hours (?) longer than others was the gist of it. Carrots, Potatos, and Radishes May have been involved......or was it Turnips?

It involved putting some of them in early but others in much later because some would just turn to soup if the others cooked long enough or else some would still be raw-ish and hard but everything else would be done...

You probably don't want to put anything in the crock pot for hours that's leafy or super watery (tomatoes for example) that you want to stay intact. Really, it's all about size. If you chop potatoes up into tiny bits, they'll disintegrate pretty quickly. If you leave them in too big chunks, they might be undercooked, depending on how long you leave them in the pot for. *shrug* 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yes, root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc are dense and it takes longer for heat to get in and break down the vegetable to the point it is soft and edible.  Still, some take longer than others.  Turnips cook faster than carrots. Carrots cook faster than potatoes or beets.  

Generally speaking, vegetables that grow above ground (leafy greens, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, peas, summer squash) take very little time to cook and can usually be eaten raw or nearly raw. 

Do you have questions about preparing a specific vegetable or a recipe? 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

One could say the same about prep order when everything is going in the same pot...

The flavor from browning is built on a lot of depends.  It depends on if you are using a single chunk of meat or a bunch of cubes, how much fat is exposed, did you dredge the meat first.  Any of these is a good reason to brown.  But it is just for flavor.  You may not want that particular flavor in the pot.  With what you have in this pot I wouldn't think it would matter.

5 hours ago, Citrine said:

I see, didn't realise it was just about flavour.

I've always found my beef came out pretty tough and chewy if I didn't brown it first, hence my surprise at someone skipping that step.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, aku-chan said:

You don't brown your beef first?

I almost never do such, since my stews get 16-18 hours of cook time (8-12 hours on high, rest on low) before being served.  Meat usually isn't on the top though, as I normally put it in just after the potatoes (I normally go potatoes, meat, two tins of tomatoes (one whole, one diced), carrots, celery, and then spices for my layers), but yeah, late o'clock mixed with not wanting to have to clean my cutting board and knife repeatedly meant I went that way.  Browning also tends to take quite some time, but done the right way it can add a decent amount of this and that.

Now, if I'm whipping up a one or two hour "quickie" stew in a pan, oh yeah, meat definitely gets dredged and browned first, but I'll also start with sirloin cuts for such, not, uhm, well, whatever my butcher gave me (which very well could have been sirloin, or tip/top loin)

5 hours ago, Citrine said:

Ahh, that's what I forgot at two in the morning.  Bay leaves.  I almost always use those, alongside all the other ingredients you mentioned.  Pepper I wait until I open it up for the first stir, because I have a bad habit of being slightly heavy handed with that stuff, and it makes it a tad too hot for hubby.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Doing up some peeled foam core sewers. ::):

2.5 D, no walls, but raised walkways over the channe!

For some reason, every city based game I've been in has taken a trip into the stinky dark.

For a while I was playing a nomadic barbarian in a Pathfinder campaign.

He kept wondering why “civilized” folk insisted on building monster-filled stench dungeons beneath their homes..

Just seems like a crazy way to live.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

Browning can add a lot of flavor to the dish,  particularly that mystical umami that people can't agree on.  but there are limits and there are issues.  long term cooking of 10+ hours will, in my experience, pretty much wipe out any flavor from the browning.  The proteins get broken down and you lose that rich flavor.  At the same time you are breaking down and rebuilding the collagen in the meat and that also provides a deep savory flavor of its own.  both work and both have slightly different effects.  I am usually impatient so i go for higher cuts of meat and rely on the browning action to give that meaty flavor.  My wife, being much more patient than I, usually takes the other route so i do stir frys and quick stews like stroganoff and goulash and she does recipes like pulled pork and briskets.  

as to veggie order: normal kitchen protocol tells us to keep veggies and meats separate or clean the board before switching from meat to veggie (or honestly from veggie to meat) because of the potential bacteria involved.  You really don't want to chop up a fresh salad on the same board you just finished chopping up a raw chicken on unless you have washed and disinfected it.  However, if you are going to throw everything in 1 pot, it really doesn't make any difference which you do first or whether you clean between them because they are all going to wind up touching each other in the pot.  they are also all going to be raised to a temperature greater than 160 degrees in the pot which is also a bacteria killer. 

things have different tolerances in the pot to, but they are also pretty regionally based.  my Mother and grandmother were Irish and firmly believed that the cabbage wasn't done until the water was greener what was left of the vegetable matter (please don't do this) but most people find that turnips will survive anything and any amount of time in the pot, potatoes and carrots are good for 8-10 hours before they lose all cohesion (i have done this intentionally and it makes for a heck of a stew base but new veggies need to be added somewhere in the process) peppers peter out after an hour or 2, celery in about the same.  Leafy greens are varied.  mustard greens can be cooked for days before they break down but lettuce cant make 10 minutes in the pot.

All of this is experience, mind you, i am not a chef or anything, i just like to cook.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

[gnaws on this post]

I have had a potato craving for DAYS!

RAwwwwWWWwwwwR! [stomps around]

Aren't sweet potatoes allowed in your diet?

I once tried Paleo and while normal potatoes were prohibited, sweet ones were allowed ( with moderation) because it's actually a different plant.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4