Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

I see, didn't realise it was just about flavour.

I've always found my beef came out pretty tough and chewy if I didn't brown it first, hence my surprise at someone skipping that step.

for most crock pot type recipes, the texture of the beef depends mostly on cooking it long enough for the collagen in the meat to break down so that it turns from “boot-leather-tough” to “fall-apart-tender”.

I usually brown my meat before simmering/braising/whatever, but I agree that it is not a vital step.

• Like 6

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Aren't sweet potatoes allowed in your diet?

I once tried Paleo and while normal potatoes were prohibited, sweet ones were allowed ( with moderation) because it's actually a different plant.

Sweet potatoes aren't allowed, as far as I know. I wouldn't partake if they were, I had some red bell pepper earlier and that was absurdly sweet. A sweet potato would taste like ridiculous candy.

The recipes all say "just use [insert totally not a potato here] as a substitute" but I'm doing keto with no substitutes. Substitutes make me sad. They make me miss the actual food much more. I don't miss pasta now and I don't need sad zucchini strings to make me miss it.

Thus far it's just potatoes I'm missing. And it's just been since Thursday. Heck, given when this potato craving kicked in it might be a direct result of the allergy attack I had this week. It's my brain remembering potatoes are safe, I need safe foods that won't try to kill me, forget diets and eat safe things!

Instead I will eat my almonds and my bacon and my avocados and drink my coffee with heavy cream and make myself feel better by ranting and gnawing on the board.

[gnaw gnaw gnaw]

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

(i have done this intentionally and it makes for a heck of a stew base but new veggies need to be added somewhere in the process)

That's pretty much why ours have so many potatoes in them - as they break down, they thicken the stew somewhat.  They also provide a bit of a buffer to help keep the carrots more or less intact, although by the end they are a lot softer.  We'll, we also like a decent amount of potato in our stew too. Hubby jokes that I'd be happy with veggie stew that's mostly potato stew, and he's right.. 

Today's stew calls for a five bean mix to be added in soon, and then about two hours before serving it we will add in some peaches and cream corn, as it adds that bit more, plus a bit of sweetness.  I might add in some more carrots and celery, but we shall see on just how much room there is.

Sadly, crock pots don't thin things down quite as much as doing it in a pot does, but ever since a burner put too much heat into a pot and burned it several years ago I haven't quite trusted the stove for such, even with a new element in there now. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Sweet potatoes aren't allowed, as far as I know. I wouldn't partake if they were, I had some red bell pepper earlier and that was absurdly sweet. A sweet potato would taste like ridiculous candy.

The recipes all say "just use [insert totally not a potato here] as a substitute" but I'm doing keto with no substitutes. Substitutes make me sad. They make me miss the actual food much more. I don't miss pasta now and I don't need sad zucchini strings to make me miss it.

Thus far it's just potatoes I'm missing. And it's just been since Thursday. Heck, given when this potato craving kicked in it might be a direct result of the allergy attack I had this week. It's my brain remembering potatoes are safe, I need safe foods that won't try to kill me, forget diets and eat safe things!

Instead I will eat my almonds and my bacon and my avocados and drink my coffee with heavy cream and make myself feel better by ranting and gnawing on the board.

[gnaw gnaw gnaw]

I understand!

Hmm, I'm not sure if gnawing on this thread will be a good thing for your diet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 2/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, Zink said:

This popped up as an ad on Wayfair. Had to click on it to see how much it cost. $250 canadian with free shipping. Seriously where can I sell these for that price? I could pop out a dozen a day in my spare time in the winter. They called it an end table.

Yeah, I can sometimes find stacks of those sitting on the side of the road with a "You Haul It, You Keep It" sign on them... :rolleyes:

My neighbor across the street could have sold enough "kitchen tables" to put a kid through college with the giant tree they just took down in front of their house. :rolleyes:

(I'm actually kind of sorry they hired such an efficient company to take it down - I never even saw them working on it because of all the OT I was working... It was just gone one day... I would have liked to get a slice or two of the trunk : It was an almost perfect 4 ft. by 3 ft. oval. :down: )

• Like 7

Well, poop. 

Got hubby’s W-2 = yay!

Successfully filed for free in IRS site = yay!!

Have a nice big return coming = YAY!!! 

Don’t have last years AGI or PIN, so can’t e-file= poop. 

Have stamp, will file the old fashioned way. 

(seriously, I think the irs site was easier this year than turbo tax. A+ to whoever designed it.)

• Like 11

Computer repair successful.

New graphics card for my partner. It wasn't recognizing her old monitor. I had to give up my monitor to her computer. In exchange I get her old monitor.

She's going to have to acquire a new monitor, my old one is small and inadequate. I think I'm keeping this one, it's gigantic and has nice colors :blues:

• Like 12

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Agree that sweet potatoes are really sweet.  I don't know how people can eat them with additional sugary toppings.  I put butter, salt, pepper, and pecans on mine. Lots of butter.   If you like that flavor, butternut squash is very similar, with less carbs. Half of one is almost dinner in itself. 

When I did low carb stew for DH I put in turnips and mushrooms to fill out the compliment of vegetables.  He was fine with it.  It was cupcakes that were really hard for him to give up. 

• Like 7

With both kids going past the kid credits, + other misc things, (thanks Orange King.....<_<) tax returns weren't as big as they have been in the past but at least we are getting stuff. Oddly, OR state is more then Fed, this year.

I did find out I may be heading to a new (to me) game con this June, Salt-Con. After our monthly GM/DM meeting at the FLGS, the games cordinator suggested having a store road trip down to SLC this year. Very tempting, very tempting.

• Like 6

Got the brewing equipment out this weekend so I could organize it. And since it was out...

This is where the magic happens.

20200216_162442.thumb.jpg.4e7afd06c30fdbee53542e5ecfd2af4c.jpg

It's no fun if you don't have a beer half way through the brewing process. 

20200216_162411.thumb.jpg.5494d162ce619d38a755b34178680539.jpg

We have beer!

20200216_142944.thumb.jpg.923cf45a1da5c51d5f664a580f3aec40.jpg

And because I love them, spent grain dog treats.

20200216_130119.thumb.jpg.fc370e402820a01f87fe45c71f6ecb2e.jpg

• Like 14

It's slowly getting there, just another hour or so (threw in some more celery, and the peaches and cream corn).  Thankfully, the heat that was there when I woke up this morning is now gone, and has left quite the absolutely wonderful broth - or well, what's about the consistency of a slightly reduced pasta sauce now, which is loooovely...

IMG_20200216_171536.thumb.jpg.57d198941c85bf3f6aca3c5fb02f6b54.jpg

Sadly, no dog giving cute puppy eyes in my photo, as such requires a dog in the house :P

• Like 11