Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

I went into a store yesterday to buy some groceries, and it was packed with people with overladen carts...   

I picked up a bread, some sliced cheese, and two bags of potato chips. 

'two bags?' the teller asked, 'having a party now?'   

'No, just securing next week's TV snacks in case the panickers attack those shelves also'...   

And yeah, I said it loud enough that those in line behind me could hear it clearly.  

I have a 4pack of bog rolls(the 'maxi' size. Lasts a long time), I don't see the need to buy water. (Tap water comes from a mountain lake, and goes through an automated filtration plant. It'll keep working for a few weeks even without maintenance)  

And frankly, I could do with a bit of cleanout in the shelf with freeze-dried goods at home. And I've been told that emptying the freezer and de-icing it every decade or so is a good idea.   

The big lot of panickers have no idea of what they have in their home, no idea of how long it'll last or even how much they need for a given period of time. 

A lot of what they buy will eventually be thrown out after it has expired.   

Elfed ... aaaaargh! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Is it just me? When I nursed the babies were always completely silent. None of that noisy slurp-gulp stuff people would depict in cartoons. There shouldn’t be any air getting in there to make slurpy noises anyhow, and babies don’t make noises when they swallow.

Also ... I don’t know how to say this, exactly, but nursing felt good. I mean, really really, almost embarrassingly good. Releasing endorphins like nobody’s business, happiness washing through the brain chemistry, a real rush, um, sort of thing. I almost never got bored nursing. It’s hard to imagine someone not noticing when the baby stops drinking because the rush tapers off too.  Is that not a thing, normally?

I have no idea about “normally”, but for Sephy and I breastfeeding was a struggle. It took my girl a couple months to get the hang of it. And I can’t say it ever felt good the way you describe. Mostly, it made me very sleepy. 

Now it’s a bit irritating, because she has teeth.

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Congratulations, you have won the baby lottery!

Good luck. Get sleep when you can!

No, not really :lol: at least with regards to getting her to sleep. With regards to getting her to eat solid foods, I sure did win the lottery. 

But I’ve been learning a few tricks for transferring sleepy babies from arms to cribs at work (a daycare). The transfer work, sadly she did not stay asleep. But I got a blessed 45 minutes baby free. 

Now we’re having trouble sleeping because of Sephy’s ear infection. I  being the human pacifier, because she hates the silicone one right now. If I’m lucky my work will be shut down and I can stay home tomorrow ::P:

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

This afternoon, saw some bottled hand sanitiser zip tied to the stair railings and lift support beam (Definitely not phrasing that right). One high school nearby has made some home made hand sanitiser and is putting them around the community so that people can use them if they don't have access to it. I found that very kind. 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

At the same time, the politicians are doing what they can to kill off the small farmers with those postcardlike farms. 

To be fair, that doesn't really take much. Small farms are very inefficient producers of food and have a really hard time competing with more automated ag operations.

FWIW, I have relatives whose small Norwegian farm (in Valdres) I visited when I was young. Very pretty; I wonder whether any of them are still there.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

To be fair, that doesn't really take much. Small farms are very inefficient producers of food and have a really hard time competing with more automated ag operations.

FWIW, I have relatives whose small Norwegian farm (in Valdres) I visited when I was young. Very pretty; I wonder whether any of them are still there.

The problem is that the size the politicians want is only practical in the flats around Oslo and northtwards. 

They're also big on subsidizing wheat production, which really isn't suited for our climate. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Zink said:

Electricity and indoor plumbing only became real common around here in the 60s. My dad was born in the 30s and my mom in the 40s. We had an outhouse on the farm until I was married less than 20 years ago (plus an indoor bathroom). I'm of the generation that always had tp except in extreme situations but most people older knew about how to live without it. But like my mom said nowadays there's a lot less newspapers available. Glossy magazines aren't the best but you do what you have to. :poke: One uncle told me years ago he could live without most of our modern amenities but indoor plumbing would be hard to give up. -30 in the winter going to the outhouse or storing it in a pot until morning wasn't fun. 

Sister had a bidet in her house for years. Came with the house and she really only used it to water her dogs. All of us have somewhat nasty but amusing stories about trying to use it. She got rid of it a few years ago. Should've held out I guess. 

Dennis showed me adverts from the thirties trumpeting the virtues of WEEKLY baths.

Such decadence!

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

Just got the news that I'm required to work from home for at least the next three weeks and all my inspection activities have been postponed indefinitely. So now I'm scrambling to get as much of my work off my work desktop and onto several flash drives since my employers have never bothered to put together a telecommute program. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

Is it just me? When I nursed the babies were always completely silent. None of that noisy slurp-gulp stuff people would depict in cartoons. There shouldn’t be any air getting in there to make slurpy noises anyhow, and babies don’t make noises when they swallow.

Also ... I don’t know how to say this, exactly, but nursing felt good. I mean, really really, almost embarrassingly good. Releasing endorphins like nobody’s business, happiness washing through the brain chemistry, a real rush, um, sort of thing. I almost never got bored nursing. It’s hard to imagine someone not noticing when the baby stops drinking because the rush tapers off too.  Is that not a thing, normally?

More like first time mom not knowing nothing. :blush:

BD was also a bit of a chewer, even before teeth started coming in.

But quiet, I think the slurpy noises are a bit like starships going WOOOSSH! as they fly by the camera.

But she did make happy piggy grunting noises. :wub:

We had to use both natural and formula, BD is a big girl, and I am a tiny person.

One thing I can't praise enough is EDIBLE TEETHERS! Once the teeth started coming in, I think those teethers saved my life! :lol:

• Like 8

18 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Need to get ready to SWING! ::D:

LBD, small clutch, and a Grump dressed to the nines. ::): I need this dance.

Did you two get a couple of dances in?  Or did they cancel it last minute......?

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I am rather looking forward to a bright side from all this. There is going to be some friggin' great research in a ton of fields coming out of it. To my knowledge, the last aviation shut down or slowing was for a few days after 9/11 - only time planes weren't in the air since aviation became a regular thing. Researchers actually got a glimpse of what happens when you turn off the airplanes.This timetravel is significantly slowed - many less flights, and probably less driving. There are already some nitrogen maps from China showing the difference of a few days with factories shut down. There are going to be a few environmental research groups that get to find out how accurate their models have been regarding air transportation and carbon emissions.

YAY SCIENCING!

Less Yay on being unwilling subjects. That part still blows chunks.

I agree!

Especially on the timetravelling. ::P:

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Hubby says that if we run out of toilet paper the shower is right next to the toilet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Washcloth + washing machine...big deal..

• Like 7