Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

15 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Thread unpinned? :bigthonks:

Yeah, I was curious to see that too.

...I'm also tired of waiting for Intelcom to get here, I want that package to come in so I can then focus on tasks that aren't able to be immediately set down in a mad rush to let the delivery driver in.  But hey, it was next day/same day delivery, so I suppose I can't quite complain :P

• Like 5

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have a question for you crock pot and Instant pot enthusiasts: does the instant pot do the same thing as a crock pot? I’m going to buy one with my tax return, but due to space limits, I can only get one. The instant pot has tons of functionality, but I just wonder if it does the crock pot thing as good as a crock pot does. I want to throw stuff in the pot in the morning and come home to food at night.

• Like 3

Concellation 2020 is running on Facebook, a group for all of us who are missing cons.

Pictures from the 'con'... People are tagging themselves in them, I think I'm in the second one. ;)

image.thumb.png.0e3ddc8d22fe3449ee90b7c0023c6e7d.pngimage.thumb.png.d11c3ad030cac796e8e9832a56b36390.png

Edited by Argentee
  • Haha 15
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Okay, I have a question for you crock pot and Instant pot enthusiasts: does the instant pot do the same thing as a crock pot? I’m going to buy one with my tax return, but due to space limits, I can only get one. The instant pot has tons of functionality, but I just wonder if it does the crock pot thing as good as a crock pot does. I want to throw stuff in the pot in the morning and come home to food at night.

My instant pot has a slow cooker setting. I've never used it. However given all the other settings it has, I'd take the instant pot every time. I use it to make rice weekly, I'll be tossing in a chili in a few minutes, we make stews and other dishes in it for lunch boxes.... 

39 minutes ago, Argentee said:

Concellation 2020 is running on Facebook, a group for all of us who are missing cons.

Pictures from the 'con'... People are tagging themselves in them, I think I'm in the second one. ;)

image.thumb.png.0e3ddc8d22fe3449ee90b7c0023c6e7d.pngimage.thumb.png.d11c3ad030cac796e8e9832a56b36390.png

Oh, that's me in the first one! I'm behind the tall... thing, from that anime I don't recognize.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

49 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

My mom thinks it works great, fwiw. When she's making stuff like chili she fast-cooks the meat and then just dumps everything else in to slow-cook. Super easy.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Does the job, not as good at it as a crockpot, but it will do it.

A crockpot has a big old ceramic pot to even out the temperature and hold the heat.

Grump prefers the crockpot, I prefer the instant pot, if you have room for only one, get the instant pot, while not as good as a crockpot as a crockpot, it makes a better crockpot than the crockpot makes an instant pot.

The crockpot can't do the instant pot's job at all.

And for a bonus, an instant pot rocks at making rice.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Due to the coronavirus, all state-run liquor stores (so, all liquor stores because of weird dry state horse-elves) in 4 out of 5 of the Philly area counties will shut down starting Monday. Also all bars. ALL bars.

This will be... something.

I think they're getting ready to shut down bars here because with no sports on people are gathering in large groups at the downtown bar district.

7 hours ago, Keianna said:

The con I was going to this weekend got cancelled, After registration had opened! :grr:

Condolences. This weekend and next are going to disappoint a lot of local nerds. 

Meanwhile, day 5 without TV or internet. Got some painting done.  Watched it snow a bit this morning. Going out tomorrow to see the dentist, and see what's left of the world.

• Sad 8

19 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Due to the coronavirus, all state-run liquor stores (so, all liquor stores because of weird dry state horse-elves) in 4 out of 5 of the Philly area counties will shut down starting Monday. Also all bars. ALL bars.

This will be... something.

Just got back from the liquor store.

I have never seen a liquor store so... decimated. I got the last box of pinot in the whole store and all the cheap booze was gone. Actual gone with empty shelves.

On the other hand, going to the local Asian market was an excellent idea. Racism meant the market still had stock on their shelves. Picked up spices, onions, vegetables, matches, and udon.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

To everyone stockpiling food for the Apocalypse Plague Covid-19 virus, Corned Beef is cheap right now, and will keep for months in the fridge, or a year in the freezer. :devil:

By the power of St. Patrick you can survive this!

That can be purple or not, depending on how much you like corned beef.

Sending Grump out for a couple more points, because I freaking LOVE corned beef, and I can swap it in place of the Sunday Pot Roast.

Grump does a chicken chili verde which is YUMMY. Chicken thighs, white beans, and a salsa verde, I think.

Pretty much.

I think I got the recipe from Trader Joe's. They have a pretty decent salsa verde.

Went to the store to get more corned beef - all I found was a dinky little two pound point cut - enough for us, but no guests.

Welcome to Burger Thug, can I break your order? We currently have a free Corvid screening with every order.

... ... ... No, sir, I meant Corvid, we look to see if there are any crows waiting for you to keel over, and if there are, we won't serve you.

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

Does the job, not as good at it as a crockpot, but it will do it.

A crockpot has a big old ceramic pot to even out the temperature and hold the heat.

Grump prefers the crockpot, I prefer the instant pot, if you have room for only one, get the instant pot, while not as good as a crockpot as a crockpot, it makes a better crockpot than the crockpot makes an instant pot.

The crockpot can't do the instant pot's job at all.

And for a bonus, an instant pot rocks at making rice.

One thing - make sure the ring and rim of the instant pot are clean and seated properly when using the instant pot as an instant pot - otherwise it will not hold pressure.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The trip to the Big CityTM went well yesterday, managed to get back home ahead of the snow. Went to two new (to us) restaurants, both were fabulous. Managed to pick up a display stand that was on Clearance at Michael's, and the coupon dropped it even lower. Picked up a couple Tartaros terminators, Vallejo Metal Color was actually brought into the hobby store as well as CA accelerant. Very happy to see the Asian market was completely full of people smart enough to avoid the nutso big box stores for some deals, and I managed to get $50 worth of noodles (not hoarding, this was planned months in advance because they're my favourite). Also discovered a brand new Indian market that popped up, got snacks for the crew. Best find was at Value Village where there was a complete boxed set of the original Traveller game, didn't want to spend money on the Starship Combat box though.

received_224033092300922.thumb.jpeg.7b83b1731da4c2c4d250876624c4055b.jpeg

One of my all time favorite game covers, along with the Steve Jackson GURPS Traveller - which is the reply to the distress signal. "Hang in there, Beowulf, help is on the way' - an advertisement that brought a tear to my eye.

I was not a fan of GURPS - but I own GURPS Traveller, which seems to be the truest of all the sequels the original game has spawned over the decades. Hell, the systems are even similar at their root.

That is what I call a successful ad campaign.

Free Trader Beowulf...
Come in, Free Trader Beowulf... Can you hear me?
Come in, Free Trader Beowulf...
...hang in there, Beowulf, help is on the way!"

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I roll to disbelieve. 

I mean, it's Ireland. That couldn't be possible.

Ever seen A Tight Little Island?

The Auld Grump - I loathe the American title of Whiskey Galore....

On 3/14/2020 at 12:40 PM, PaganMegan said:

Welp, Grump's afterschool game is on indefinite hiatus.

And today we are having an emergency business meeting about whether the retreat - in AUGUST! - happens this year.

Covid-19 is definetly having an impact.

I don't know if the Wednesday Kids game will continue, either.

Maine now has two cases of Covid-19.

And, not to be an alarmist, but one of the members of the board for the retreat is named Randall Flagg. (Okay, Robert Flagg, but way too close! ) <purple

And now they have announced that the classes themselves have been cancelled.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Dedicated to the hoarders

(NSFW)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBrYDoe6HMk

That guy needs to have his entire stock, except for one bottle, declared contraband and confiscated.

They can distribute the confiscated sanitizer through local foodbanks or care packages for the poor.

GEM

• Like 2