Jump to content

Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.


Froggy the Great
 Share

Recommended Posts

Los Angeles just closed all Gym's and Fitness Centers until the end of the month or longer as part of a more general closure order.

There's going to be a lot of fitness junkies that are going to be finding their lives turned upside down now.

They are also looking into prohibiting any evictions, including commercial evictions of businesses that are being hammered by this order.

GEM

Addendum:

They have also ordered all eat in dining closed.

Just one problem here people.  Long Haul Truck Drivers can't fit a big rig through a drive through and they can't get to most of the restaurants with walk in/carry out service.

I've already predicted elsewhere that the states that are implementing this and similar bans are going to see severe supply chain failures as drivers refuse loads and routing that takes them through places where they can't get a hot meal at least once a day.

GEM

Retired Tank Yanker

 

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 4
  • Sad 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp. My new job of a week and a half is shut down for at least the next week. Tomorrow morning I’m going to help do a deep clean, then no job for a week. Later on they’ll make an announcement about whether they’re closing for longer. 
 

I mean, I’m in income based housing, so our rent can never exceed 30% of our income, but what about the people who aren’t? What about all the waiters and bartenders and retail service folks who won’t have income for the next month? I understand why they’re doing this, but a lot of people are about to get seriously forked over.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sent all the kids that I have e-mail addies for in the after school program a message asking if they would like to continue via virtual tabletop.

 

If at least half of each class says yes, then that class will get a game each week. Monday and Thursday.

 

Not ideal, but better than leaving off mid story.

 

Taking advantage of Astral being free, right now.

 

The Auld Grump

 

 

 

I won't be getting paid for it, but it is the right thing to do.

 

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Four of the six kids in the Monday-Tuesday campaign have already said yes, after midnight, on what would have been a school night. Scary.

 

 

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welp. Gotta get up before daylight to take my dad to the doctor in the morning, an hour away, for some previously scheduled blood work. Told him I'd drop him at the door and he could forget dragging into some dirty little greasy spoon for a breakfast or coronavirus and eggs. Meh.

 

...but then it actually gets worse, because his nearly 13-year-old dog has gotten down and can't get up and we have to call the vet in the morning to come out and put him down. Dad's tore all to hell of course, and the rest of us are about right there with him. Gonna suck.

  • Sad 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

It's very weird to see TV talkshows and sports events without crowds and live audiences.

 

A lot less cheering and clapping. Sure it makes it more private and intimate, but the emptiness is palpable.

 

Yeah, I saw the current sumo tournament on TVJapan yesterday, and it was so different without the cheering crowd.

 

Did our normal grocery shopping this morning. One weird thing that they were cleared out of (other than the other things people have been saying) was tortilla chips and regular potato chips. Cheetos, Doritos, and other flavored things were still in abundance. That just seemed weird. Our cashier was saying that they'd had to limit people to no more than 5 packages of meat to keep people from wiping out their butcher. And one person came through with $900 worth of groceries!

 

And speaking of weird, my brother went to the family cabin down in New Mexico this weekend to go skiing. Besides the ski resort saying they're closing the season early on Monday, he had a little problem when he got to the house. Turn on the lights and they all popped! Oven, fridge, and deep freeze weren't working either. Turned on the dryer... and the bedroom lights came on! What the ...?!? Got the electrical company to go out Saturday after convincing the customer service person that it was an outage if he couldn't use the electricity as they only do weekend work for outages. For some reason, the electric company's equipment was malfunctioning and was dumping extra voltage into the cabin. Like the 220V was going into the 110V lines! I'm pretty sure that could have caused a fire somewhere. Luckily, we tend to shut things down pretty well each time we leave.

 

Oh! I was told that if I could work from home, I should. Not that I had to, but they were unofficially requesting those who could to stay home. Until further notice. That's going to be stressful for me. I hate working from home, to be so close to hobby stuff and not be able to do any of it.

 

This coming from someone who has been home all weekend and hasn't cast a single glance towards the hobby desk. Stupid brain.

  • Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Oh! I was told that if I could work from home, I should. Not that I had to, but they were unofficially requesting those who could to stay home. Until further notice. That's going to be stressful for me. I hate working from home, to be so close to hobby stuff and not be able to do any of it.

 

There's a lot of that going 'round in my circles, too.

 

I haven't been told to stay out of the office yet, but I expect it's coming relatively soon.  But I "like" my office setup--better reaction time on the computer, multiple monitors, properly sized monitors (rather than a puny laptop screen), and a full-sized keyboard.  Everything will take me twice as long at home.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They've done the whole "if you can work from hoem, do it" emails at my workplace too.  It's going to be weird to go in and it's just the warehouse staff and delivery drivers (plus our branch manager)... 

 

...Assuming we don't get a different email tomorrow morning that is. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Caught the end of "Den of Thieves" while making dinner. (Not Micheal Mann, but not bad either)

Now I'm envisioning a similar heist style movie involving a crew using similar methods to knock over a hand sanitizer hoard. Or perhaps determined profiteers going after the factory that makes it...

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just one problem here people.  Long Haul Truck Drivers can't fit a big rig through a drive through and they can't get to most of the restaurants with walk in/carry out service.

I've already predicted elsewhere that the states that are implementing this and similar bans are going to see severe supply chain failures as drivers refuse loads and routing that takes them through places where they can't get a hot meal at least once a day.

This has been on my mind as well. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Caught the end of "Den of Thieves" while making dinner. (Not Micheal Mann, but not bad either)

Now I'm envisioning a similar heist style movie involving a crew using similar methods to knock over a hand sanitizer hoard. Or perhaps determined profiteers going after the factory that makes it...

This has been on my mind as well. 

They can start with the guy in Tennessee who tried to corner the market for hand sanitizer in both Tennessee and Kentucky.

Unless they require drive-thru only places to service walk up trade, which in the past has resulted in people trying to hold up the place thru the drive thru window, there's going to be a lot of drivers that will sit this one out.

The chief source of recreation on the road for drivers is sitting in the truck stop coffee shop bsing with other drivers and the waitresses.  Without that people will either say "Nope" or there will be a rise in big rig related accidents as their awareness edge just won't be there.

This order wouldn't have affected me very much, but I was the exception to the rule, knowing how to make manifold burritos and having both a 12 volt coffee pot and saucepan as standard equipment for my over the road kit.  I had a milk crate full of canned goods and just add water packaged entrees. These were pretty much a necessity for the places I was in an out of with many loadouts being from mines in remote locations and deliveries in areas with no conveniently located big rig services.  I spent a lot of "nights", whatever the time of day, on the margins of lesser traveled roads for my rest/off duty time.

The level of panic and monkey see / monkey do we are witnessing from the politicians and bureaucrats does not bode well.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

MrBoot briefly went to a friend's house today to help him with something really quick. Turns out the friend had, in his words, "just a mild cold." He was coughing. 

 

We are...not best pleased.

 

MrBoot will be calling his work's on-site medical clinic in the morning to request guidance, and we plan to self-quarantine completely for the next solid week, at least, out of an abundance of caution. 

 

Sigh. 

 

--OneBoot

  • Sad 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

They can start with the guy in Tennessee who tried to corner the market for hand sanitizer in both Tennessee and Kentucky.

Unless they require drive-thru only places to service walk up trade, which in the past has resulted in people trying to hold up the place thru the drive thru window, there's going to be a lot of drivers that will sit this one out.

The chief source of recreation on the road for drivers is sitting in the truck stop coffee shop bsing with other drivers and the waitresses.  Without that people will either say "Nope" or there will be a rise in big rig related accidents as their awareness edge just won't be there.

This order wouldn't have affected me very much, but I was the exception to the rule, knowing how to make manifold burritos and having both a 12 volt coffee pot and saucepan as standard equipment for my over the road kit.  I had a milk crate full of canned goods and just add water packaged entrees. These were pretty much a necessity for the places I was in an out of with many loadouts being from mines in remote locations and deliveries in areas with no conveniently located big rig services.  I spent a lot of "nights", whatever the time of day, on the margins of lesser traveled roads for my rest/off duty time.

The level of panic and monkey see / monkey do we are witnessing from the politicians and bureaucrats does not bode well.

GEM

I heard the Tennesse &^*%$#@^ got himself raided so that was what I was thinking about during the scene at the federal reserve in the film.

I could be wrong, but weren't there some kind of contingency plans made during the Cold War concerning trucking and keeping supply lines open? I can't blame drivers for sitting it out, between what you described and infection risk, I'd nope on out of it as well. Then there's the complications of distribution centers running out of product due to lack of imports, we lack the ability to manufacture on our own, so the drivers might not have to worry for long....our logistics system is built on a frail foundation and the possibly of cascading failures is sobering to say the least.  As many here have mentioned the impact on service workers,those who don't have jobs that allow sick days, drivers in the "gig economy", is going to be devastating. Our modern society is far more fragile than it appears. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...