Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

2 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I heard the Tennesse &^*%$#@^ got himself raided so that was what I was thinking about during the scene at the federal reserve in the film.

I could be wrong, but weren't there some kind of contingency plans made during the Cold War concerning trucking and keeping supply lines open? I can't blame drivers for sitting it out, between what you described and infection risk, I'd nope on out of it as well. Then there's the complications of distribution centers running out of product due to lack of imports, we lack the ability to manufacture on our own, so the drivers might not have to worry for long....our logistics system is built on a frail foundation and the possibly of cascading failures is sobering to say the least.  As many here have mentioned the impact on service workers,those who don't have jobs that allow sick days, drivers in the "gig economy", is going to be devastating. Our modern society is far more fragile than it appears. 

During the Cold War Era there weren't the sort of restricitons on routing and access to local services, even things as basic as a place to park, as drivers have to deal with on a daily basis now.  Without the basic infrastructure remaining intact to support the basic needs of the drivers, the entire supply chain will quickly fall apart.

There isn't enough railroad capacity to deal with much of a shortfall in Long Haul Drivers, both because of capacity issues and the specialized handling required for certain cargos that require them to move by truck.

It's an old bit of wisdom among truck drivers that "Everything you own was brought by a truck", excepting only the plot of land you might own, and even that has a lot of material on it that was brought by a truck, or moved around by a piece of machinery that was delivered by a truck.

We're going into a scary time for a lot of people, especially since the "powers that be" haven't actually thought about the second and third level effects of the decisions they are making.  And yes, I'm more than a little concerned, not so much about the prospects of being infected, even though my wife and myself are both in the "high risk" demographic, but because of the "unintended consequences" of blanket decisions that are being made in haste.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Sent all the kids that I have e-mail addies for in the after school program a message asking if they would like to continue via virtual tabletop.

If at least half of each class says yes, then that class will get a game each week. Monday and Thursday.

Not ideal, but better than leaving off mid story.

Taking advantage of Astral being free, right now.

The Auld Grump

I won't be getting paid for it, but it is the right thing to do.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Four of the six kids in the Monday-Tuesday campaign have already said yes, after midnight, on what would have been a school night. Scary.

It’s good of you to do this, for the kids’ sake. I hope you all stay well and weather this.

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

MrBoot briefly went to a friend's house today to help him with something really quick. Turns out the friend had, in his words, "just a mild cold." He was coughing. 

We are...not best pleased.

MrBoot will be calling his work's on-site medical clinic in the morning to request guidance, and we plan to self-quarantine completely for the next solid week, at least, out of an abundance of caution. 

Sigh. 

--OneBoot

That’s unnerving. I hope you both will be well.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, strawhat said:

There's a lot of that going 'round in my circles, too.

I haven't been told to stay out of the office yet, but I expect it's coming relatively soon.  But I "like" my office setup--better reaction time on the computer, multiple monitors, properly sized monitors (rather than a puny laptop screen), and a full-sized keyboard.  Everything will take me twice as long at home.

Can you Box all that up and take it home?

Guessing, No. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

That’s unnerving. I hope you both will be well.

Thank you. And yeah, unnerving's a good word for it. I'm not...crazy concerned (not really, no matter what the illogical part of my brain is yelling), since MrBoot immediately shoved everything he had on and was carrying into a trash bag (which will be living in the garage for awhile) and showered, and we have two vehicles so the one he drove in will be quarantined as well lol.

Honestly, it's not even that I'm worried that either of us will come down with the nastiest of the symptoms that require hospitalization. My biggest concern is that we could be carriers and not even know about it. -_- Which is why we gonna give be living the hermit life for a week, maybe a week and a half. Granted, that really won't be difficult, since we're pretty well homebodies anyways, and we have sufficient of everything to last a couple weeks at minimum. ^_^ 

What a perfect time for Borderlands 3 to come out on Steam. And it's 50% off, too! :bday: Making things go boom boom asplodey always makes me feel better lol.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 15

I hate people. Enough said...... 

I worked 12 hrs last night due to a late truck plus the load count was 1600 pieces. Luckily I didnt throw any of it. All I did was break it down, my left arm is jello right now. It hurts to pick up stuff. Which brings me to tonight.  I cam in expecting a 4 to 5 he shift, no load, just pretty up the store. I got a request to work a full shift & pull from the backroom. Uh, no. I'll work a 5 or 6 but not a 8 hr, especially this early in the week. Coworker took one hell of a week to take a vacation.

I think I'm gonna cancel my game night & that's something I hate doing as I love my Monday night game at the FLGS.  Just not up to it + attendance was down lately & has been for quite awhile. I'm not even sure I'll do Weds night this week either (& that's my night off). We shall see.

Again, I hate people & their hoarding, mass hysteria ways.

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

Hubby's corporate office is having half the staff work from home this week, the other half work from home next week.

I work in a corporate office for a different company, but work from home has been refused. All must report to work.

• Sad 12

6 hours ago, strawhat said:

There's a lot of that going 'round in my circles, too.

I haven't been told to stay out of the office yet, but I expect it's coming relatively soon.  But I "like" my office setup--better reaction time on the computer, multiple monitors, properly sized monitors (rather than a puny laptop screen), and a full-sized keyboard.  Everything will take me twice as long at home.

I'm in the same boat.  My laptop IS my work machine, so taking it home means I take everything I need with me. Except for the dock, two jumbo monitors, keyboard, etc that I use at work and tend to forget that it's actually a laptop.....

• Like 7

Got an email today, basically telling me that the office building I'm in closed at 11am(the email was sent at 11:05am) and that everyone in my organisation in that building should go home and work from there. 

Unless your boss specifically tells you not to. 

My boss immediately suggested that this was a good time to get up to date on all the small jobs that has had to wait, and maybe even organise the stuff from The Big Move earlier...      

Yeah, he's working in a different building in a different town in a different part of the country.

And wallking around in a large, empty office is unnerving. 

One of the reasons for the building close is that the cleaners are all out of the antiseptics, and because of hoarding, it's impossible to get more. 

Who the Elf is buying up all the industrial-sized jugs of that stuff?

• Sad 8

3 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

One of the reasons for the building close is that the cleaners are all out of the antiseptics, and because of hoarding, it's impossible to get more. 

Who the Elf is buying up all the industrial-sized jugs of that stuff?

The same people who are trying to single handedly corner the market on toilet paper? 

If this keeps up, the Sears catalog is going to make a comeback!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Our experience is just the opposite.  My wife is working as a cashier at an Asian market, and the shelves are definitely thinning.  The last three days have been a non-stop treadmill of $200 or more cartloads, and in her words, every single customer is buying huge sacks of rice.  Which makes great amounts of sense to me, as it is a staple food, stores dry and is relatively easy to prepare.

Oh, there was a notable thinning of stuff on the shelves, but they weren't empty and the store wasn't as crowded as it usually was.

Of course now NYC is closing the schools, restaurants and bars, theaters, clubs... And since a case of corona was confirmed at my office... *sigh

At least I'm stocked up on coffee!

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Welp. My new job of a week and a half is shut down for at least the next week. Tomorrow morning I’m going to help do a deep clean, then no job for a week. Later on they’ll make an announcement about whether they’re closing for longer. 

I mean, I’m in income based housing, so our rent can never exceed 30% of our income, but what about the people who aren’t? What about all the waiters and bartenders and retail service folks who won’t have income for the next month? I understand why they’re doing this, but a lot of people are about to get seriously forked over.

I'm kinda in that situation right now. I'm on a zero hour contract, so I don't get paid if I don't work :unsure: I've got an emergency fund for such occasions, but I'm currently trying to save up for a deposit for a place of my own and it won't take long before I'm having to dip into that to pay rent. 

On the plus/minus side, everything is still open here. Not to get too political, but I'm really surprised that nothings been officially shut down yet. There's rumours of legislation going through to ban mass gatherings later this week and some sporting events have been voluntarily cancelled but the cinemas, shops and restaurants are still open, if a little bit quiet at the moment. 

I'm going out for a run, hopefully the endorphins will make me feel a little bit better.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Thank you. And yeah, unnerving's a good word for it. I'm not...crazy concerned (not really, no matter what the illogical part of my brain is yelling), since MrBoot immediately shoved everything he had on and was carrying into a trash bag (which will be living in the garage for awhile) and showered, and we have two vehicles so the one he drove in will be quarantined as well lol.

Honestly, it's not even that I'm worried that either of us will come down with the nastiest of the symptoms that require hospitalization. My biggest concern is that we could be carriers and not even know about it. -_- Which is why we gonna give be living the hermit life for a week, maybe a week and a half. Granted, that really won't be difficult, since we're pretty well homebodies anyways, and we have sufficient of everything to last a couple weeks at minimum. ^_^ 

What a perfect time for Borderlands 3 to come out on Steam. And it's 50% off, too! :bday: Making things go boom boom asplodey always makes me feel better lol.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I'm sorry Mr. Boot walked into that, and that you both have to deal with it.

If it helps, your car probably doesn't have to be quarantined for a full two weeks. As I understand it, inanimate objects are pretty safe after a few hours or days. (Of course, sanitizing the interior couldn't hurt.)

Locally, the governor announced a long list of new rules going into effect today or tomorrow.

- Schools are closed (they may go online where possible. Daycare is not included in the closure)

- Events of 25 people or more are banned

- Restaurants can serve take out or delivery, but eat-in dining is banned

- Elective, non-urgent surgeries are canceled in the state

- Hospitals and nursing homes are to ban visitors to patients (they will try to get technology in to provide virtual visits)

- Individual municipalities are "free to add their own restrictions"

Lady Klarg and I are staying with my father for unrelated reasons, and all three of us have risk factors for COVID-19. We've been canceling most of our social visits and staying home much more than usual. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 13