Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

So...

All the bars are closed. The streets are filled with idiots who cough into their elbows and then spit onto the pavement because they have no idea how plagues work you mother[redacted]s. Restaurants are being shut down to prevent large groups of people from congregating into one area.

And I and thousands of other IRS employees are still going to work. We're sharing desks like we always do because we have no choice. Cleaning supplies are still available on a "bring your own then if you're such a wuss" basis. All of us in one building. Our only food access is empty vending machines and the closed restaurants surrounding the building.

I go back to work today, can you tell? :zombie:

• Sad 23

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 1 of working from home in the books. Got my email, and voicemail access set up and can access our bridgeline for daily calls with the boss. And I've got very limited access to our network. Turns out only a fraction of staff have state issued equipment and access to the VPN in order to transition over to telecommuting. To make it worse, a significant portion of the data we collect either allows for physical instead of digital submissions or has no mechanism for digital submissions at all. I'm in both of those camps. I have a couple of laptops here that I use for stuff like SAS and GIS though, so I'm getting hooked up a lot easier than most of my colleagues.

I'm lucky in that I anticipated something like this happening, so last Friday I came into the office at about 6 AM with lots of boxes and canvas grocery bags and just started loading up files I knew I would need at some point over the next couple of months. I'm doubly lucky in that I manage our small library of reports, engineering plans, protection devices, and literature. So I was able to find everything I needed pretty fast. Then a few hours later, when they told us we'd be working from home for the foreseeable future, I started transferring my digital stuff to flash drives to take home. My boss told me to leave around 1 that afternoon, but by then I had dumped enough work into my van or onto my drives that I'll be able to keep ahead of the workload that will be building up while I'm sitting at home. 

Right now my big concern is falling out of my normal early morning routine and the having a hard time getting back into it when this is over. 

• Like 10

Miniature Monday! #011 with Josh Davis started shortly after 3 PM.   He's painting 77180 Shaerileth, Spider Demoness, and is in the Reaper studio with Justin.  He showed off the Bones 5 Shadow Dragon he's working on.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures/

ETA: There's a prep video for the spider demoness here.

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Thank you. And yeah, unnerving's a good word for it. I'm not...crazy concerned (not really, no matter what the illogical part of my brain is yelling), since MrBoot immediately shoved everything he had on and was carrying into a trash bag (which will be living in the garage for awhile) and showered, and we have two vehicles so the one he drove in will be quarantined as well lol.

Honestly, it's not even that I'm worried that either of us will come down with the nastiest of the symptoms that require hospitalization. My biggest concern is that we could be carriers and not even know about it. -_- Which is why we gonna give be living the hermit life for a week, maybe a week and a half. Granted, that really won't be difficult, since we're pretty well homebodies anyways, and we have sufficient of everything to last a couple weeks at minimum. ^_^ 

What a perfect time for Borderlands 3 to come out on Steam. And it's 50% off, too! :bday: Making things go boom boom asplodey always makes me feel better lol.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Praying for everybody in our littel online family to stay healthy and sending and extra prayer your direction.

Be Safe.

Be Well.

And Maintain a positive outlook>

GEM

10 hours ago, haldir said:

I hate people. Enough said...... 

I worked 12 hrs last night due to a late truck plus the load count was 1600 pieces. Luckily I didnt throw any of it. All I did was break it down, my left arm is jello right now. It hurts to pick up stuff. Which brings me to tonight.  I cam in expecting a 4 to 5 he shift, no load, just pretty up the store. I got a request to work a full shift & pull from the backroom. Uh, no. I'll work a 5 or 6 but not a 8 hr, especially this early in the week. Coworker took one hell of a week to take a vacation.

I think I'm gonna cancel my game night & that's something I hate doing as I love my Monday night game at the FLGS.  Just not up to it + attendance was down lately & has been for quite awhile. I'm not even sure I'll do Weds night this week either (& that's my night off). We shall see.

Again, I hate people & their hoarding, mass hysteria ways.

If it were me, I'd be getting that arm checked out.

If there is damage, and an "arm like jello" doesn't sound at all right, you could make a temporary situation into a permanent situation by not letting it rest and heal.

GEM

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

The same people who are trying to single handedly corner the market on toilet paper? 

If this keeps up, the Sears catalog is going to make a comeback!

But I thought Sears went out of business.

At least in our area of the country.

GEM

P.S. Phone books work to.

• Like 6

Spent the morning deep cleaning the daycare. As a bonus, they had everyone there take home perishable food stuffs, so I have more food! Yay!

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

Now is not a good time to have to cough while out in public, let me tell you. I've had a post-viral cough in the wake of my bout of flu, and there's been a bit of side-eying to be sure. :unsure:

I also have a post-viral cough, and have been having a hard time controlling it. Last week I got the stink eye from some parents at the daycare. It’s not like I’m coughing on the babies! No, they cough on me! One of them coughed into my open mouth last week! ::o:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 8

Well, people are starting to plan further out for cancellations.  Our Cirque du Soleil tickets for may were canceled. We bought those for my MIL for Christmas because that's one of her favorite things ever.  :(

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 12

2 hours ago, TGP said:

There is something way wrong with the Universe. Way, way, way, way wrong. 

I put two pair of jeans and two socks in my dryer two days ago. They were damp. Just been washed. There was already a towel in there from the previous load and I was too lazy to pull it out and fold it. 

I just fired up the dryer and walked off. 

Returned to it today, discovered damp socks. Grrrrr. :grr:  So, I threw them back in, cranked up the machine, and waited a bit, read a few posts. 

I open the door, the machine thumps to a halt, I fish out the socks. They are dry. 

But there are now THREE socks. 

:blink:

The presence of your towel has invoked the Douglas Adams Effect and a wormhole was briefly opened to the Realm of Lost Socks.

One of them escaped, to land in your dryer.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Not Good.

They have announced the suspension of the Hours of Service Law for the Trucking Industry.

I predict there will be an increase in the number of run off the road and roll over big rig accidents as rookies and less experienced drivers try to push beyond their personal limits.

Heavy Truck drivers have been operation under a 14 hour rule for the workday for several decades, with the original HoS Law going back to 1938.  The maximum permissible driving time being 11 hours, with a 10 hour uninterrupted mandatory rest break at the conclusion of all work for the day.

There are going to be people try  to push beyond the 11 hours all the way to 14 hours behind the wheel because "I'm used to a 14 hour work day".  The time spent actively loading and unloading a truck require a different sort of mental processes than making miles and unless you've been doing 11 hour straight stretches of driving for a while the mental muscle doesn't have the requisite stamina set to do it safely for a longer period of time.

More second level consequences.

They should have added 2 hours max to the permissible driving day and waited to see how this affects the accident stats.

GEM

• Sad 15

4 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Aghh!  I knew there was something I forgot!

I'm so glad I work for a coffee company. 

I put my usual monthly order in last week, and just got my notices it's in for pickup at the post office.  Sweeeet. ^_^

• Like 7

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

He sounds like someone that really should be a  Florida Man, not Tennessee Guy.

I think Florida Man would've been drinking the sanitizer in search of a new high and virus immunity. Also he would have had a guard alligator or squirrel watching over the stash.

My theory is that he is a Chicago/Northern Illinois Man that wandered South. Finding new and fun ways to rip people off is a time honored tradition in this part of the world. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Finally getting the hang of this quarantine cooking thing

89812223_10218370016616667_6530839584245284864_n.jpg.3dc0a649bc2e158a26b2470706ac5c5f.jpg

I think I would rather be sick...

41 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

But I thought Sears went out of business.

At least in our area of the country.

GEM

P.S. Phone books work to.

I haven't seen a sears catalog in years, OTOH they deliver a newspaper to my house every day (I haven't ever paid for it and I have made over a dozen requests for them to stop but still I have it.) 

Hope everyone stays well and this goes the way of the flu and life can return to normal at the end of april!

• Like 6

Grump is on my computer, trying to get Astral up and running with his players.

Just now, SamuraiJack said:

Waffle houses here are closed except for pickup

It really is a crisis then, isn't it?

2 hours ago, TGP said:

There is something way wrong with the Universe. Way, way, way, way wrong. 

I put two pair of jeans and two socks in my dryer two days ago. They were damp. Just been washed. There was already a towel in there from the previous load and I was too lazy to pull it out and fold it. 

I just fired up the dryer and walked off. 

Returned to it today, discovered damp socks. Grrrrr. :grr:  So, I threw them back in, cranked up the machine, and waited a bit, read a few posts. 

I open the door, the machine thumps to a halt, I fish out the socks. They are dry. 

But there are now THREE socks. 

They are ALL Left Socks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8