Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Froggy the Great

12 hours ago, Argentee said:

Hubby's corporate office is having half the staff work from home this week, the other half work from home next week.

I work in a corporate office for a different company, but work from home has been refused. All must report to work.

Cough in the general direction of a corporate bigwig.

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Can you Box all that up and take it home?

Guessing, No. 

I actually had not considered it (work stuff belongs at work, but the laptop is portable so "belongs" many places).  We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.  The problem, though, is we live in a small house with only about half the space usable (due to youngest and eldest boomerang-ing and leaving stuff).  I'd be surprised, though, if IT would be accepting of such a thing.

12 hours ago, Marvin said:

Now is not a good time to have to cough while out in public, let me tell you. I've had a post-viral cough in the wake of my bout of flu, and there's been a bit of side-eying to be sure. :unsure:

I've had the same nagging cough for two years (since after a bacterial/viral sinus infection that just would not stop without antibiotics).  I also sneeze a couple times each morning.  I feel like one morning my co-workers will come round and boot me out like some weird "survival" reality show.

• Like 9

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, strawhat said:

Cough in the general direction of a corporate bigwig.

I actually had not considered it (work stuff belongs at work, but the laptop is portable so "belongs" many places).  We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.  The problem, though, is we live in a small house with only about half the space usable (due to youngest and eldest boomerang-ing and leaving stuff).  I'd be surprised, though, if IT would be accepting of such a thing.

I've had the same nagging cough for two years (since after a bacterial/viral sinus infection that just would not stop without antibiotics).  I also sneeze a couple times each morning.  I feel like one morning my co-workers will come round and boot me out like some weird "survival" reality show.

So any work slowdown may attributed to having to work on one tiny screen instead of having everything spread across a multiple monitor setup with adequate desk space  for that any any needed paperwork.

time to ask for a sufficiently large raise to allow you to move to new digs with enough space to replicate your office/cubicle and pay for the duplication of the work owned hardware at home.

GEM

Another Second Level consequence.

2 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

One of my coworkers is in quarantine.

One of my managers just got out of quarantine.

I'm thinking the proposed delay of the filing date for Federal Taxes may become a necessity when the large wave of sickouts actually hits the IRS.

GEM

• Like 6

I am in my first 90 days of the job.... so no sick days, no excused absences, if I miss more than 3 days I'm automatically terminated. And they're refusing to allow anyone to work from home.

Since there are no assigned seats, I'm making it a point of taking a desk as close to the managers or supervisors as possible when I arrive in the morning. And yes, I turn my head that direction when I cough. And yes, if I get a fever I will be still going to work because they are NOT offering work from home and NOT relaxing the attendance policy for the pandemic.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 21

These magnetic locks on the cabinets are going to take some getting used to. But Sephy learned how to open them. Soap isn’t a toy :rolleyes: 

In other news, Hubby’s work (Walmart) has to start locking all the doors because people were coming in when they were closed and stealing stuff. Real classy lot we got here.

• Sad 11

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

My housemate actually paid for ticket insurance, apparently it doesn't cover pandemics which is nice and convenient <_< and for a lovely souvenir pack which we can't pick up because the theatre is closed until further notice.

Sorry about that Kuro !!

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

I'll make this as vague as possible to avoid beekeepers. The theatres decision was just made today in response to an important person making a speech "advising" people to avoid places like theaters and pubs. Advising does not allow places of business to claim insurance on lost earnings, so everyone loses in a case like this. My opinion on the important person is [redacted]

On a totally unrelated note, who do I email now to apply for Beekeepers? 

I think you send a PM to @kit.  At one time  reaper_bryan  used to field those, but no more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

These magnetic locks on the cabinets are going to take some getting used to. But Sephy learned how to open them. Soap isn’t a toy :rolleyes: 

In other news, Hubby’s work (Walmart) has to start locking all the doors because people were coming in when they were closed and stealing stuff. Real classy lot we got here.

Their same breed here in eastern OR. I heard Saturday, they were walking up to our dock & taking from our water pallets. They have to walk up a long ramp to get to our dock. Thou, last summer I opened the back door to see a Hispanic man trying to take a cart of single water bottles (ones that were damage from being out in the sun, etc). He had the bhalz to ask "Can I have these?". He wanted the bottle deposit....sigh.

I seen today, OR is suspending it's bottle deposit redemption program. Hell in this town, that is gonna cause & even worse crisis then TP.................<_<

Seen on Facebookee, FLGS was closed due to health concerns. Thou, with the gov's announcement sounds like social gaming may be hold for awhile. No gatherings of 25 people now.

• Sad 10

9 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Seven of the six players in the Monday game have contacted us.

The one that left the program last year wants back in. :huh:

And I let him come back - while he is a foul mouthed jerk, sometimes, he is also one of the brighter kids.

The exact kind of kid the program is supposed to be helping, in point of fact - intelligent, but academically at risk.

And, in his words 'bored as [BLEEP!]'

So, his character is back in, as a probationary recruit - with the full knowledge that his characters every movement is under scrutiny.

'Big Blue' had him brought in privately, and telling the kid he is glad to have him back, sometimes having someone able to walk the darker side is a good thing. I am going to try to get the kid in touch with his inner Dirty Harry.

He is going to Lone Wolf it, now and again - and probably get beaten up more often than the other kids - but bearing this in mind:

1234347198_1e9b7b8e34_c.jpgDie Hard Effect by YeAuldGrump, on Flickr

Took about an hour before things were going smoothly - the first time I have used a virtual tabletop. The program barely worked at all on my old laptop - so I stole time on Megan's desktop.

A big shout out for the folks at Astral Virtual Tabletop, for making all paid features free through April. I haven't had to use any of the features normally hidden behind a pay wall, yet - but I am certain that I will.

Finally starting to recover from the Swing dance - my feet, back, and shoulders had rude things to say about my ancestry*, but my soul is much happier with the world now. ::): I needed to dance just as much as Megan did.

The Auld Grump

* They called me an incompletely evolved upright biped.

32 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Brigid is at the Hiding from Mummy and Daddy stage - seeing what tiny places she can hide in. ::):

When I was at that stage, my mom started teaching me  The Mistletoe Bough...I am thinking that Megan would thump me if I tried to do the same with Brigid.

The Auld Grump

• Like 12

2 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

my bodhran weeps in sympathy

Insert mandatory joke about drummers [HERE]. (Actually, the drummer in our old punk group - Irish Stand Down - was one of the more intelligent, saner, and definitely the most level headed member of our jolly band of misfits.)

The Auld Grump - I was looking forward to The Foggy Dew.

8 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Finally getting the hang of this quarantine cooking thing

89812223_10218370016616667_6530839584245284864_n.jpg.3dc0a649bc2e158a26b2470706ac5c5f.jpg

I scrolled down, past that, then had to scroll back up, so that I could stare at it with proper horror. :zombie:

The Auld Grump

And I am someone that has eaten eel in aspic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

So any work slowdown may attributed to having to work on one tiny screen instead of having everything spread across a multiple monitor setup with adequate desk space  for that any any needed paperwork.

time to ask for a sufficiently large raise to allow you to move to new digs with enough space to replicate your office/cubicle and pay for the duplication of the work owned hardware at home.

GEM

Yeah...If only my review had come now instead of two months ago.

Busting myself in half (or as much as one does at desk work) for a "cost of living" bump.  According to HR, I am appropriately compensated for the type of work I do.  They don't mention volume, though, I notice.  And it's true that my skills could use a couple boosts.  We've got access to some training, but finding the time to complete the courses is where I'm running into problems.  I'll probably have to start putting in time on Saturdays and Sundays to upgrade the skill set...which would at least be something productive on my weekend, and since everything that might be "fun" to do is being shut down, I might as well learn something!

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:
8 hours ago, TGP said:

But there are now THREE socks. 

:blink:

The presence of your towel has invoked the Douglas Adams Effect and a wormhole was briefly opened to the Realm of Lost Socks.

One of them escaped, to land in your dryer.

I prefer believing this ^ instead of this next theory:

8 hours ago, Clearman said:

It's not just people that will take advantage of the quarantine to reproduce.

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump is on my computer, trying to get Astral up and running with his players.

It really is a crisis then, isn't it?

They are ALL Left Socks.

My socks are ambidextrously footed. Or I am all left feet.

• Like 8

Update: stopped crying.

D&D helped. Had our Roll20 practice sesh, and it was a lot of fun. It's really not a bad platform as long as you can dodge the lag. Used Discord for voice chat, similar to what I'd done with other folks in the past, and I think that helps a lot on that front. We had nine players, so we should have a solid group or two going forward.

Which is good, as official in-person AL play is suspended for now. The store is staying open for the time being, but I've the impression I'm not the only person who won't be going should anyone decide to play in person. Hoping a few more folks from our table are able to work it out--my regular Avernus DM and his wife in particular can't Internet from home, so that could be a big puddle of suck.

Lot of uncertainty beyond D&D right now, of course. As you all know. Obviously.

I was an irresponsible dick and went through the Taco Bell drive-thru (they've closed their dining room, by the by, and I assume/hope other places are doing the same) after the game tonight--my day was just so broccolity, was craving comfort tbh--and then went to Wal*Mart. Because I didn't buy meat. I planned ahead and suffered the ridicule of everyone around me in planning ahead and stocking up, but I got no hamburger, bacon, or sausage. And of course the meat wall was empty. Along with a lot of other stuff. No frozen biscuits to be had lol. So I'll have to let things cool or work around to get some of that stuff now. Which is fine. But meh. I really shafted myself for no good reason there.

Called my mom and brother to tell them one of the managers said between 6 (new opening time) and eight is the best ti e to get there right now, in terms of their being stocked. They got all panicky, thinking I was saying something more than I was, and I had to put that fire out. We're good, but now's just a lousy time to have to shop.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Very clever of her. Can Mom work them?

• Like 6

Megan can speak entire volumes with mere glances -

Me: How does Wonder Woman do her gift shopping?

Megan: :huh:

Me: Amazon! ::D:

Megan: <_<

The Auld Grump - thank you, thank you, I'm here all week! ::P:

Just looking at her expression is cracking me up! :lol:

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Haha 16