Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

The issue isn't that so many people are hospitalized, on vents, or dying as compared to all the other causes of disease and death. The issue is that all those people are hospitalized, on vents, or dying *in addition* to all the other people who are still doing those things from other causes. We're not having a covid outbreak instead of a nasty flu season. We're having a covid outbreak on top of a nasty flu season.  Overtop the system capacity and more people start dying of things we could have prevented.

As compared to the flu, the biggest issue seems to be that covid causes primary pneumonia in a significant number of cases, which can require 2 weeks or more on a vent. The average stay on a vent in the US is somewhere on the order of 4-6 days. Flu doesn't cause pneumonia directly, but rather provides an opportunity for secondary pneumonia from other infections in the vulnerable. It's the difference between a bad taxi driver who drops you off in a bad part of town, and one who pulls over and mugs you himself. Covid can also cause cardiac endocarditis, which is a huge strain on the heart, even when not directly fatal in it's own right.

IOW - covid in it's more severe form takes a lot of high order medical intervention, which uses up a lot of medical resources, which can then cause enormous, cascading problems where it overtops the medical systems. Keep it from overtopping the system, and it rapidly becomes a nasty little infection that is nbd except for the people who are unfortunate to get a severe case.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

The issue at hand is that we have no immunity to this, no vaccinations, no medications. We have limited hospital beds, and a incredibly contagious virus that spreads rapidly through the air and can remain for over an hour after the infected person has left

the restrictions are there to try and slow the rate of spread so that hospitals can cope. If everyone was out and working, you'll have entire businesses closing due to the whole staff falling ill, and thousands crowding into hospitals who cannot handle them all. 

I know it sucks, but the reason we have these stay at home and business closing restrictions isn't to try and stop the virus, it's to try and give hospitals and the health care workers some way of coping with what is to come. If 800 people go to the hospital in a week, they'll struggle. if 3000+ go into the hospital in a week, it's going to fall apart.

there's no good answer. We let everyone work and hospitals collapse and healthcare workers fall ill and possibly die, or we do stay at home restrictions and businesses, employees and the economy suffers. 

with several relatives and friends working in healthcare, and at risk during all of this due to being the people tending the ill, perhaps i'm a bit biased on which side i lean. I'm worried for those people i know who are dealign with this on a daily basis, and hearing from them how bad it already is in their hospitals. So i guess i give a bit less attention to the economy penalties than i do our healthcare workers/hospital capacity

There's nothing here that I don't agree with and I totally respect your point of view. As we've both said it's a difficult choice all around. I understand that we're attempting to slow new infections so that we can take care of all of them. Not sure what the best answer is right now but closed factories and businesses will cause a trickle down effect that could really hurt us in the future. People think the toilet paper shortage was a big deal but what happens when it's food, medical or other essential services that can't operated because parts weren't made because the factories were shut down or focused only on covid-19. It's already getting tricky to get some spare parts here because warehouses aren't being restocked as fast. Everything is interconnected now and it's really hard to determine what will be important until it's gone. "For want of a nail". If the lock down is short term we'll get by. If it stretches into months which is likely things could get pretty rough by fall as our supply of those supposedly non essentials dry up.

26 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I wish what I learned from being the Zombie Queen wasn't "the humans never win".

That's because people are too dumb to realise that chainsaws are a terrible weapon. Heavy, clumsy, need gas and don't really work on meat and bone that well. Poleaxes are where it's at. 

• Like 12

48 minutes ago, Zink said:

>Snip<

It's not that I don't care because so far covid-19 hasn't infected anyone I know. I've lost friends and family to heart disease, cancer and accidents. I know how bad it hurts. We live and we die but we can't stop living because we're scared of dying. I've never really been in a position where I could sit back and hope someone else would take the risks and do the work while I hid. I don't work, my family doesn't eat and I'll lose everything my dad and I worked all our lives for. I'm lucky in that so far all of this hasn't had a huge financial effect yet and my area isn't infected. But I know people that are starting to hurt from job losses and I have very little faith in governments being able to sort it out fairly. And there are others that still have to work no matter what. I have a lot of friends and acquaintances that are in the essential areas and still working through this. Try to stay safe, try to do the best you can for yourself and your loved ones but ultimately we have to stand up and keep going on no matter what's outside that door.

You are in one of the most time sensitive businesses possible.

If crops don't get planted on time then the harvest won't be there, at least not in the quantities necessary for the entire economy to be sustained.

I know that you and your fellow farmers will do whatever is necessary for the survival of your families, and to whatever extent possible your neighbors, government edicts notwithstanding.

If this thing goes on, it won't be the family farms and farmers that take the big hit, but the Corporate owned farming operations who are more "sensitive" to government dictates.  If those large operations don't make planting season they won't have the massive quantities of harvested foodstuffs to send to the canneries and packers.  Which means the warehouses being emptied out right now won't be restocked,  Which means the cities will go on short rations.  Which means the City People will begin to have degraded immune systems and everything that follows from such a situation.

We are going to have to make some Hard Choices in the coming weeks or Hard Consequences will be forced upon us.

GEM

Stay Safe - Stay Well - Stay Sane

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Brutus loves the garden and the forest. He's still getting used to the floor in the room though.

• Like 19

Just now, Zink said:

That's because people are too dumb to realise that chainsaws are a terrible weapon. Heavy, clumsy, need gas and don't really work on meat and bone that well. Poleaxes are where it's at. 

I led my apocalypse themed game for years. We definitely had exponential growth in the zombie population. And if you made friends as a human, your new human buddy would probably learn your schedule, then come back for you when they get turned. I was **GOOD** at decimating the human teams. So is this.

Zombies win because the zombies have nothing to lose but a few minutes of time. The humans have a single Human Card. The zombies can take as many of them as they can catch. The only humans who make it to the final mission are the ones who didn't play: they stayed at home, or only went out when zombies weren't around.

There will be secondary hurts from long term distancing. But the alternative is worse. We can suck it with the secondary hurts and minimize current damage, or we can have even worse current damage and... probably still all those secondary hurts.

• Like 13

All I know is I'm currently capable of walking down the street with a miasma cloud of viral death floating behind me like I'm a medieval demon. That's why I'm going places only sparingly. 

I have no symptoms. Partner has recovered. We're changing the sheets. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

All I know is I'm currently capable of walking down the street with a miasma cloud of viral death floating behind me like I'm a medieval demon. That's why I'm going places only sparingly. 

I have no symptoms. Partner has recovered. We're changing the sheets. 

Huzzah for partner recovering!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

You are in one of the most time sensitive businesses possible.

If crops don't get planted on time then the harvest won't be there, at least not in the quantities necessary for the entire economy to be sustained.

I know that you and your fellow farmers will do whatever is necessary for the survival of your families, and to whatever extent possible your neighbors, government edicts notwithstanding.

If this thing goes on, it won't be the family farms and farmers that take the big hit, but the Corporate owned farming operations who are more "sensitive" to government dictates.  If those large operations don't make planting season they won't have the massive quantities of harvested foodstuffs to send to the canneries and packers.  Which means the warehouses being emptied out right now won't be restocked,  Which means the cities will go on short rations.  Which means the City People will begin to have degraded immune systems and everything that follows from such a situation.

We are going to have to make some Hard Choices in the coming weeks or Hard Consequences will be forced upon us.

GEM

I was thinking of that point but never mentioned it. I'm small and whether or not my business survives won't make much of an impact on anybody but me. But this is a global issue now. All of us are in the same boat which is rare. Things like droughts, floods and crop failures are generally localised and one areas loss is made up somewhere else. But if lack of parts and delays becomes wide spread globally.... Large farms with many workers need to keep going no matter what for everybody's sake.

On a less serious note our quarantine is hitting crisis levels. The wife has decided that we've spent too much time sitting around and is trying to organise make work projects for all of us. :blink: Fighting with the kids over some sort of homework, trying to make me find homework for them and fix a bunch of little things around the house. Weather's crappy so I don't feel like hiding on the farm. When it warms up again I'll be able to get the boys out there helping me and saving us all from her. I'm still trying to get my paperwork done and this week the school division is trying to figure out what they're doing so I've been on the phone with various teachers and the principal. The kids haven't been a problem at all but the wife has high standards for the rest of us. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

Power has gone out and a few moments later we realized we have a water leak

Just such a good day

So "Man the pumps" is going to require breaking out the old fashioned hand pumped model?

You have my sympathy.

Sometimes you can't draw a face card, much less an Ace.

I hope it's a small leak and easily repaired, and that the power comes back on soonest.

GEM

• Like 7

25 "official" cases* now in Kendall County, two of them employees at the Walgreens. This morning when I was attacking the yard, I saw the ambulance pass by with sirens on three occasions within an hour and a half. The only hospitals in the area are a small one in Sandwich, and Copley in Oswego. Aurora has been hard hit according to what I've heard, so theirs is likely at capacity already, probably all of them are. 

We as a society have chosen to embark on a fragile interconnected system, reliant on free movement of goods and people, which also means free movement of viral infections. We as a society chose to believe that something like this would never happen, and as a whole ignored how increasing unsustainable our system was becoming until now. One way or another things are not going to go back to the way they were. Either we continue to try and maintain a system that is a house of cards, and accept a recurring cycle of fatalities, or we concentrate on building more local sustainable systems, at the cost of many a current conveiniance and our sense of "normality". 

While I understand that there is a certain need for positivity, there is also the need to understand that there are going to be hard times ahead. There will be shortages, there will be painful changes to be borne, and this will not be over soon. In the short term, all we as individuals can do is try and look after ourselves and our friends/families as best we can, and take what steps we can to minimize our risks. But too often the kind of "positivity" needed to maintain morale is confused with the "positivity" that leads towards poking one's head in the sand and ignoring the threats we should be preparing for, because thinking of such things does not "feel good". 

* Seeing as how we are a county filled with commuters to Chicago, I personally figure the actual number of cases to be several hundred higher than the official number, since there is a testing bottleneck. The increased movement of both vehicle and foot traffic over the last several days due to "cabin fever" is worrying to me as this shows that more and more people in my area are not thinking about how this behavior will lead to a second wave, they are thinking "it's Spring, I want to go outside", and refusing to make the necessary changes to their mindset/routine current events are calling for.

This increases my risk level and I am, to be polite, not &^*%$#% happy about that. I need to be getting the yard ready for planting, and if people are going to be walking within 10 feet of the house/yard all day long, and the virus can stay in the air for an hour, then that seriously screws with my ability to get crops started, which seriously adds to my risk regarding having to go on resupply runs more often come winter because I wasn't able to grow enough to have a cushion that would allow me a certain amount of flexibility. 

• Like 9

Seems fairly small but it is a constant dripping

Its dripping from somewhere under the master bathroom upstairs  into the living room below through the light fixture over the fire place

3 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

This increases my risk level and I am, to be polite, not &^*%$#% happy about that. I need to be getting the yard ready for planting, and if people are going to be walking within 10 feet of the house/yard all day long, and the virus can stay in the air for an hour

Outside I think it has a much shorter lifespan due to wind and elements, the study i saw testing it's lifespan after being breathed out was in a indoor environment

But hopefully people start being a bit more responsible ...

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Seems fairly small but it is a constant dripping

Its dripping from somewhere under the master bathroom upstairs  into the living room below through the light fixture over the fire place

Outside I think it has a much shorter lifespan due to wind and elements, the study i saw testing it's lifespan after being breathed out was in a indoor environment

But hopefully people start being a bit more responsible ...

Most likely a failed wax ring on the toilet.

Easy fix but requires taking up the stool and installing a new wax ring gasket.

Needs to be fixed soonest or the ceiling in the Living Room is going to be visiting the floor.

Best of luck

GEM

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

One of the things they're recommending for home quarantines if someone in a household has it is to put them in a separate room with an open window, and closed HVAC vents. 

That's because it's far less likely to hang around in the air outside and infect someone than it is circulating throughout a house. 

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Most likely a failed wax ring on the toilet.

Easy fix but requires taking up the stool and installing a new wax ring gasket.

Needs to be fixed soonest or the ceiling in the Living Room is going to be visiting the floor.

Best of luck

GEM

we've contacted the landlord, but we actually suspect the shower. The leak is positioned about between the shower and hte big tub we have, but the drip has stopped now, and the only thing that was run today was that shower (about 10 min before we noticed the drip), so we're thinking it's related to teh shower

but yea...hopefully not a super hard fix, and the landlord can find someone still working to look at it

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 10