Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XVI: Brains versus Bleach - an Epic Rap Battle in Iambic Pentameter.

Well.

Today did not turn out quite like planned, but it's all good. ::):::):::):

We've been looking to buy an additional vehicle, a small pickup.

Found a Nissan Frontier that looked interesting at a local Nissan Dealer a few days ago on CarGuru and I took a look at it last week.

Gave wife the heads up and sharpened up the pencil to figure out if it was doable, meanwhile she contacted the Credit Union and in two hours we were pre-approved for enough to make it a possible deal.

Went in today while out making a Post Office Box Run so Cathy could see the truck.

We took it out for a test drive.

Got back to dealer and was going to give them a deposit check to hold it till the Credit Union paperwork cleared.

Three and a half hours after we first walked into the showroom and the keys are in our hands and we're sitting at In and Out having late lunch/early dinner in our new to us 2017 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab.

Seats 5, which means we have enough room for all of our regular travel junk plus a bunch more.::D:

90 horsepower less than I had in the last Freightliner I drove so its quick, fast [have to watch it on the freeway or it'll sneak up to 80 if you don't keep a tight reign on the throttle, and has oodles of power for towing.

When the finance manager came out of her office to do the legal paperwork I introduced us as Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker, and "We're here to steal a truck".  She already had all our info and copies of drivers licenses so, since everybody is wearing a mask she just laughed.

GEM

I'm back to truckin'! :bday:

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Like 18
  • Haha 2

All but two of the players will be gone next year - hopefully off to high school.

All but two, I think, in the other group as well.

The Auld Grump

• Like 14

I totally flaked and then had a little Internets trouble and missed the first ~hour of D&D. But I showed up in time to flash-fry a giant rat and help prevent a TPK. So there's that. Oy.

In reading news, went back to the Harpers series today, after dropping off the reading group pace back in the fall. And yikes. It was wild at TSR in the 90s. They were not getting the sensitivity and inclusion memos. Like, I'm a pretty insensitive and inappropriate kind of guy, and even I find myself cringing at the broken English and descriptions of eyes happening in this book. It is bad.

65A1C96D-2B14-4125-8CC2-793F26319733.thumb.jpeg.bb4198641e28a59fac196147b594e7d5.jpeg

• Like 7

On 4/12/2020 at 12:11 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Somehow, instead of a Marvel movie... Monster Musume seems to have taken over the screen.

Umm... ... ... oh, dear. :blush:

On the other hand, having dealt with snakes, a naga girl wanting to snuggle because the boy is warm makes perfect sense....

Oh, dear, oh, dear....

The Auld Grump

And the theme song just won't leave my head.... :blink:

Strangely innocent, for hentai.

And, I shared this with Megan, now I share it with all -

tumblr_n45pp4sBXK1ryg460o1_1280.png

From the lost (but hopefully returning) archives of Tavern Wenches.

The Auld Grump - she has been putting up the archives, but has not reached this strip yet.

• Haha 12

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I got out and about in that his morning.  Fun times.  I called 911 from an interstate.

There was an 18 wheeler who drove past a NO TRUCKS** sign. He got stuck. No way to back up. No way to complete a SHARP right hand turn. Blocking two ramps simultaneously.

**It's a no kidding, we are not FOOLIN', for reals... NO TRUCKS sign. Alas. It failed.

Unless it's an Owner/Operator, rest assured, this Steering Wheel Monkey won't be driving any thing larger than a Tonka Toy for quite a while.

GEM

7 hours ago, Thoramel said:

So this weekend, late one night and after a few beers, I got a craving for cookies. Since I don't keep snack stuff in the house I decided I'd go ahead and make some myself. I pulled out my normal chocolate chip cookie recipe and got down to business. I didn't realize until I started putting cookie dough on baking sheets that I forgot to half the recipe. The recipe I used is typically for family gatherings and makes like 5 dozen decently large cookies. Oh well, hungry and slightly buzzed me thought, guess I'm going to have extras. 

This is why 3 beers in Thoramel should never make decisions. Because now I'm staring at a giant pile of cookies for just my wife and I (who is dieting and angry right now) with no one to share them with! Not really an actual problem. But next time I'm going to have to properly think through a recipe before making it. 

Your local Working Way Too Many Hours Hospital People would probably be grateful for some Homemade Cookies.

Call them up and ask the telephone person what their procedure is for accepting Edible Thank You's.

GEM

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

So if she gave a bonus for shagging the sirens, would she then be giving seXP?

Or:

XXXP

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I imagine that she would end up with a cat glued to her head. And not necessarily your cat. :lol:

And the cat's opinion of this is:8-5e6b793d2fe2f__700.jpg.a1240a10b42b09d0301aa7d19144bd80.jpg

GEM

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Sounds like the weekly occurrence that happens at 109 st and 98 Ave, for the High Level Bridge entrance.  Literally at least once a week a trucker will fail to notice the 3+ high visibility yellow signs that are on each approach, or the flashing lights attached to high visibility signage... 

yeah, but it's Edmonton, those don't actually mean anything, right? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

On 4/12/2020 at 10:28 AM, Cygnwulf said:

Anyone know how to troubleshoot sourdough starters?  This is day 5 of trying to get one going. We are feeding it equal parts water and flour each day, but after 5 days we're still not seeing anything but a few bubbles and a lot of yellow liquid on top

IMG_20200412_092505497.jpg

The rubber band is how fill it was when we poured it into the clean jar yesterday so we could see how much it rose.  It hasn't

Mine doesn't really rise unless I've got it looking like a rather dry dough. It might bubble up a bit, but that's about it. As for how long it takes, well, that depends on a lot of things. How much yeast there was to start with, what kinds of yeast they are, the temperature that it gets kept at, etc. I've read that it isn't unusual for starters to take 2 weeks to get going, and my experience has been even longer. It got to where it could leaven the bread after about a week and a half, but its been 3 weeks now and I still haven't gotten an actual sourdough out of a loaf I've made with it. It has started to smell better and better over the last couple days, though, so maybe I'm finally getting close.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:27 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

The best western TV series, ever.

It's no Gunsmoke...

9 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Sideways will do. 

Continuing sourdough experiments. 

100% whole wheat flour, sourdough starter (fed with whole wheat), water and salt. 

Rising time was at it’s own pace, so about six hours total. Baked in a casserole dish in lieu of a dutch oven. The crumb is nice to eat; not so rocklike as my first tries. I could probably have let it bake a bit longer, but, overall, not bad. 

Yea, I don't have a Dutch oven either so I use a casserole dish as well. It doesn't do as good a job on the crust as the Dutch oven will, or so I'm told, but it does well enough. I need to get some whole wheat flour for my starter so I can do a 50-50 bread with it, but flour is in short supply around here right now. I'm wishing I had bought the 10lb bag when I was at the store last week.

Tried to fix my mower yesterday. Found out that on top of the pull starter being broken, so was the recoil spring that retracts it after you pull it. So I wasted $10 on a new pull rope just to have to turn around and buy a whole new recoil starter assembly, which includes a pre-wound rope, for $30. Now I have to wait until Thursday for that to come in. But it isn't like I'd be able to mow this week as it's supposed to rain all week long. Had a heck of a storm last night, too.

And, on a sad note, the guy who voiced the Soldier in Team Fortress 2 died of COVID-19. He was in a nursing home recovering from a stroke when he contracted it. This is the Meet the Soldier video that Valve put out. Always worth a chuckle.

https://youtu.be/h42d0WHRSck

If you haven't seen them, all of the meet the team videos are worth a watch. Spend 20 minutes and have yourself a hearty laugh. Even without playing the game you can appreciate the comedy. There are more official videos as well, most of which are pretty good, but I'll just leave a playlist of the whole Meet the Team series here as a starter pack.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHy7G7ndrUmpWqBkNKjJRT5urGiPW63Iq

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, ShadowRaven said:

yeah, but it's Edmonton, those don't actually mean anything, right? 

Well, if it's any consolation the trucks almost always clear... It's those extra four inches or so the trailers behind said trucks have that always wind up going crunch against a legacy steel bridge... 

Then they can't understand why commercial is all over them about every tiny little detail afterwards... 

The other one I never get is why so many truckers will drive between 90th and 98th Ave on 75 Street where there are plenty of signs (and usually police officers more than willing to pull over truckers who drive through the area), as that's very much so a no truck zone, and commercial really doesn't the find the "but the sign says no black trucks, mine's blue!" jokes funny at all... 

I've gotten to experience the lack of humor commercial has first hand... As a passenger.  I was effectively a swamper, and the driver kiiiiiind of drove a 12000lb tare truck (that was carrying a full load of type x drywall, PLUS a pup trailer full of type x) across a bridge that was rated at soemthing like 8000lbs.  Yeaaaaaaaah, $5,500 fine is apparently what he got.... Two hours later, after they had to work out how they'd get him out of there without driving him back over that same bridge, then escoet to the scales.  Apparently there were other fines too, as some permits in the truck had expired (but copies were on file on their end for the permits), but yeaaaah. 

Everyone in the building heard that dressing down the driver got the next day, and most of us were halfway across the building, behind at least two other sets of doors...  I didn't stay at that job long, hauling drywall is not my kind of gig. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Well, if it's any consolation the trucks almost always clear... It's those extra four inches or so the trailers behind said trucks have that always wind up going crunch against a legacy steel bridge... 

Then they can't understand why commercial is all over them about every tiny little detail afterwards... 

The other one I never get is why so many truckers will drive between 90th and 98th Ave on 75 Street where there are plenty of signs (and usually police officers more than willing to pull over truckers who drive through the area), as that's very much so a no truck zone, and commercial really doesn't the find the "but the sign says no black trucks, mine's blue!" jokes funny at all... 

I've gotten to experience the lack of humor commercial has first hand... As a passenger.  I was effectively a swamper, and the driver kiiiiiind of drove a 12000lb tare truck (that was carrying a full load of type x drywall, PLUS a pup trailer full of type x) across a bridge that was rated at soemthing like 8000lbs.  Yeaaaaaaaah, $5,500 fine is apparently what he got.... Two hours later, after they had to work out how they'd get him out of there without driving him back over that same bridge, then escoet to the scales.  Apparently there were other fines too, as some permits in the truck had expired (but copies were on file on their end for the permits), but yeaaaah. 

Everyone in the building heard that dressing down the driver got, and most of us were halfway across the building, behind at least two other sets of doors...  I didn't stay at that job long, hauling drywall is not my kind of gig. 

Actually, you were what is known as a LUMPER.  These are guys with a strong back, regardless of their brainpower, who make a living loading and unloading those 53' long warehouses on wheels, or whatever else you have unless it's a tanker [which gets very carefully loaded and unloaded under the direct supervision of the driver and usually by the driver].  It's back-breakingly hard work and I have nothing but admiration for the men [very few women have the body strength required, much less the inclination] to do this sort of work day in and day out.

GEM

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I mean, if you're going to make problems for yourself, guess it's easiest if they're first world problems. 

Yep, they're going in the freezer.

Asking for a friend, where exactly is said freezer located?

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

The father of a good friend has died. He tested positive for COVID-19. He had some health issues, but it had looked recently like he was getting better.

My sympathies.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

3) followed up on the three word "clue" that the totally improved blacksmith dropped when the fighter wanted to buy a new sword, leading to an entire series of events involving a farmer's daughter, a goblin ambush, a crying child and a flock of sheep - events that the DM hadn't even anticipated being possible, let alone planned for. 

This is the group I dream about having.  But nope I have the standard.  They may go off the track but only because they lost it not because they want to donsomething original 

9 hours ago, Pingo said:

The father of a good friend has died. He tested positive for COVID-19. He had some health issues, but it had looked recently like he was getting better.

My condolences.  It's particularly sad when you think they are going to recover.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

All but two of the players will be gone next year - hopefully off to high school.

All but two, I think, in the other group as well.

The Auld Grump

Will you be picking up any new players?

GEM

• Like 6

So we had a storm blow through last night (heavy rain and 90+ kph winds). This morning we have shingles all over the front lawn and driveway. Looks like my car took a pretty big hit (driver's side mirror was folded in, scratches on the A pillar, drivers' side window and down the door).  I'm sure it will be another $500+ to the roofers, whenever they get here.  They seem to be busy today, for some reason....

• Like 1
  • Sad 13