Wren

Pathfinder Paints Preview

I've posted up a preview of the new Pathfinder paint sets. I have painted swatches, but unfortunately I am not able to scan and photograph them right now. (We're having some home renovations done, everything is very disarranged.) Once I get that cleared up I'll share the swatches. Hopefully before ReaperCon, but we'll see how it goes!

https://birdwithabrush.com/2019/08/22/pathfinder-paint-set-preview/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

There is someone out there who has produced bottle labels for Reaper Paints.  If he is reading, or if someone can notify him, does he plan to do a set for the Pathfinder paints?

Cause I got them all at Reapercon.

• Thanks 1

You mean my unofficial replacement labels?  yes, I'll be adding them shortly.. I have a lot of catching up to do on them

• Thanks 2

"Of particular note is the new metallic paint formulation in the Bones and Pathfinder sets. New materials have become available since the Master Series Paint line metallics were formulated, and Anne has incorporated these into the Bones and Pathfinder sets for shinier metallics. She’s mixed some pretty cool metal colours with them, too, in both the Bones Ultra and Pathfinder paint lines."

Nice! Any chance of a comparison of the new metallics vs. other Reaper and competitor paints?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Highlander said:

There is someone out there who has produced bottle labels for Reaper Paints.  If he is reading, or if someone can notify him, does he plan to do a set for the Pathfinder paints?

Cause I got them all at Reapercon.

7 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

You mean my unofficial replacement labels?  yes, I'll be adding them shortly.. I have a lot of catching up to do on them

Oh, sweet, I hadn't seen these before.  I will definitely be printing these out!  And thanks also for posting the CSV.  The labels will work better with my paint storage rack once I reformat them to put the name on top.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 4:50 PM, ced1106 said:

Nice! Any chance of a comparison of the new metallics vs. other Reaper and competitor paints?

In my dreams there is a world where I swatch all of my paints onto individual strips for handy comparisons a la watercolourist Jane Blundell. (Example here.) In my reality I am way too swamped and that probably won't happen any time soon. ;->

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:41 PM, starwarsgeek said:

I noticed on the images in the webstore that these are labeled as "latex" paints and not acrylic. Do they mix well with the other MSP?

These are mixed with the same formulations as the Bones HD paints. There are some differences between that and the Core MSP line. Some consider these more or less differences. I'm in the less camp. A Bones or Pathfinder paint will likely require the addition of more water and/or medium to make it transparent, because they're formulated to be more opaque, and they're mixed as individual colours rather than in triads, but apart from that I treat them pretty much the same. 

The core of the Reaper formula is similar across the lines and they should all intermix well. You will likely find more differences between colours than between lines. What I mean by that is, certain colours require different kinds of base binder mixes, like a really dark green. That really dark green colour will require a similar base whether it's in the MSP or the Bones/Pathfinder line.*

In other words, all of Reaper's paints are latex based. Latex is a type of acrylic paint. My understanding is that miniature paints tend to be a little more latex based, or a little more vinyl based. (Vinyl based is another acrylic paint type.) The ones that have a bit of a plastic feel are the vinyl ones - P3, Vallejo Game Color and possibly core Vallejo. Not sure where GW falls in the two camps. But despite being a little more of one than another, all of those also mix together pretty well. And should also mix well or at least decently with most art store brand paints like Liquitex and Golden, or even craft paints like Apple Barrel.

My understanding is that there are a few companies whose paint may not mix well. These tend to be brands that recommend their own thinners be used rather than water. I think Tamiya is one of these. But on the whole, an acrylic paint is going to intermix with another acrylic paint.

*I'm not a paint expert. I've talked with Anne Foerster (the Reaper person who develops the paint lines) some, but they do not divulge proprietary information on their paint mixes to me or anyone else. I've studied paint some outside of my interest in mini painting. So I might be a little off-base or outright wrong, but this is my understanding based on general paint knowledge and talking with Anne about the Reaper lines specifically.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

OK great - thanks for that info.

The reason Tamiya paints don't mix well with other paint lines (or water, for that matter) is because they are actually alcohol based - yet still acrylics somehow. I'm not sure of the science but I know I read somewhere that they are not water based acrylic.

• Like 2