Sign in to follow this  
vicwiz007

All Reaper Plastic "Pre-Primed"?

I know it isn't "pre-primed", but I don't know what to call it. Just a quick question. I know Bones does not require priming if you use Reaper's own paints, but what about the rest of the plastic series? There are some from Pathfinder and others I like but need to know this beforehand and can't find the answer after googling it. Thanks

I am not a Reaperpeep. That said:

All plastic from Reaper is, to the best of my knowledge, either "Bonesium" (the original Bones PVC material) or "Bonesium Black" (Black Bonesium? Bones Blackium? BoBlanium? Whatever. The Bones Black material.)

After washing to remove mold agents and incidental person-oils, they should all behave in similar fashion.

Note that resin is not plastic. Not that Reaper produces a ton of resin, and I'm not aware of any Reaper PF resin pieces, but it's still worth mentioning.

Oh, and I think it's generally referred to as "Ready-to-paint."

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, vicwiz007 said:

I know it isn't "pre-primed", but I don't know what to call it. Just a quick question. I know Bones does not require priming if you use Reaper's own paints, but what about the rest of the plastic series? There are some from Pathfinder and others I like but need to know this beforehand and can't find the answer after googling it. Thanks

To my knowledge, all Reaper plastics except for perhaps the Base Boss stuff is in the PVC material that Bones uses. It isn't really just Reaper paints that make it not need priming; just minis acrylic paint in general. No thinning. Brown/blue liner used like a primer still helps it though (kills the hydrophobia so you have a normal surface to work with). Metal needs priming. Resin still needs priming.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

To my knowledge, all Reaper plastics except for perhaps the Base Boss stuff is in the PVC material that Bones uses. 

Yes, I did forget about Base Boss. That stuff is not the same as Bonesium. I have had good luck putting paint down without primer on the Base Boss plastic (including both the black and the translucent bases) but primer would definitely help that process. The bases to my knowledge, are not marketed as ready-to-paint.

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies. So what I understand is that they should all behave the same from the plastics section of the website.

But Cyradis, what I have seen is that people who try other paints (Vallejo for example) have a very hard time without priming Bones. I have never seen or heard anyone have trouble using the Reaper paint on them. Though I have had trouble with the Blade Steel from the starter kit. I'm guessing there are just some colors from Reaper that aren't good.

Edit- can't find this Base Boss stuff anywhere. How do I know if the plastic is of this type?

Edited by vicwiz007

Base Boss is a fancy name for their plastic bases. Those are made in house & are not the same material as Bones pvc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vicwiz007 said:

Edit- can't find this Base Boss stuff anywhere. How do I know if the plastic is of this type?

12 minutes ago, haldir said:

Base Boss is a fancy name for their plastic bases. Those are made in house & are not the same material as Bones pvc.

The Reaper Base Boss plastic bases are the same black hard plastic that GW plastic bases and many other Miniatures firms use as for their bases. 

I dont know which plastic it is. My guess is that it’s a type of polystyrene. 

• Like 1

FWIW when I first started painting Bones all I had were Vallejo paints.  If you cut them with water it is a problem, but otherwise they work fine.

• Like 1

If the paint isn't mixed well enough or if your paint/brush are too wet, it won't stick. That's why I use a brown or blue liner on my Bones, or airbrush primer, or airbrush primer + liner if I don't want it white. I can and have painted Bones without priming them. I like my paint more wet though, so I do something to take away the hydrophobia.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Auberon said:

FWIW when I first started painting Bones all I had were Vallejo paints.  If you cut them with water it is a problem, but otherwise they work fine.

I would do that because Vallejo seems better overall based on reviews but everyone seems to recommend thinning Vallejo. Only reason they don't recommend that for Reaper is because it's pre-thinned apparently. 

2 hours ago, Sanael said:

Note that resin is not plastic.

Resin is absolutely plastic. It tends to be poured into molds rather than injected under high pressure, so it gets treated differently by most painters. But resin is just plastic in a tux.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

The Reaper Base Boss plastic bases are the same black hard plastic that GW plastic bases and many other Miniatures firms use as for their bases. 

Might be polystyrene. Could also be PVC. If you're not adding stuff to change the characteristics, it can be very difficult to tell the difference between plastics. E. g., PVC without plasticizer (think PVC water pipes) is quite hard and brittle.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Considering I've used plastic cement to glue other items to the Base-Boss bases I would agree with you. It definitely isn't the same material as the Bones plastics.

Regarding paints, I've found the Vallejo paints are quite picky as to which ones work well on bones and which ones don't - specifically their model colour range tends to be a bit more problematic, but not all colours (but, having said that, I find the model colour range to be quite a 'soft' paint when dry when compared to reaper paints even on metals over a primer)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vicwiz007 said:

I would do that because Vallejo seems better overall based on reviews but everyone seems to recommend thinning Vallejo. Only reason they don't recommend that for Reaper is because it's pre-thinned apparently. 

First coat don't thin, that's the key regardless of the paint line. Once it dries, thin as desired. 

And as mentioned before, some individual colors are better or worse than others within a paint line. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, vicwiz007 said:

After washing Bones and let them dry, you need to apply the first coat of paint ( any acrylic) without thinning it with water.

After that you can paint normally.

If you want to prime, you can use the Reaper Liners, those work like a charm.

• Like 5

I'll just leave this here:

STYNYLREZ shot through an airbrush (straight from the botttle, shake WELL) at 30psi, that's all you need!

• Like 3