Sign in to follow this  
MoebiusStrip

Question about Priming Resin

Cheers,

Basically I had  primer flake of from a resin mini I painted. Are there any tips to properly clean/prep resin?

I gave it the usual bubble bath, 5-10min soak + toothbrush scrubbing. Spray primed, and during painting I noticed some parts where the primer chipped off.

The mini is from TTCombat, prior resin experience was with Mantics cast where this did not happen.

Ohterwise I only know this problem from 1/72 zvezda plastic (in which case a scrubbing with white spirits help).

Unsure about resin though, is there something similar to give a bit more tooth to the surface.

The TTCombat resin minis are visibly more shiny than the mantic stuff.

I have painted resin busts and resin terrain.

Depending on the formula of the resin it can be a pain to get that primer on.

I see you got the prepping down.

I have had succes with mixing Vallejo brush on primer ( white) with a few drops of a Reaper or Vallejo Grey like stone grey.

It gets primed grey and maybe because of the mix it doesn't flake.

For smaller pieces like terrain / bases I have had succes using the Reaper Liners just like on Bones.

• Thanks 1

Worst case, get hold of some 2part etch primer. That stuff bites. 

(The rattlecan or pre-mixed stuff slowly loses effect while in storage, so avoid that if you can)

I have some 'Zero Paints' etch primer I got from Slovenia that's supposed to be good. 

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I have some 'Zero Paints' etch primer I got from Slovenia that's supposed to be good. 

Thanks for the tip, sounds like it is for airbrush only.

Otherwise I tried gesso and reaper paint straight from the bottle. Both seem to work but need some touching up after the first once-over.

It seems to me that I miss some of the harder to reach corners with the scrubbing.

This is likely what made the spray paint flake off, patches of weak adherence without a second cover.

Anyone got any tips of how to clean these hard to reach spots?

Also on how not to break every implement they carry, so far I broke 3 of 3. Those CAD details come out almost too thin in the casts.

• Like 2

Soak it in lukewarm water with detergent in it, then use an old softer toothbrush.

Maybe a q-tip if you can't reach certain places, rinse with water afterwards again.

I drop the pieces into an ultrasonic cleaner filled with Simple Green, then rinse, dunk in water with Dawn Ultra Power Plus,  scrub with an old toothbrush and rinse again, then let air dry. Might be over kill, but I haven't had primer flake off since using this method.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

q-tip if you can't reach certain places

That sounds incredible sensible!

@Bloodhowl: Wow that sounds extreme, also extremly thourough :)

Edited by MoebiusStrip
  • Like 2