Sign in to follow this  
warlordgarou

3 headed hydra

So, this image pretty much describes how most of my games go.  I really want to find a hydra and convert one face to basically match this.   Anyone know of a hydra that only has 3 heads?  (I plan on using it in a 28mm army, so it can't be too big, but as long as it fits on a 120mm oval, I should be ok)

69388913_10219920444309736_2943680987365638144_n.jpg

• Haha 4

I think there is almost an unwritten rule A Hydra hath at least five heads.

I have some incomplete hydra pieces. From the bones ( III ?) hydra. I think I have only three heads but I am missing a leg or something. 

That one might be convertible. 

It would fit the 120mm oval. I don’t think it has a derpified head. 

Long out of production - look for the Invincible Dragon by Grenadier -

MIRDR006.jpg

Noble Knight currently has one, but it is pricey.

The Auld Grump - I also swiped the image from Noble Knight....

*EDIT* I lied - still in production from Mirliton

• Like 4

Hey I painted this guy.  It's a cool sculpt and for the time it's a pretty large piece.  It holds together well with minimal pinning.  He wound up as a Christmas gift to a friend

On 8/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Long out of production - look for the Invincible Dragon by Grenadier -

Noble Knight currently has one, but it is pricey.

The Auld Grump - I also swiped the image from Noble Knight....

*EDIT* I lied - still in production from Mirliton

I wonder of Mirliton uses the same/similar box art

grenadier-models-dragonlords-2527_1_a126108efbc3e12f8e961847dba370c9.thumb.jpg.f796a485e08063935587f2ede5205f6a.jpg

The original package was a tie in to the AD&D 1e campaign setting City-State of the Invincible Overlord, and the Invincible Dragon was the crest as show above.  Was one of my favorite non-TSR produced settings.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Clearman said:

I wonder of Mirliton uses the same/similar box art

grenadier-models-dragonlords-2527_1_a126108efbc3e12f8e961847dba370c9.thumb.jpg.f796a485e08063935587f2ede5205f6a.jpg

The original package was a tie in to the AD&D 1e campaign setting City-State of the Invincible Overlord, and the Invincible Dragon was the crest as show above.  Was one of my favorite non-TSR produced settings.

Sadly, it was for the mediocre Mayfair version, not the excellent Judge's Guild version.

Mayfair bought the rights when JG was going under, and... both gentrified and Bowdlerized it, as well as making the map a lot simpler.

Nostalgia-Briarwood-700x934.jpg

Though I am happy to say that the Necromancer Games version returned the city to its grimy, nasty, and semi-tyrannical roots.

*EDIT* I must admit to a bias - I liked Judge's Guld adventures and setting better than TSR's. By a lot.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4

Interesting, I never knew of the Judges Guild version.  It never popped up in the store I frequented in my youth.

Is this a rat hole I want to go down?

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

Interesting, I never knew of the Judges Guild version.  It never popped up in the store I frequented in my youth.

Is this a rat hole I want to go down?

Maybe?

226965.jpg

Colorized map from Tenkar's Tavern.

A PDF of the original Invincible Overlord is only $5 at Drive Thrue RPG.

The PDF of the 3e edition is $28.50. (I have and love both, along with the less loved Mayfair Games edition.)

But some background on Judges Guild -

TSR did not make the first published adventures for the original D&D - that was Judges Guild.

TSR did not make the first published setting for the original D&D - that was Judges Guild.

TSR did not make the first published character sheets for the original D&D - that was Judges Guild.

It was only after Judges Guild proved that there was money to be made that TSR decided to publish anything aside from the boxed game itself - Gygax was so convinced that there was no money in it that he gave the rights to Bledsaw for free. (Not exclusive rights - merely the rights to publish material for D&D.)

Judges Guild Journal and The Dragon Magazine started the same year - 1976.

TSR had much more polished products, but Judges Guild were larger, and printed on the cheapest paper they could find.

And the settings... The Wilderlands setting, including The City State, still stand up today. If you ever here the term 'Hex crawling' - the Wilderlands is where that began. Huge maps, with encounters detailed by what hex they are found in.

Player maps showing major roads and rivers - and that's it, and DM maps detailing everything.

The Auld Grump - I was in my early teens when City State and the Wilderlands first appeared, I am definitely looking back with Nostalgia Spectacles.

*EDIT* If you like Frog God, odds are you will like the old Judges Guild stuff - it is what the crew at Frog God was playing when they first started with D&D.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent summary.  This also explains why I was not familiar with the Judges Guild version.  I was just getting into D&D as a teenager as the Moral Panic of the early-80s was winding down.  

Box art for Mirliton, I have this dragon waiting for paint.

Grenadier Invincible Dragon - kopie.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1