Sign in to follow this  
Iridil

Advice sought - adding wings to bones unicorn

Hi all,

My daughter wanted an alicorn, so -----

Any tips/thoughts/approaches to share to adding wings to this?

I currently have the griffon to steal wings from

image.png.4115d0ee2fc716c0e97853b5082f418f.png

Not sure how to start - what would be the best way to carve out a place for the tabs, or would another approach work better?

Thanks!

image.png

• Like 4

Funny you're using these two minis.  I used them previously to create a hippogryph!  WIP for fun (it's actually mostly painted and just lounging on the SoS while I attend to other projects):  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64563-hippogryph-hippogriff-conversion-pic-heavy/&tab=comments#comment-1227732

For Bones, it's more than sufficient to pin and glue.  Even pinning may be overkill, but I'd pin.  No need to try to carve tabs or anything.  I'd say cut the tabs off the wings, so you have a flattish surface, flatten Silverthorn's back just a bit where the wings will attach (to minimize gapping), then drill and pin.  Finish up with a little greenstuff.

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 5

Separate the wings from the Griffin first. 

The grade of bones material that was white cuts easily with scalpels or with snap-blade knives. 

Get some Loctite brand superglue. 

If your  daughter (how old?) is tough on toys, pinning is a good idea. Have you pinned anything before?

They do make an alicorn. But it is metal. 

SureHold Plastic Surgery (available from True Value Hardware) is my personal favorite super glue for plastic thingies.

• Like 3

Thanks for the tips - just to add, I am making this conversion and then my 8yr old daughter wants to paint it as her mount in a kid D&D game I'm hosting.

• Like 6

On 8/31/2019 at 7:21 PM, Iridil said:

Thanks for the tips - just to add, I am making this conversion and then my 8yr old daughter wants to paint it as her mount in a kid D&D game I'm hosting.

So, how did it go?

• Like 2

All - my daughter, perhaps predictably, decided to just paint both minis! When I told her that meant it will just be a unicorn and can't fly, she shrugged and started painting blood on the griffon claws :)

We have since adventured a few times with that unicorn, a giant spider, and her druid character, leaving a trail of very confused kobolds....

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Your daughter has a future for being an artist. The griffon will definitely look bad without his wings, she might have thought of that too. :winkthumbs:

• Like 3