Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

Experiments with expanding foam

I know about the craft article on filling a bucket with sand and spraying foam in the space carved out.  I don't have a ton of time so didn't do that. I DID take a few sheets of parchment paper, a few sections of plastic fruit containers lined with parchment paper, and sprayed a can's worth of expanding insulation foam to make some hills.

Because of needing to get by with a stroller, foam was packed up after an hour to continue curing.

In a few days I'll seal with brown craft paint and modgepodge, then experiment with flocking.

20190831_144509.jpg

20190831_144541.jpg

20190831_123945.jpg

• Like 5

Yikes, that's still off gassing a ton. Back outside to air. Doesn't seem to be expanding any more. Really rigid already.

Anybody have tips about cutting it? (other than wear a mask).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BLZeebub said:

Super-new breakaway razors are great.  Not sure if a hot wire cutter would do it, but I bet it would (outside of course!).

Ditto on the razor knives.  Do not worry about hot wire cutters.  You can also use bread knives or sharp serrated knives.  I have not found much use for the foam aside from backfill for solid structures. 

I'm really just experimenting. I think a few can be used as hills or rocks. I'll have to see.

Plan on cutting a few so they lie flat then will seal and flock as appropriate

I got about 1.5 x 2 ft of surface from one can. About 1 inch deep mostly 2-3 for some I was trying to get higher.

20190901_071702.jpg

20190901_071720.jpg

20190901_071738.jpg

• Like 4

Ugh that looks disgusting. Will totally need another coat of paint and modgepodge. Places I cut are super absorbent. Might add some grey for stone in a few spots and blue for ice /snow. Don't think I'll leave any just brown. More stuff here than I can hope to use really. Will pick out best pieces and practice on rest.

20190901_164942.jpg

20190901_164925.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 6

I have no ice terrain let's work on some of that... I won't even have to do any flocking so it'll be fast. That said I love the irridescence. Next comes sponge white... Maybe many coats. There are 3 kinds of blue here. Last 2 pics have stippled turquoise. Others just navy and teal.

20190913_163308.jpg

20190913_163204.jpg

20190913_175604.jpg

20190913_175626.jpg

• Like 6

Super happy with how things look after sponging on white

20191004_211134.jpg

20191004_211212.jpg

Less happy with other stuff. Tried sponging brown then green on some to be flocked pieces. The big one is always gonna look weird... Landfill? It looks like moldy home made bread.

The smaller flatter piece looks better, but I won't be able to get some of those deep yellow bits. Debating making sides a grey stone but okay with stuff so far. Green has really faded on that one

20191004_211057.jpg

20191004_211246.jpg

20191004_211353.jpg

20191004_211427.jpg

• Like 6

We had a little hobby time get together at my FLGS and I had them put the Terrain Tutor on the TV while we beavered away.   As it happened his video about using expanding foam was in the rotation and as far as I noticed he sold it as something to use if you couldn't get  the sheets of insulation foam.   Also as far as I saw, he made a point of cutting away all the skin as he formed his hills.

Just something that popped up and made me think about this thread.  In any case, I think that the last few pics show an interesting texture  It might be interesting to make a big mold out of aluminum foil in a bucket of sand and see what kind of rock you could make that way.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

1)point of cutting away all the skin as he formed his hills.

2)It might be interesting to make a big mold out of aluminum foil in a bucket of sand and see what kind of rock you could make that way.   

1) yeah would be easier but require way more of something to seal/prime.

2) I kinda did this for a few things

Had some rough forma from aluminum food trays that I shaped then lined with parchment for easier tearaway . Would just do the foil another time but not sure how to protect from sticking

Getting back to this. Trying to figure out how to salvage my big piece (hinted at in graveyard thread and reposted here). May cut more off and also spackle a bit to even it off, and then flock the top.20200523_105806.thumb.jpg.6c3689281497c1cc3824c43a3ddae038.jpg

Have done the smaller hill as scatter (will eventually base it on tough chipboard I have from various mailers but need to find). I want some scatter for my graveyard/cemetery.

20200523_130917.jpg

20200523_131000.jpg

20200523_131057.jpg

20200523_131143.jpg

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      I have been wanting to build tree bases of several trees each for use at home. (Conventions will probably require individual trees for transport reasons.). I finally got around to starting a few test bases today.

This one is approximately done, and uses a base with some extra scenic materials started at a workshop at Gencon last year.

The next two are in progress.  I need to paint the rocks, add some flock, and then glue down the trees.  While I would expect that 10-15 bases will be wanted for at-home gaming, three will have to do for now, and should feature in the current digression project, an attempt to paint/build everything new for a small-ish skirmish game.

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chriskrenn/woodland-tribe?ref=discovery_category_newest

Story
        WOODLAND TRIBE is a 3D miniature Kickstarter that includes a collection of 3D printable characters ready to tell their story on your tabletop role playing or war game.  The high-resolution, high-detail level in each and every one of the figures make them stand perfectly as miniature sculpts on your gaming table or scaled up as huge collectibles for display.  We worked really hard from the very beginning of each concept to the final 3D ready-to-print model in order to create the very best product for you to have fun printing, painting and using it in your favorite game!  As you will for sure enjoy your favourite WOODLAND TRIBE sculpt and its creating process, we are absolutely convinced that it will definitely be the jaw-dropping item on the table!
        The story: 
      The Woodland Tribe were known for their tool trade. Their druids would listen to the land and feel for where an Elkin had fallen, mythical beasts whose antlers grant strange and wondrous powers to those that know how to unlock their secrets. The Woodland Tribe were makers of the finest wares in all the land. They supplied blacksmiths with the handles for their hammers, stocks for hunters rifles, shafts for archers arrows, poles for fisherman. The owners of these tools prized their belongings above all others for they never broke and gave them a sense of well-being.
      Then disagreement broke out among the council of druids and the delicate harmony between the tribes, maintained for a thousand years, was broken, and the world wept.
      The sky broke, and torrential rains fell for a month straight. The lands were divided and war broke out. Now each tribe fights to protect their land and families, their homes and livelihoods. Instead of tools of trade the Woodland Tribe now makes weapons of war, and they do not share.
        Hanola - Druid in Training
      Hanola feels the fury of the storm, the raging river, and the roaring fire in her bones and channels that when she goes to war. But a druid must also find peace. Maybe if there’s an end to the tribe wars she’ll find that too.
      Alliar - Reckless Batter
      Alliar used to play Pineball and was her team’s star hitter. That was before the tribe wars took her husband. Now she still hits, but instead of scoring goals she racks up kills.
      Gha’Rook - Heaving Golliath
      The Rooks have always been seen as beasts of burden, but when the tribe wars began they quickly became living siege weapons. Gha’Rook breaks all manner of things; walls, skulls, backs, arms, legs, hopes, and a few dreams too.
      Lithilla - Shadow Spear
      Lithilla stalks the shadows, looking for easy prey. The weak and old, the unwary. The last things her victims know is her spear piercing them in the back.

Lachial - Holder of Fate
      The pool Lachial watches over is said to hold visions of the past, the future, but never the present. To see the present one need look anywhere but her waters.
        <Removed - nudity>    Grosteppa - Hacking Thespian
      No one in the Woodland Tribe knows where Grosteppa came from. He was a dancer, in another life, but now his frenzied moves no longer bring cheers and applause but the sound of breaking bones and splashing blood.
      Sial - Hacking Razor
      Before the tribe wars, Sial made handles for the razors barbers used. Now she wields a razor made from a Krezok claw, and she cuts throats, not hair.
      Sestan - Beast Tamer
      While the Woodland Tribe’s druids locate fallen Elkin, it’s the beast tamers that go out and collect the horns. Sestan had only worked a year collecting horns before the wars broke out and she longs for a day when she can go back to the way things were. 
      Gnalk - Woodland Elder
      Gnalk was trained as a druid in his youth, but the land began to reject him once he passed the trial of adulthood. The woodlands sensed an inferno of anger deep within Gnalk and would no longer heed his call.
      Gnalk did the unthinkable and trained himself to be a blacksmith. Now with druidic knowledge and trained as a blacksmith, Gnalk has become the leader of the Woodland Tribe. Now the land has once again begun to listen to him, knowing a strong leader is the only way the wars will end.
        Nesk - Eyes of the Eagle
      Brother to Rarl, Nesk once sipped waters from a stream not far from Lachial’s pool. Now Nesk sees more than most and his keen vision grants him the ability to throw his spear with incredible accuracy.
      Rarl - Arms of Stone
      Rarl, brother of Nesk, is unable to speak. Years ago his tongue was cut from his mouth when he spoke out against Gnalk being made leader of the Woodland Tribe. No one knew the nature of their dispute, but now Rarl is fiercely loyal to Gnalk.
      The Stag King

Bones Giant
      Walnta - Breaking Beast
      The Woodland Tribe trained Walntas for generations to carry their wares to neighboring lands. The massive beasts understand basic speech and are typically gentle, but the Woodland Tribe knows how to change that. The druids mix a concoction of water pulled from Lachial’s pool and the visions of past and future drive the Walntas into a rage.
      1 inch LED base to for epic minis

• By justcallmej
      Citadel for 3D Printing on Kickstarter
      Review with test prints at Haldane Creations
      Funded and many stretchgoals Open

• By Lidless Eye
      I've been waiting to post this until I have enough, but I've just been working on random pieces of scatter terrain in between other projects.

Any 3D printed parts are done on my Creality Ender 3.

Trees from EC3D

Trees from Dark Realms

Barrel, +3 Barrel of Sundering (Warhammer props)

Wood bundle, Alchemist's Table and Shelf from Vae Victis, I've honestly forgotten who the other designs were from.

"The beacons are lit!  Gondor calls for aid!"

Beacon Tower from RMPrintables

Lounge Chair from Impact! Miniatures, awning from Warhammer, weapon pile from The Hobbit, treasure piles from Reaper Miniatures.

Fantasy Objective Tokens by PhysUdo on Thingiverse.

Ogre Totem from Warhammer, Town Fountain 3D print from unknown, Alchemist's Wares & Firestick Bundle from Vae Victis, Sandbags by MegaBlox, one tree/odd plant is an old Marauder Giant club and the other is from a Gandalf action figure.

• By Rob Dean
      Just before everything shut down, I ordered a Hot Wire Foam Factory kit, and picked up a few easy-to-handle 2x2 foot sections of one-inch pink board.  The first warm day, I took it outside and cut a couple of trial hills:

I have an FLG game mat lining my gaming table, and I hoped that the usual Woodland Scenics flock would be suitable in color.  Unfortunately, with the first hill I tried flocking, I found that I had misplaced my reserve flock supply, and that I did not have any lighter green.

Nevertheless, it looked close enough for gaming, so I ordered more flock.

The second hill, a dedicated corner piece for my small table, was delayed until the flock arrived, but got an an attempt at a more mottled appearance.

With yesterday’s remote game, I finally had a chance to open the table (which has been functioning mostly as my partner’s work-from-home space) and try the hill in the corner.

I think that’s close enough for gaming, so that’s probably what I’ll be going forward with.

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)