Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

Things I wish I'd known before my first ReaperCon

I wish I'd brought paints. Making do with the class paints is fine for classes, but it's hard to just sit down and spend a couple hours painting without ... well, paints.  Along the same lines, superglue would have been handy once or twice.

There wasn't much point in bringing unpainted miniatures.  They abound.  My brother attended also and carefully brought a half dozen unpainted minis, all of which are returning home exactly as they arrived.

All through June I checked eagerly waiting for the schedule of games to be posted so I could work out my schedule.  Eventually I went ahead and scheduled classes without that information, and then forgot to look for the games again until the day before leaving for the con.  I did get some gaming in, but it was mostly board games.  Those are great!  I love board games.  Just not as much as I love RPGs.  So ... for future, I should not give up on checking for the game schedules quite so soon, and definitely not forget to do that until the last minute.

I had no idea how many small pieces of paper I would need to keep track of: class tickets, raffle tickets (in two colors!), class handouts, receipts for contest entries, Reaper Bucks.

Look through your swag bag carefully.  I failed to do this, and didn't realize until just a few moments ago that it contained a folder that might have helped with that (not to mention containing some things like a vendor bingo card that I didn't fill out because I didn't find it until now.

If you want to participate in the raffles, find a schedule of when they're occurring so you can show up.  I had no idea when they were and I think I missed a couple.

There is food at the hotel, but it tends to be expensive and there's not a lot of variety.  It's entirely possible to go over to the small colony of fast-food and semi-fast-food joints beyond the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in the parking lot, but if you're on foot it's quite a hike in the muggy August heat of Texas.  Pedestrians should plan on blocking in a full hour to get there, eat, and get back.  And drink lots of water, which is a good idea anyway.

Put your schedule on your own calendar.  And possibly those of your traveling companions (if any) so that you can A) remember when and where you've got classes/events, and B) coordinate with people.

I think those are the major things.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 11:59 PM, wdmartin said:

Look through your swag bag carefully.  I failed to do this, and didn't realize until just a few moments ago that it contained a folder that might have helped with that (not to mention containing some things like a vendor bingo card that I didn't fill out because I didn't find it until now.

Yes, I try to remind people every year to do this on your first night, because otherwise you will miss stuff.  

I bring cleaned and primed minis to work on when I have time to sit.  But unless you have a portable lamp, too, you won't be able to see well enough to do more than basecoat.  I know it's possible to use brush on primer to prep minis in the hall, but who wants to wait for primer to dry when you could be painting. 

Not knowing when the raffle(s) would be held was a major disappointment for me too.

• Like 9

Food: last year we spent a fortune on sit down meals. We enjoyed it but our pocketbook didn't. This year we went to the Winco and got some premade salads to put in the mix. It was only 3 meals across the entire weekend but helped quite a bit.

• Like 9

I also went to Winco -- it's pretty close, maybe a five-minute walk -- and got six-packs of soda to keep in the fridge in my room. That way I got exactly the kind I wanted, and it was way cheaper than buying them as singles.

• Like 5

I had access to a kind soul with an automobile.  Case of sda and some snacks from Wal-Mart covered me nicely.  I actually only ate breakfast (hotel spread is great and Miss Rita will simg for you) amd lunch (I hit upbtje food truck every day, 10 dollar Asian bowl lasts a long time.  I used my evening calories for the free bar hours and snacks (YMMV but hey, it worked for me).  Only sit down dinner was the forumite get together on Sunday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

These are all fantastic points, and thanks for posting them up here for others to see! There's so much going on there that sensory overload is very likely. Not just so much all at once, but there is a lot to do packed into the weekend. I have only been going for two years now, but I still haven't done everything.

• Like 4

I will add that you should actually read the program book when you get it. It will show new reaper releases as well as any show specials and exclusives. The vendors also have coupons in there sometimes that can be very helpful. Go through all of those bits of paper as well. There can be coupons and specials hiding in there as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Something I wish I'd known my first year is to plan literally half a day for the tour. There's travel time there and back, the tour and then bits shopping after. Also, bring a list of what you're looking for! 

Super important: stay hydrated! The hotel has lots of nice water stations around, which makes it much easier. 

Something new I learned this year is that as an instructor, I need to make a schedule for myself (not just classes, but time for meals, when I will be at my booth, etc.). I, uh, ended up accidentally skipping a couple of meals because I hadn't scheduled in time for them and I was doing so many things! (I had protein bars and peanut butter crackers for such occasions so I didn't starve, but yeah, food is important). 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Something new I learned this year is that as an instructor, I need to make a schedule for myself (not just classes, but time for meals, when I will be at my booth, etc.). I, uh, ended up accidentally skipping a couple of meals because I hadn't scheduled in time for them and I was doing so many things!

Ha!  Yes.  My brother was in your Fun With Shiny Paints class, and he said you looked a bit frazzled.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, wdmartin said:

Ha!  Yes.  My brother was in your Fun With Shiny Paints class, and he said you looked a bit frazzled.

If it was my Saturday class, I was a bit! :lol: Having 14 people show up when you only have materials for 12 (my max) was a bit concerning (also running out of wash medium!) but everything worked out and it seemed like everyone had a good time. I know I did! 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 7

Those on foot without friends who have cars might also check whether the hotel has a shuttle available. I'm pretty sure that ours does, but not 100% sure. Those will typically go in a 3-5 mile radius, handily in distance of the Razor Ranch food options nearby.

• Like 4

Sounds like ReaperCon is fabulous, especially the people. I can hardly wait. Looks like it will be 2021 though. Is the event always on Labor Day Weekend?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cajunwolfman said:

Sounds like ReaperCon is fabulous, especially the people. I can hardly wait. Looks like it will be 2021 though. Is the event always on Labor Day Weekend?

Has been so far. I don't foresee that changing... 

• Like 1