nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

So I’m actually taking my first vacation in 9 years to come hang out with you lunatics. :)  

Never been to Texas either; I’m gonna try the PeeWee Herman “Deep In The Heart of Texas” thing. 

Any advice for a ReaperCon first-timer? Any classes I should be sure to catch?  And more importantly, where the best food nearby? Is there a wife daycare? Kidding, kidding. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jellyranger69 said:

So I’m actually taking my first vacation in 9 years to come hang out with you lunatics. :)  

Never been to Texas either; I’m gonna try the PeeWee Herman “Deep In The Heart of Texas” thing. 

Any advice for a ReaperCon first-timer? Any classes I should be sure to catch?  And more importantly, where the best food nearby? Is there a wife daycare? Kidding, kidding. 

Get a Bingo card (shameless self promotion).

Definitely mingle if you’re that type.

Talk to the artists on artist row. They are sort of chained there, and get lonely. 

Go do some Hobby Hijinks: Sophie Says, Paint by Die Roll, etc.

The for-sure classes to take would be the ones that interest you the most. That seems like a cop out but it isn’t really. Be sure to not load yourself up with classes and allow time to absorb and practice what you’ve learned.

Best food is again subjective. I liked the little hole in the wall Mexican place near the grocery store. But that’s mostly due to time constraints I put upon myself. The hotel lunch wasn’t bad, but it is more expensive. In & Out is close, if that’s a must try. And if time/money is an issue, the grocery store can provide supplies for sandwiches at lunch.

Daycare... may be expensive. There’s a lot to go do and see in the DFW area, so just need to plan based on interests. Lots of angelic spouses (approve but don’t hobby) wander about. Knitting, crochet, and also gaming. Factory tour. The con is getting big enough one could almost organize offsite trips to places. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jellyranger69 said:

I went for the first time this year, and you're already ahead of the curve just by being on the forum!

I brought my wife and kids and they all got into it and had a great time.  They told me they wanted to come back next year after the first couple of days.  I took a class with my wife and the kids took a class each.  They all enjoyed the Paint-n-Take and Hobby Hijinks tables and other activities.

My advice would be to try to get your wife to participate.  Take the Mini Painting 101 class with her.  If she has a great time, you’re much more likely to get to come back later :poke:

Here she is painting Amiri - I got the one in my WIP thread in the same class!

24009F99-A040-4E8F-B4B8-C485D43724BB.jpeg

Edited by rubegon
  • Like 6

On 11/8/2019 at 8:09 AM, Pegazus said:

Get a Bingo card (shameless self promotion).

Definitely mingle if you’re that type.

Talk to the artists on artist row. They are sort of chained there, and get lonely. 

Go do some Hobby Hijinks: Sophie Says, Paint by Die Roll, etc.

The for-sure classes to take would be the ones that interest you the most. That seems like a cop out but it isn’t really. Be sure to not load yourself up with classes and allow time to absorb and practice what you’ve learned.

Best food is again subjective. I liked the little hole in the wall Mexican place near the grocery store. But that’s mostly due to time constraints I put upon myself. The hotel lunch wasn’t bad, but it is more expensive. In & Out is close, if that’s a must try. And if time/money is an issue, the grocery store can provide supplies for sandwiches at lunch.

Daycare... may be expensive. There’s a lot to go do and see in the DFW area, so just need to plan based on interests. Lots of angelic spouses (approve but don’t hobby) wander about. Knitting, crochet, and also gaming. Factory tour. The con is getting big enough one could almost organize offsite trips to places. 

Addendum:

There is a very large shopping center on the main street the Convention Center is off of [by about a quarter mile] that includes a Wally World Super Center.  Numerous places to eat at located here and between there and the hotel.

There is a lot of road construction going on on I-35 so allow a little extra time if that is going to be your route of travel to the Hotel, which is visible from the freeway.

If you have never driven in Texas you need to be aware of a unique, but sensible system of frontage roads with what can be a tricky method for reversing your direction of travel.  Also, the on and of ramps require an alert and vigilant awareness of the exact configuration as traffic is entering and exiting at speed.  For those driving in from the eastern states, be aware that the Basic Speed Limit in Texas is 75 mph, not just on the Interstate but on two lane country roads, so the speeds on secondary roads may be higher than you are accustomed to.

• Like 5

On 11/5/2019 at 8:13 AM, TaleSpinner said:

That explains the the red rash then. ::P:  I was kind of bummed, I kept wanting to talk you you this go around, but every time I had an opportunity, you were off in the opposite direction, disappearing around a corner.  I started thinking you were trying to hide from me.

Heh, I'm still sculpting for Bones V.  My sculpting backlog is getting considerable. Once I clear that,THEN I can consider painting something.

Sorry about that.

I'm getting around a little better [and faster] now that I've taken my Doctors advice and started using CBD oil as part of my daily supplement regimen.  I can hardly believe how effective this is in suppressing the Arthritis Inflammation and pain.

For future reference:  You can always leave a message on the white board that is suspended from our door in the hotel.

We asked for and received the same room as the first year at the Hilton, 9th floor just off the elevator.  My avatar is on the white board if there is any confusion.

GEM

I'm adding to my character repertoire, since the theme is "Pirate" look for the biggest black tri-corn with silver piping.  I'll be under it, probably in a blue period appropriate jacket.

• Like 5

On 11/5/2019 at 1:07 PM, klarg1 said:

What I'm hearing is that I can't score a gold in this category even if I threaten to obliterate the convention center from orbit.

You guys are tough.

(I was assuming @Colonel Kane was referring to the space craft rather than the rock, but I could be wrong.)

If you obliterate the C.C. form orbit that implies that all the awards would also be obliterated, making it very difficult for the awards to be handed out.

Be advised that a strike sufficient to obliterate the C.C. would have a high probability of damaging/destroying Reaper HQ, which would serve to severely annoy the surviving Reaper Peeps worldwide.  These are not people whose "Bad" list you want to be on.

GEM

On 11/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, rubegon said:

Thanks @Pegazus and @Green Eyed Monster.  GEM - were you giving out the green "Twinkled" ribbons?  If so, I think my kids cornered you for ribbons in the elevator as we were going to check out on Monday.  I don't even know how they found out you had ribbons to give out!

Yes, I meant to buy 1 VIP pass for me, 2 regular adult passes for my wife and 13yr old, and a child pass for our youngest.  That's what we did this past RC, but I registered too late to sign up for the classes I wanted.  I took a few that I could get into, but was only able to get the kids into the Gathering of the Adventurers/Monsters class.  They wanted to do the Bones Mashup, Chibi, and unicorns/dragons class too. 

I signed everyone up for their classes from my login as well Pegazus.  I guess what I meant to ask is whether I'm supposed to be able to sign the rest of my group up for classes early too, sort of the way your whole party can join your boarding group when you're getting on a plan.  I wouldn't want to take advantage of a loophole in the system to do it if that's not the intent.

I thought the VIP pass was a good value as well, GEM.  I got one set of the PF paints, and then bought the other at the Reaper shop.  It wouldn't be worth it to get VIP passes for the whole family, though.  My wife is a good sport - she took the 101 class and painted during the con and had fun, but she doesn't do it otherwise.  The kids paint a little, but they're not that into it.  VIP passes for everyone would cost me an extra $425 (my daughter's child pass is free).  I'd essentially be buying 3 extra VIP swag bags so that I can sign them up for a couple of classes early.

Do all of the classes fill up right away?  Do you all think I'd be able to get the kids into the mashup and other kid-friendly classes if I don't get them VIP passes?

I spend most of my day a lot of the time talking to people, and I'm the same way!  People at work would never call me an introvert, but at a party I'm usually most comfortable alone in a corner or talking with 1 person about some very specific common interest - work, a hobby-related thing, etc.  I don't really do small talk.  Effective personal interaction can be an acquired skill for an introvert (even a mastered one), but it take a lot out of us to practice it.

That was me. :poke:

I made it a point to try to include all the children that I encountered by giving them ribbons.

I'm planning to do more for this next year, time permitting.

We are in the process of an interstate move involving the development from a bare sagebrush covered  lot of our "Country Hideaway".

Not all of the classes fill early, the beginner level classes seem to sell out earliest.  Keep in mind that Reaper has a policy of reserving two seats in each class that are not made available until very late in the evening prior to the class, and that there are sometimes drop outs due to personal scheduling issues.

GEM

Looking forward to seeing you in 2020.

• Like 4

On 11/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, Colonel Kane said:

NEFO= Nuke Em From Orbit, it kind of has be come my new catch phrase. 

As to the painting entry, I doubt I would enter anything into the competition. My painting skills are not where near that good. I was being a smart butt as usual. I would not want to cheapen the contest with my meager skills.

Don't underestimate yourself.

The fact that you are self aware enough to grade your own skills as inadequate indicates you are willing to work on improvement, which is a major part of the judging.

Pick one of your best pieces and give it a shot.  If nothing else, you will get some constructive feedback that will help you to work on areas where you are currently not up to your own judgement.

I entered a piece for the first time last year [actually ended up with three entries] {first ever entering a project in an art judging} and to my shock I ended up with a Bronze and a Certificate, and best of all, some advice on where to push for improvement.

GEM

• Like 3

I am looking forward to the classes on shading and highlighting. Last year I was in the Secret Sophie swap and have to admit I was quite embarrassed to send my effort to my exchange partner after seeing what I received. I have to learn more so that I can send someone something worth receiving! Also, getting to meet so many forum friends.

• Like 5

On 11/7/2019 at 8:47 PM, Colonel Kane said:

As to the painting entry, I doubt I would enter anything into the competition. My painting skills are not where near that good. ... I would not want to cheapen the contest with my meager skills.

If you enter, and you should, you'll be better than one of the two of us.