nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

12 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

That said, VIP swag bag is 125 extra and included the Meet'n'Greet ticket (could be purchased individually by 4 day passholders for $10).

it also included one of the pathfinder paint sets (Which one was random, but $99.99 value)

Wait... Wow! A whole Pathfinder Paint Set is included with the price of a VIP ticket for ReaperCon?! Was that a one-time thing or are Paint Sets (Pathfinder or otherwise) always included?

I had only intended to get a regular ticket but I might serious consider a VIP one now if I can get a Paint Set too. 

(Are the contents of the Regular and VIP Swag Bags usually revealed to ticket purchasers ahead of time or are they a surprise on the day?)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kalibak said:

Wait... Wow! A whole Pathfinder Paint Set is included with the price of a VIP ticket for ReaperCon?! Was that a one-time thing or are Paint Sets (Pathfinder or otherwise) always included?

I had only intended to get a regular ticket but I might serious consider a VIP one now if I can get a Paint Set too. 

(Are the contents of the Regular and VIP Swag Bags usually revealed to ticket purchasers ahead of time or are they a surprise on the day?)

the paint set was new. Previous VIp bags have had extra paint compared to the normal one, but not a full paint set like the pathfinder case we got last year

i cannot confirm or deny if next year will be the same

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Contents of the bag are mostly revealed when you purchase. Of course, Reaper will throw in a few surprises. Also not mention, but it's been in the bag every year the last few but there is a $25 dollar gift certificate, usable only at the Reaper shop at the hotel (ie their booth, not online or at the factory store). The last couple of years, Reaper has thrown also a hotel goodie bag in for staying at the Hilton (the Con hotel). Mainly a themed mini (first year was zombie butler & cleaning lady zombie & this year's was a zombie chef.

Overall the value of the bags outweighs the cost for them. You definitely get your money's worth by buying them.

• Like 6

I will probably kick myself, but this year will probably just get the regular package, Frees up $$ for classes and shopping. If I did fantasy I would be a LOT more tempted to get the VIP bag for the minis and since my painting is mostly specific units, color variety is not as great a need as repeatable specific colors.

• Like 3

I kind of, sort of, almost, but not quite know what I might be painting for the con this year, so...progress!  I'm torn between this guy:

B3.jpg.9ae6d66d4e8184d5bb4a9c8f194518d9.jpg

And this one:

G1.jpg.07bb65b85f36f4a1e431030b9e98d550.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

[Grumble]

As it is right now, I have no idea if I'll be able to attend RCon 2020 or not. <_<

I can afford it, but with my looming unemployment and possible re-employment somewhere else, I have no idea what sort of work/vacation schedule I'll have. Especially if the job I want is in a remote fly-in/fly-out site. Either with a 7-7 or 14-14 rotation. And I'll be starting with limited vacation time on my first year.

So many unknowns.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

[Grumble]

As it is right now, I have no idea if I'll be able to attend RCon 2020 or not. <_<

I can afford it, but with my looming unemployment and possible re-employment somewhere else, I have no idea what sort of work/vacation schedule I'll have. Especially if the job I want is in a remote fly-in/fly-out site. Either with a 7-7 or 14-14 schedule. And I'll be starting with limited vacation time on my first year.

So many unknowns.

I feel you.  Looking ahead to the coming year, it looks like I'm going to make this year myself.  One, I've got a bunch of expenses coming up that would make the finances tight.  Also, depending on which college(s) Middle Daughter is accepted to, I may be moving her in to her dorm as far away as North Carolina.

• Sad 5

Wife and I were talking about potential vacation options in the coming year and I suggested a long weekend in Texas for Reapercon. Though she's not really into painting, she does enjoy conventions in general.and we've neither of us been to Texas. So it's definitely a possibility. Problem is, we both have fairly busy work schedules around that time of year. So while we may plan to attend now, that could change as the con gets nearer. So, with that in mind, I've got a few questions for those of you familiar with how things work...

1. I know hotel blocks open soon. And if we go we'd prefer to get a room reserved at the con hotel. Does anyone know if a room reserved as part of the convention block is able to be cancelled if necessary without penalty? Or are you locked in since I'm assuming the con block of rooms is a special price? 

2. Anyone know about how far in advance of the con VIP tickets go on sale? The closer to the convention date the better as we will both have a better idea of our work schedules. 

3. If our schedules change after purchasing passes are you able to get a refund on them? And if so, is there a cutoff date for doing that? 

Thanks all!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

1. I know hotel blocks open soon. And if we go we'd prefer to get a room reserved at the con hotel. Does anyone know if a room reserved as part of the convention block is able to be cancelled if necessary without penalty? Or are you locked in since I'm assuming the con block of rooms is a special price? 

You can cancel your room at anytime up to 24 hours prior to the first day without charge.

8 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

2. Anyone know about how far in advance of the con VIP tickets go on sale? The closer to the convention date the better as we will both have a better idea of our work schedules.

I believe they go on sale in mid June.

8 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

3. If our schedules change after purchasing passes are you able to get a refund on them? And if so, is there a cutoff date for doing that? 

You can until mid August or possibly even later for those short notice issues that seem to crop up. You would just need to contact Reaper. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

IIRC, you can cancel up to a few (how many, I don't know) days before the convention without penalty. You can confirm this through the hotel pretty easily.

The more important question is how far in advance they go off sale. Last year the cutoff was something like a month before the con, because they have to build VIP swag bags, which is a significant job.

Thanks all!

Reaper has been good about that in the past, though I don't know that they have an obligation. They understand that things come up and it's not like it's difficult to sell the class tickets that get released, so it's an easy customer service call.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

because they have to build VIP swag bags, which is a significant job.

One year early arrivees got to  help in assembly of the bags (cause well it's Reaper). I think these were still the just regular swag bags as it was either our first or 2nd year at the HGI in Lewisville (firepit outside HGI). Gotta love assembling swag bags with the likes of Jason Wiebe, Bobby Jackson, Micheal Proctor & Bob Ridolfi!

Even worst was finding out a vendor piece was suppose to go into every bag & we only found said box after assembling a room full of them that had a few in them already.............:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Watching Reaper Live and @Clever Crow (Michael Procter) talked about having a new painting category. Best painted Sophie with a first, second, third and a trophy (but not a Sophie trophy).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, TripleH said:

Watching Reaper Live and @Clever Crow (Michael Procter) talked about having a new painting category. Best painted Sophie with a first, second, third and a trophy (but not a Sophie trophy).

Paint a Reaper non-Sophie, win a Sophie trophy.

Paint a Sophie, win a Reaper non-Sophie trophy.

I don't see how that could be confusing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6