Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

39 minutes ago, Inarah said:

How long before the Hilton website goes down? Any bets? 

How fast do the rooms usually sell out?  Is this going to be like trying to get tickets to a Van Halen concert in the 80s? 

Edited by rubegon
  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ah this one is so much better, yes?

Even though ReaperCon wasn't live this year, I still couldn't pass up the chance to dress as Pirate Sophie for a couple of my classes!       A huge thank-you to everyone that

Posted Images

• Forum Mascot
6 hours ago, rubegon said:

How fast do the rooms usually sell out?  Is this going to be like trying to get tickets to a Van Halen concert in the 80s? 

I'm not sure that's a useful guide.  Last year's con grew by several hundred, this year might be bigger yet, and Reaper has been promoting the room blocks much more widely than usual.  Let me put it this way:  usually we're pretty confident we'll get a room at the con hotel like we always do, but this year we want to be sure we're on it fast.  It might prove unnecessary, but better to be paranoid with a room than confident on the curb.  

• Like 5

bleh i'm of two minds...on one hand, i really want to make sure i have a hotel room. but on the other hand, hubby hates reserving something this far out

we also live in town now, and he'd rather drive each day, but i don't want to do that either

he's at work so not like we can just talk about this today before the rooms go live, so hopefully they don't sell out immediately

though it sounds like he wants to wait till closer to Rcon to get a room, and if they're sold out then we'll just drive

Edited by Sirithiliel

There seems to be a pack of deranged ReaperConners who have to register for anything immediately ... rooms and Con registration.  But they are not a huge group and there will probably be ample rooms and, of course, unlimited (up to the fire code) ReaperCon registration slots.  I'm guessing, repeat, guessing, that hotel rooms will be available for at least several days or weeks.

I'm involved with a national convention locally and we are using an Embassy Suites.  We've made arrangements to have additional rooms released, automatically, if demand warrants it.  We anticipate absolutely no issues.  But  we aren't doing ReaperCon.

Classes are a different matter entirely.

Edited by Highlander
32 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

oh i know to jump on classes when they show up, but we'll be waiting on the room until closer to ReaperCon. just have to hope they're not out, otherwise i'll be driving a half hour each day

If you have to drive, is there adequate parking nearby?  Just asking out of curiosity, really.  I'm wondering because I think the convention center will be sold out or nearly so that weekend.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Serenity said:

If you have to drive, is there adequate parking nearby?  Just asking out of curiosity, really.  I'm wondering because I think the convention center will be sold out or nearly so that weekend.

The Embassy Suites has a huge parking lot, so I can't imagine there would be any issue driving in and parking on site.  It was very busy for RC2019, and there was still plenty of parking.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Lots of parking. You might have a walk in the heat, but finding a spot shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Serenity said:

i don't know. last year we had a rental car while staying at the hotel and it was fine. this is our first year living in driving range 

• Like 1

There is a huge parking lot.  You may have to walk a bit, but plenty of space. 

I don't think the hotel sold out last year -- I may be wrong -- it was the special reapercon room rate block that sold out.  So rooms could be had at regular rates as late as a few weeks before the con.  Also, several other hotels within a very short drive, like within view of the con hotel. 

In past years blocks of con-rate rooms have gone up in waves.  Adrienne arranges a number of rooms, and when that sells out she negotiates for more, to try and get as many of us into the hotel as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1