Sign in to follow this  
nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

6 minutes ago, Dicey said:

They said on the ReaperCon facebook page 20ish minutes ago that they were working on getting more rooms opened up for booking. So, I think they're aware. 

@Sirithiliel - I'd just book it. It's so so easy to just drag yourself upstairs when you're "done" or to store things between classes. I loved having a room last year (even though our commute would have been 1.5 hours not 30 minutes). You can cancel if you don't go with no penalties up until the end of August, so I don't really see the downside to booking early. It feels weird to plan for something 8 months away, but if you're on the fence, I'd just do it (assuming more rooms are made available). Edited to add: We actually met in Bob and Julie's sculpting class last year too.

i'm happy to do so, but husband doesn't want to. He says why spend all that money when we live in town and can just drive up every day in just 30 min. 

i guess it doesn't make too much difference to me, it's not like i hang out with people at ReaperCon, the forum tables are usually full and i tend to just be too late to any gatherings

it's just nice to have a room to go rest in if i feel a bit overwhelmed or tired.

Edited by Sirithiliel

For me (and I understand it already is for you too, just not your husband), it would be worth $123 a day not to have to sit in the car for an hour or more and not have to leave early or carry everything around all day every day. I hope you can get him to come around.

• Like 1

Just now, Sirithiliel said:

i'm happy to do so, but husband doesn't want to. He says why spend all that money when we live in town and can just drive up every day

As someone who's done precisely that, I can give you some reasons for him. 

One; Early Classes. Two; Carting Supplies around. Three; one of you is Done before the other, somebody has to either wait, or be Done early  .. this may not be an issue if you have enough cars to take separate vehicles.

I don't know if either of you are gaming, and specifically running games, but GMing games means a fairly large stack of supplies to haul around. Painting ... well, we know about painting.

And if you're on Artist's Alley (are you? that would be cool!), you probably have display minis to haul around. Even if not, carting entries for the MSP Open about in a vehicle can be a stressful sort of experience (and I've seen some of those roads, and the Pits to the Ab- excuse me, pot holes). 

And of course, there is parking and navigating the 'lot.

... and all that is just from my experiences with, 'it's just 30 minutes! We can drive that!'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Rooms available.

My room's booked. Wednesday thru Monday. Hope Rika can go this year, especially with the Melon Clan coming. She loves them so  much. They're so cute!

That would be fun! The wife finds you guys just as adorable. We are currently going to be doing our best to have the little melon taken care of at home. But if we can't, then we would have to take him up with us (hopefully we won't have to as he will be 6 months and we don't want to expose him to too much). 

Edited by Mr Melons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

As someone who's done precisely that, I can give you some reasons for him. 

One; Early Classes. Two; Carting Supplies around. Three; one of you is Done before the other, somebody has to either wait, or be Done early  .. this may not be an issue if you have enough cars to take separate vehicles.

I don't know if either of you are gaming, and specifically running games, but GMing games means a fairly large stack of supplies to haul around. Painting ... well, we know about painting.

And if you're on Artist's Alley (are you? that would be cool!), you probably have display minis to haul around. Even if not, carting entries for the MSP Open about in a vehicle can be a stressful sort of experience (and I've seen some of those roads, and the Pits to the Ab- excuse me, pot holes). 

And of course, there is parking and navigating the 'lot.

... and all that is just from my experiences with, 'it's just 30 minutes! We can drive that!'. 

i sit in artist alley, yes, and my stuff just stays on the table during RCon. It's locked at night and nothing has ever gone missing yet. He doesn't do anything at Rcon, really, other than be there for me. I guess he can just go home now that we live in town once he gets bored, then come back to pick me up. 

Don't worry about the first block selling out.  I'm sure more will be added as soon as it can be arranged.  This is how it works every year. The hotel allots a limited number of rooms, as each block sells out, Reaper negotiates more. 

There are other hotels close by, so you don't have to drive 2 hours home, you can stay 10 mins away. 

10 minutes ago, Inarah said:

There are other hotels close by, so you don't have to drive 2 hours home, you can stay 10 mins away. 

Just not as convenient though. We will  just drive from home if we can't get into the main hotel . No point spending the money for a hotel if we still have to drive there every day

Fingers crossed for a new block sometime as you say

Edited by Sirithiliel

46 minutes ago, Mr Melons said:

That would be fun! The wife finds you guys just as adorable. We are currently going to be doing our best to have the little melon taken care of at home. But if we can't, then we would have to take him up with us (hopefully we won't have to as he will be 6 months and we don't want to expose him to too much). 

Aww, thanks!

I wouldn’t be surprised if a fleet of ReaperUncles and ReaperAunts wind up on voluntary standby.

• Like 1

The Fairfield also runs a shuttle back and forth btw during the show and rooms are/were $99 a night.

• Like 2

Well, I hope they get more rooms or I probably won't make it. Unless I split a room with someone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Chaoswolf said:

Well, I hope they get more rooms or I probably won't make it. Unless I split a room with someone.

I will find you the most primo dumpster and cardboard box and we'll take you to the car wash to get a shower.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I was able to get a room for myself and my husband. We've invited our good friends to go to ReaperCon this year. They have a 2-year-old and were excited about the idea of staying on-site because that makes nap time so easy. I had shared all the hotel details with them and they were expecting to be able to book today. They couldn't get a room an hour after the block opened. They're on the wait list after calling the hotel, but right now it's either pay regular rates and be outside the block or don't go. I hope that another block of rooms is added and that they can get in. I would really like my friends to be able to join us. But with a 2-year-old, they think even shuttling from the Fairfield seems like an ordeal. So, it's stay at the Embassy or not at all. 

Last year they got every room the hotel was allowed to book.  I think Hilton requires a 5 or 10% hold rate for walk in traffic.  I think they opened 3 separate blocks before the hotel stopped adding rooms.

• Like 1