nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

Hi Y'all!

We are sorry that all our blocks of rooms at the Embassy Suites sold out in one hour. This has never happened before....we usually have a couple of months before they all sell out.  We were just as surprised today, but happy so many of you are so excited for ReaperCon 2020!!

With that said, the popularity of our show has increased every year immensely. That just means we are going to have a fantastic show and I hope everyone can make it. If we are able to get a new room block contract going with Embassy Suites, then we will let everyone know. We are working on it.

As for now, we do have a overflow hotel at the Fairfield hotel that will have shuttles running. The link to book with that hotel has been posted on all social medias as well as ReaperCon 2020 hotel thread.

We will try our hardest to monitor any questions/concerns on the forums and social media regarding hotels, but as always you can email us at [email protected]

• Like 6

Fell asleep around 1130 this morning after working till 10 last night. Hopefully a new block opens soon. I'd rather pay more & stay were the Con is at vs a overflow hotel.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

Fell asleep around 1130 this morning after working till 10 last night. Hopefully a new block opens soon. I'd rather pay more & stay were the Con is at vs a overflow hotel.

I worked from home today but did the calendar math wrong (thought the block opened tomorrow).  I resisted temptation/distraction all day and didn't boot the personal laptop and things were sold by the time I got online and then I cussed.

I was able to book a room for the same dates with the AAA rate and spent some Hilton Points to offset the cost. Rooms CAN be found (or at least could as of 4:30 eastern), but at a much less favorable rate.  (Burning points to be onsite is worth it to me, other's situations may dictate otherwise).

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

I worked from home today but did the calendar math wrong (thought the block opened tomorrow).  I resisted temptation/distraction all day and didn't boot the personal laptop and things were sold by the time I got online and then I cussed.

I was able to book a room for the same dates with the AAA rate and spent some Hilton Points to offset the cost. Rooms CAN be found (or at least could as of 4:30 eastern), but at a much less favorable rate.  (Burning points to be onsite is worth it to me, other's situations may dictate otherwise).

Yah 230+ is waaaaay over what I want to pay so I'll wait for a new block.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, haldir said:

Hopefully a new block opens soon. I'd rather pay more & stay were the Con is at vs a overflow hotel.

AGREE!

• Like 2

Well, I’m another who missed out on a room.

Did Reaper book a smaller block of rooms this year or has ReaperCon just shot up so quickly in popularity that what took months to sell out last time now takes an hour?

I’m also wondering if someone who’s stayed in the hotel before could let me know what goodies/freebies are in the bag/package that ReaperCon hotel guests receive? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kalibak said:

Did Reaper book a smaller block of rooms this year or has ReaperCon just shot up so quickly in popularity that what took months to sell out last time now takes an hour?

I’m also wondering if someone who’s stayed in the hotel before could let me know what goodies/freebies are in the bag/package that ReaperCon hotel guests receive? 

From memory, the hotel swag was 1 mini and maybe 1 bottle of paint?  Maybe just 1 mini.

The swag that comes with the badge purchase is where most things are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zoxe said:

From memory, the hotel swag was 1 mini and maybe 1 bottle of paint?  Maybe just 1 mini.

The swag that comes with the badge purchase is where most things are.

I think there is a $25 gift certificate to be used at the Reaper store @ the Con as well. I know there is one, but I can't recall exactly how you get it. Definitely a mini.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ReaperAHawk said:

As for now, we do have a overflow hotel at the Fairfield hotel that will have shuttles running.

What hours will the shuttle be running?

20 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

...I can give you some reasons for him. 

One; Early Classes. Two; Carting Supplies around. Three; one of you is Done before the other, somebody has to either wait, or be Done early  .. this may not be an issue if you have enough cars to take separate vehicles. ...

I can provide one more.  When tired and wanting to get away from the mob, being able to walk into your room, flop down on the bed, relax, and listen to the blissful silence.  Even if only for 10 minutes.

That, at least, is the theory.  In my case, DW, who has decided she is going to come along, but has no interest in minis, sets up a quilting factory in the room -- ironing board, sewing machine, cutting stuff, fabric everywhere.  So, when I happily enter the room for a few moments of recovery, I get an update on how her project is coming along.  But I do get to flop down on the remaining bed.  Sometimes.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, TripleH said:

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet:

82651317_10221698423874981_4959607845763940352_n.jpg.2161a889e836610a2b574fd7839a01da.jpg

::o:

I'm gonna need a bigger hat! 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

On 1/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, Dicey said:

They said on the ReaperCon facebook page 20ish minutes ago that they were working on getting more rooms opened up for booking. So, I think they're aware. 

@Sirithiliel - I'd just book it. It's so so easy to just drag yourself upstairs when you're "done" or to store things between classes. I loved having a room last year (even though our commute would have been 1.5 hours not 30 minutes). You can cancel if you don't go with no penalties up until the end of August, so I don't really see the downside to booking early. It feels weird to plan for something 8 months away, but if you're on the fence, I'd just do it (assuming more rooms are made available). Edited to add: We actually met in Bob and Julie's sculpting class last year too.

There is one danger to this strategy: If the hotel is completely booked for that weekend they won't have any spare inventory to add to the discounted housing block.

(I did reserve outside the block, but I had to think hard before doing it.)

If/when Reaper finds more rooms in other hotels, things might start to balance out a bit as people transfer to more affordable spaces.

• Like 4

On 1/11/2020 at 6:31 AM, Kalibak said:

Last year the announcement was a bit lower key, but the primary hotel had sold out in some previous years. Then last year's membership went up by about 40%. Again.

I know that I was a bit concerned about an early sell out this year, so we made sure to hit the website right away. But I didn't expect the (first?) block to sell out in an hour.

• Like 3

so i want to teach a new class this year, but not sure what i should teach. Those of you that know me and what i do, what do you think would be a good class?

I already do a 'out of the box' dragon painting class, teach people to try unusual and non-traditional dragon color schemes