Jump to content
nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

so i want to teach a new class this year, but not sure what i should teach. Those of you that know me and what i do, what do you think would be a good class?

I already do a 'out of the box' dragon painting class, teach people to try unusual and non-traditional dragon color schemes

 

Perhaps:

  • Dinosaurs Have Feathers - How to make your historical models more accurate.
  • Under the Sea - How to paint aquatic creatures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Perhaps:

  • Dinosaurs Have Feathers - How to make your historical models more accurate.
  • Under the Sea - How to paint aquatic creatures

 

hmm the dinosaur one could be interesting, especially since there are personable bones raptors that come in a 6 pack available at retail now that i could use

 

do you think there'd be enough demand for such a class?

 

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

While ReaperCon is growing, which is good, I think it is slowly becoming another mega-con where you are just another nameless person amongst a sea of people. Which is the sad part of "growing up", because it is losing the part that made it distinctly identafiable - lots of fun and art without being completely oversaturated.

 

 

@Al Capwn said the above. Moving a quote is hard on mobile. That was in the Hotels thread if you want to see all of it. 
 

Anyway, good point! To keep from being nameless, we are going to have to scale up the friendliness as well, so that nobody gets to the point where they are a nameless face at ReaperCon. This can have many facets.

 

So. @Ludo’s job is going to get harder, and we all can help. Ludo, we are going to need more tables for hijinks. Maybe even more hijinks running at the same time in different areas. Forumites, this means he will need more of us! Sophie Says, Speed painting, and Paint by Die Roll will all need people to run these events. Be the friendly face!

 

But let’s not load up one person's shoulders! MORE THINGS! The basing table!? My bingo?! Good starts! But there need to be other ideas. Toss ‘em out! I’ll start!

 

Maybe some roving designated helpers? People in tees there to help answer things, going from table to table. Like that guy (sorry, don’t remember his name) who had his entries wrecked in overhead baggage, who some managed to help with gathering materials that could help.

 

Random invites to sit at tables?
 

More meet’n’greets (pizza less perhaps), maybe with a focus on forum recruiting? 
 

Maybe get another projector up rotating between all the social medias; forum posts, Twitter mentions, Instagrams, Facebook posts?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What @Pegazus said above.

 

Plus, if you can teach a class, please volunteer when the open call comes up.

 

Last year, we were really seeing the lack of class slots, with many attendees unable to get a class at all. With a likely 50%+ increase in membership numbers, we really need more teachers (and more classes, of course).

 

I'll also add that I think we need a better way to allocate classes to attendees. My preference would be to limit each attendee to purchasing no more than 1 class per day when the class registration period opens. This would allow each person a decent chance to get the one class they want most (or at least one of the classes they want most) before everything disappears. You could still give VIP members a day or two jump on regular attendees, but the result probably wouldn't be 70% of the slots filled before a regular attendee even gets to try to register, which seems a fair compromise to me.

 

I might also consider limiting the total number of classes per badge to 6 (or maybe even 4), at least until the last month or so before the con.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

so i want to teach a new class this year, but not sure what i should teach. Those of you that know me and what i do, what do you think would be a good class?

I already do a 'out of the box' dragon painting class, teach people to try unusual and non-traditional dragon color schemes

 

Ok, so it's not a new class but I'd like to see the dragon class offered twice during the weekend. I wasn't able to fit it in last time.  You can fill two slots on different days and only need to prep handouts once. 

 

I think a dinosaur class would be cool, too.  Scientists are discovering all kinds of interesting skin patterns for them and it would be nice to know how to do that instead of just painting them brown or green. 

 

Class registration has been a problem for years and it's not going to change until Reaper wants it to. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Inarah said:

 

Ok, so it's not a new class but I'd like to see the dragon class offered twice during the weekend. I wasn't able to fit it in last time.  You can fill two slots on different days and only need to prep handouts once. 

 

I think a dinosaur class would be cool, too.  Scientists are discovering all kinds of interesting skin patterns for them and it would be nice to know how to do that instead of just painting them brown or green. 

 

Class registration has been a problem for years and it's not going to change until Reaper wants it to. 

 

 

 

so maybe a realistic dinosaur class covering the addition of feathers with green stuff and how to do that, small edits to the model like rotating hands to be accurately held, and color patterns?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pegazus Yeah, that post could be moved here as well, there is just an overlap with the hotel demand situation and overall growth, that the subjects are a bit intertwined.

 

Personally I feel ReaperCon is unique in that it is this collision of RPG/gaming and "pure" art. Some are painting minis for their D&D group, some are pushing themselves to improve as a painter/sculptor, and some are somewhere in both camps.

 

Perhaps having some "unofficial" classes/sessions offered by intermediate painters to help novices would be useful as well. I feel lots of intermediate painters are capable of introducing the concepts of: a wet palette, paint consistency, the importance of multiple thin coats over a single thick one, removing mold lines and fixing gaps/defects.

 

There are also a LOT of talented painters outside of artist row that could pass along their knowledge and "pay it forward". Having a massive, "How Do I" painting group/tables that anyone can bounce questions off of would be amazing. How do I fix this blend? How come this looks horrible? How do I fix his eyes? How do I keep this from looking garish? How do I not superglue my fingers together when basing? How do I keep from getting streaky base coats? How do I keep from getting tide spots? How do I not get these visible layer lines? Etc. Etc. Etc.

 

The problem is I, as well as many others, have imposter syndrome. I don't feel I really feel capable of teaching anything "advanced". If we came together though, I feel we can not only lessen the burden on just asking "the experts" for feedback, but also help each other build our knowledge pools at each level of our painting journey.

 

Counterpoint: To be truthful though, how many people attending are new to these concepts? Is zenithal priming something that is mind blowing to your average aspiring painter? How many really care? Perhaps more seasoned con-goers can provide some anecdotes.

 

I am all for the "be the change you want" type of a deal. I recall @Wren mentioning when helping in the hijinks arena, most people just knew her as "the person who brings the paints" because there was no other context.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

The problem is I, as well as many others, have imposter syndrome. I don't feel I really feel capable of teaching anything "advanced". If we came together though, I feel we can not only lessen the burden on just asking "the experts" for feedback, but also help each other build our knowledge pools at each level of our painting journey.

 

Not all teachers need to, or even should, teach advanced topics. There is certainly an audience for OSL on a figure with NMM and NNN bits (:B):), but most of the people who might want to take that could probably figure it out for themselves. And the number of painters who really aren't ready for that but want to take classes is much higher, especially right after one KS project has fulfilled and another has been run.

 

5 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Counterpoint: To be truthful though, how many people attending are new to these concepts? Is zenithal priming something that is mind blowing to your average aspiring painter? How many really care? Perhaps more seasoned con-goers can provide some anecdotes.

 

Many. I talked to lots of very new painters last year, who at best could put down a base coat where they wanted it and might have heard the term "drybrushing". We hang out with painting geeks; most people who buy Reaper figures (and GW figures, and whatever) are very casual. But many of them would like to be better.*

 

* Though they tend to want to know "the secret" of painting that well without slowing down. :rolleyes:

 

5 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

I am all for the "be the change you want" type of a deal. I recall @Wren mentioning when helping in the hijinks arena, most people just knew her as "the person who brings the paints" because there was no other context.

 

Yeah, the names of the brilliant painters out there, people whose skill I really aspire to be able to approach, are completely unknown to the average retail customer (and with the increase in convention size, the average attendee as well).

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, we always want people to come up to us at our stations and ask questions. I'm happy to do mini-sessions to help out anyone and I'll critique minis anytime. I get up early, so I can usually answer questions before thing officially start up as well. Just let me finish eating breakfast and I'm good to go! 

 

I'm going to try to add a few classes this year.  Is there interest again in black/white or red/yellow? Those classes are fun to teach. I think I may just do skin three times this year again, but I hate to drop color theory since I think it is the most important thing aside from fancy basework.

 

That reminds me- I was going to see if Proctor would do a joint "The base is the most important part" class with me because, um, it is!

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Corporea said:

 

I'm going to try to add a few classes this year.  Is there interest again in black/white or red/yellow? Those classes are fun to teach. 

I would definitely be interested in these, especially black/white

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Corporea said:

Also, we always want people to come up to us at our stations and ask questions. I'm happy to do mini-sessions to help out anyone and I'll critique minis anytime. I get up early, so I can usually answer questions before thing officially start up as well. Just let me finish eating breakfast and I'm good to go! 

 

I'm going to try to add a few classes this year.  Is there interest again in black/white or red/yellow? Those classes are fun to teach. I think I may just do skin three times this year again, but I hate to drop color theory since I think it is the most important thing aside from fancy basework.

 

That reminds me- I was going to see if Proctor would do a joint "The base is the most important part" class with me because, um, it is!

 

To be fair, you are also one of the nicest and most approachable instructors! I suppose I am just projecting as the size of the convention grows, so does demand. I didn't want to insinuate that anyone is unapproachable, merely that I would like to see everyone get that opportunity.

 

Aa it stands, instructors are tied with classes, and that isn't including the ones judging too! I also want to respect that everyone is there to enjoy themselves, and isn't there solely for my benefit. The number of entries into the MSP is exponentially growing, and getting pointed feedback is going to become an ever increasing commodity.

 

As far as class subjects goes, I feel all of those are great. I think your skin tone class is almost universally useful on blending, and I still reference the class notes and mini to this day.

 

Color theory is super important, but so is understanding difficult colors (yellow, red and white). Perhaps tying those two subjects together a bit to unpack opacity, hues and values?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corporea said:

... but I hate to drop color theory since I think it is the most important thing aside from fancy basework.

Could you train someone (or provide enough hints/feedback/advice) to present such a class in your stead?  It seems to me that color theory would be a good course for someone who wanted to teach but maybe doesn't feel confident about presenting techniques.  (Although, since I haven't taken your color theory class and my own knowledge of color theory is limited to what I've picked up in various places, I could be completely wrong!)

 

(Is there any interest in creating a sort of instructor academy or apprenticeship?  A way to help new instructors get their feet wet by teaching "basics" and preparing them enough hopefully make a good impression, thus hopefully increasing the pool of instructors and classes.  Although suddenly I'm reminded of college Teaching Assistants...)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corporea said:

I'm going to try to add a few classes this year.  Is there interest again in black/white or red/yellow? Those classes are fun to teach. I think I may just do skin three times this year again, but I hate to drop color theory since I think it is the most important thing aside from fancy basework.

 

That reminds me- I was going to see if Proctor would do a joint "The base is the most important part" class with me because, um, it is!

 

I would love a basing class from you & proctor,  its a real weakness of mine and I really love your basework. 

i have taken your skin class before, and it was pretty great too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Could you train someone (or provide enough hints/feedback/advice) to present such a class in your stead?  It seems to me that color theory would be a good course for someone who wanted to teach but maybe doesn't feel confident about presenting techniques.  (Although, since I haven't taken your color theory class and my own knowledge of color theory is limited to what I've picked up in various places, I could be completely wrong!)

 

(Is there any interest in creating a sort of instructor academy or apprenticeship?  A way to help new instructors get their feet wet by teaching "basics" and preparing them enough hopefully make a good impression, thus hopefully increasing the pool of instructors and classes.  Although suddenly I'm reminded of college Teaching Assistants...)

 

I don't know about an academy or apprenticeship, but a class in how to teach a painting class might actually be really useful:

  • How much can you cover in a 1:45 class
  • How does that vary with the type of material you're covering
  • How much time should be dedicated to students actually working and how much to lecture
  • How do you manage pacing
  • How much lecturing can you do while people are basecoating (or whatever) without the information disappearing
  • What should be in a handout for the class
  • How do you pick a good mini to show the techniques
  • How do you handle the guy who wants to show how much he already knows
  • ...

I think there's enough there to make a class.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...