Sign in to follow this  
nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Sounds like it's time for new badge ribbons; 'Reapercon Veteran! Ask us about Stuff!' or something .. 

I'd take one. 

thats a great idea.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Sounds like it's time for new badge ribbons; 'Reapercon Veteran! Ask us about Stuff!' or something .. 

I'd take one. 

I think mine would say ReaperCon Grandpa.......::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, haldir said:

I think mine would say ReaperCon Grandpa.......::D:

That would be Ed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Joshinminn said:

Yeesh I won't be entering any contests, but I will be trying to attend as many classes as I can!

I suggest you enter the painting contest.  Bring your best painted figure and enter it.  This is an opportunity to have expert-level painters judge your work and, most importantly, give you feedback.  You can talk to the people who judged your figure after the awards ceremony and find out what they liked about it and what they think could use improvement.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, aturriff said:

This assumes the judges can be found. From hearing the Girlblin grumble, that appears to be the limiting factor.

I think it depends on your timing and the judges involved. Last year I wasn't able to get to my judges after the ceremony, but the next day I was able to catch 2/3 in artist alley and get great critiques. And it was less noisy than if I had gotten to them after the ceremony

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aturriff said:

This assumes the judges can be found. From hearing the Girlblin grumble, that appears to be the limiting factor.

Found one last year. My basing could use a little work... which, no surprise, I rarely bother. ^^;

Year before though... nada. Not one of the three could I find.

29 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:
44 minutes ago, Joshinminn said:

Yeesh I won't be entering any contests, but I will be trying to attend as many classes as I can!

I suggest you enter the painting contest.  Bring your best painted figure and enter it.  This is an opportunity to have expert-level painters judge your work and, most importantly, give you feedback.  You can talk  to the people who judged your figure after the awards ceremony and find out what they liked about it and what they think could use improvement.

Suspect that, even if you can't find one of your triad of judges, you can probably find somebody who'll help; everybody on Artist's Row is super friendly. They love to talk to people. Swipe a chair and ask questions! 

Definitely enter something though; they don't judge an entry vs. all the other entries, they judge on the piece's merits. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Fire_Eyes said:

I think it depends on your timing and the judges involved. Last year I wasn't able to get to my judges after the ceremony, but the next day I was able to catch 2/3 in artist alley and get great critiques. And it was less noisy than if I had gotten to them after the ceremony

sadly, all previous years i've been to the con, we flew out on sunday. so i normally don't get feedback on my entries

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

sadly, all previous years i've been to the con, we flew out on sunday. so i normally don't get feedback on my entries

I'm usually around until noon, and even then I rarely get a chance for feedback.  I've had judges that could not be found, or were teaching a morning class, or who had a crowd of people 3 deep in front of their station wanting the same thing.  There were 800+ entries last year? Or the year before? And how many judges?  They must look at 50-100 figures each.  I've had judges tell me they can't remember what they judged. 

This year I'm thinking of trying something different. Bringing last year's entry and talking to various judges on Wed or Thurs when it isn't so crazy with people and everyone isn't brain dead with fatigue.  Just to get suggestions, mind, as I'm sure no one remembers what they judged last year. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Please find us sunday morning if you can't find us saturday night. Even if we didn't judge your piece, we'll ask you what medal you got and then give you pointers to get to the next level. I don't teach on sunday if I can manage it because I like to have that day free to sit at my desk and answer questions. Please know you are welcome to come find me and ask questions. Every year I look at entries for folks that I didn't judge and I don't mind doing it at all! The only thing I'll say is I don't judge ordnance, and am not sure I can offer any feedback since my weathering ability is... well, a work in progress.  

• Like 10

9 hours ago, aturriff said:

I've never had a problem finding the judges, and they've always been super cool about giving feedback. Even if you just find them on artist's row. 

Now, I'm not a shy introvert, so I don't have a problem sidling up to strangers in crowded rooms to talk about small people. That may be the limiting factor.

• Like 4

It may have been mentioned by someone else already, but in thinking about my classes I plan to submit.  Im going to shoot for different days and time slots this year.  It occurred to me for example, whatever dragon class I teach is generally on Friday morning...  what if there's someone who only comes on Saturday that has wanted to take that class with me and its always on the wrong day...  Water basing has to be earlier in the con for cure times.  but I may do that on Friday .. etc.  just switching it up a bit this year to maximize people's opportunities.

• Like 6

Worked a little bit on my main RC2020 entry. I'm still at the gap filling phase, but progress is progress!

• Like 4