nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

12 hours ago, Zoxe said:

Worked a little bit on my main RC2020 entry. I'm still at the gap filling phase, but progress is progress!

I bought a thing and then a detail set for the thing.  But then it turned out to be the wrong thing for the detail set, so I had to order another similar thing that was the right thing.  Note that it's the wrong thing for the detail set, and not the wrong detail set for the thing, because while there are two things there is only only detail set.  Eventually Thing #2 will come to replace Thing #1 and I can set to work.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I bought a thing and then a detail set for the thing.  But then it turned out to be the wrong thing for the detail set, so I had to order another similar thing that was the right thing.  Note that it's the wrong thing for the detail set, and not the wrong detail set for the thing, because while there are two things there is only only detail set.  Eventually Thing #2 will come to replace Thing #1 and I can set to work.    

Thing3Thing4.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

We are talking about different things, but this would describe the journey that a few of my projects are on. :)

I haven't been at the bench for any significant time since Christmas Day.  I could say it was because I got sick (twice!) or that I was waiting on parts/bases (I was!) but the real reason is that as most of us do, I went through a hobby funk.*  Not sure I'm entirely cured, but my office is closed today in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr.  I was just frying a couple of eggs planning my morning.  Most of what I'd work on today isn't for RC2020, but my one big project certainly is.  

*Note:  Hobby funk was, I think, due in part to this:  the 'big' project is a resin cast, but the master was 3D printed and the mold had some issues (mold lines, 3dprint lines, and some glorious mold tearing and blowouts).  I had high hopes of this being my first Gold, but as I'm working the issues I know that some of them are beyond my ability to fix and I'll (rightfully) get knocked back.  I set it aside mid-December to work on other stuff, but with a sigh I know that "this ain't the one."  I'm going to see what I can do, and spent a little time last night looking for a mini that would serve me better in another category.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Thanks for posting; that clears things right up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

See, now you need to buy the detail set for the wrong thing, because then the cardinality of the set of things and set of detail sets will be equal and the universe will be back in balance.

It's important.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Zoxe said:

We are talking about different things

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Thanks for posting; that clears things right up!

Thingposting is the rad new trend!

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

See, now you need to buy the detail set for the wrong thing, because then the cardinality of the set of things and set of detail sets will be equal and the universe will be back in balance.

It's important.

There is no detail set for the wrong thing, only a detail set for the right thing.  So, for the first time ever in my life, I will do the right thing.  I think in any case this should qualify as essentially dividing by zero, so the universe is probably a goner already.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

There is no detail set for the wrong thing, only a detail set for the right thing.  So, for the first time ever in my life, I will do the right thing.  I think in any case this should qualify as essentially dividing by zero, so the universe is probably a goner already.  

would you not ddestroy the universe? I like it.  its where I keep all my stuff. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Nothing to fear. I have several extra detail sets for the wrong thing, so the duplicate errors should balance things out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Heisler said:

Nothing to fear. I have several extra detail sets for the wrong thing, so the duplicate errors should balance things out.

That's the power of teamwork!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/16/2020 at 6:20 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

I don't know about an academy or apprenticeship, but a class in how to teach a painting class might actually be really useful:

• How much can you cover in a 1:45 class
  • How does that vary with the type of material you're covering
  • How much time should be dedicated to students actually working and how much to lecture
  • How do you manage pacing
  • How much lecturing can you do while people are basecoating (or whatever) without the information disappearing
  • What should be in a handout for the class
  • How do you pick a good mini to show the techniques
  • How do you handle the guy who wants to show how much he already knows

I think there's enough there to make a class.

Classes on teaching came up last year too.

If there is real demand for this, I would be willing to go back to wheedling and cajoling Lady Klarg into coming along to RCon 2020 to teach a class on teaching.

She is not a painter, but she trains teachers for a living.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

So, you're saying it's the latest thing?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, a question for you Veterans of past Reapercons: What was the difference in the standard Swag Bags and the VIP ones? Also, what other perks were there? Thanks!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Okay, a question for you Veterans of past Reapercons: What was the difference in the standard Swag Bags and the VIP ones? Also, what other perks were there? Thanks!

Normal swag bags usually contain one set of three paints and one faction mini, while the VIP tends to have two paint sets and all the faction minis, though last year there were some faction minis that were extra and not Included

Last year VIPalso had a actual paint set too, of the new Pathfinder paints. Vip also gets resin Hall of Fame miniature

What else am I forgetting....

Both have a little notebook and pen, plastic water painting cup, sometimes a paint pallette 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Last year, VIPs could sign up for classes a day in advance of hoi polloi. And there was a separate VIP line for paint contest entries.

In addition to what @Sirithiliel mentioned, both swag bags had a Reapercon Sophie, and some amount of other vendor merch. (I think the VIP bags got more non-Reaper merch.)

• Thanks 1

Both bags are well worth the costs for them. You get your money back on them twice over, at least!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1