nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

[Sigh] I don't know if I can make it this year or not since I'm currently between jobs. ::(:

Financially, I can make it. But if I find a new job by that time, but can't get the vacation time for it, it'll be a solid miss for me.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Sad 7

23 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

[Sigh] I don't know if I can make it this year or not since I'm currently between jobs. ::(:

Financially, I can make it. But if I find a new job by that time, but can't get the vacation time for it, it'll be a solid miss for me.

Just do the thing where you tell them that you've already booked the vacation, and will be taking the time off, whether or not you get paid for it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 5:23 PM, Cygnwulf said:

I need to come up with a good ribbon.  People still use Ribbon Galore?

I do, and I've always been extremely pleased with both their quality and their customer service! 

I'm debating whether to do both ribbons (SHINY!!! and STOMP of Approval) this year or just one, since last year told me I really needed to have ordered more. Problem is, a few hundred ribbons in two styles is more expensive than the same number in a single style. But I like giving out ribbons.... I can probably do both if I restrict SHINY to only those who take one of my classes or who visit me at my artist booth. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 5

How many ribbons is enough ribbons? I really want to have at least one ribbon to hand out this year (I have ideas for several...), but I don't want to over/under order. I also don't want to end up spending more on ribbons than I do on the Con. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I go in with a minimum of about a hundred. If it's a 'general ribbon', you might want to get more. 

If it's a ribbon that people have to do something specific to get, you might be able to get away with fewer.

Ribbons Galore has quantity discounts, for whatever that's worth.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

How many ribbons is enough ribbons? I really want to have at least one ribbon to hand out this year (I have ideas for several...), but I don't want to over/under order. I also don't want to end up spending more on ribbons than I do on the Con. Any suggestions?

I ran out of both of my ribbons last year.  Kraken: Released had the easies requirements and was gone by Saturday.  Trip Hazzard lasted almost all convention, and I gave out the last one while the auction was running.  I had 100 of each.  The best part is when little kids come up asking you if you have such and such ribbon.  Especially the shy ones whose need for ribbons is outweighing their shyness.  It's a good opportunity for them to self advocate and most of the parents were using this opportunity for that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hotel room reserved.

Wife and Son's tickets bought.

Now I need to paint something and figure out what classes I'll be teaching this year.  Anything in particular you all would want to learn from me?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I ran out of both of my ribbons last year.  Kraken: Released had the easies requirements and was gone by Saturday.  Trip Hazzard lasted almost all convention, and I gave out the last one while the auction was running.  I had 100 of each.  The best part is when little kids come up asking you if you have such and such ribbon.  Especially the shy ones whose need for ribbons is outweighing their shyness.  It's a good opportunity for them to self advocate and most of the parents were using this opportunity for that.

This is what Disney pins were like for us at the park! It’s a great tool for kids

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I gave out around 40 (I got 100 of each) of both of mine. So I have enough of each to not order more this year. I had the same experience with the kids, it was awesome having them ask for ribbons and being so exicited to get them. Introvert was perfect to help get newbies talking. And Inked, well we have a lot of tattoos in our bunch and those that didn't have them made some great spontaneous skin art!

Looking forward to this year, I better go paint!

• Like 2

I am going with my tried and true Reapercon giveaway: chocolate. lots and lots of chocolate.

I keep thinking about ribbons but then real life interferes and I run out of time.  So, chocolate it is!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I usually get 150 and have 10-20 left over, but then I hand out mine like candy because my requirement is quite low since I love giving people things lol. 

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Anything in particular you all would want to learn from me?

How to be as awesome as you are, but I doubt that would fit into a single class. :lol:

Your sculpting classes always seem very popular, especially the more intro-level ones. I'm anticipating even more beginner attendees this year, so I'm planning my classes around that, if that helps. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Now I need to paint something and figure out what classes I'll be teaching this year.  Anything in particular you all would want to learn from me?

I’d love an intro to basic sculpting.  Scenery for bases would be nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hotel room reserved.

Wife and Son's tickets bought.

When you work(ed?) with putty, you have a particularly structured, and naturalistic approach to converting from reference materials, and sculpting anatomy from inside to out. I think a class on "sculpting from nature" (or whatever) which discusses how you go from real-world reference to base anatomy would be really interesting.

Given the restrictions of class time, maybe you could handle reference and armature as lecture, and cast some base armatures at home, so students could some hands-on bulking out of basic anatomy in class?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1