Sign in to follow this  
nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

When your classes are involved, I expect dragons, I expect shiny and I expect purple (paired with teal).

That works for three of the classes. The fourth one baffles me. Tiny hats?

Repeat of class #1. :lol:

There will be shiny, there will be purple, there will probably be teal, and there will be at least one dragon*. 

They'll be Fun with Shiny Paint! x2, Fun with Shiny Paint - For Beginners!, and Fun with Colorful Shiny Paints!

I'm both the most excited and the most nervous about the last one, since it's brand new this year. Since I was planning on it involving a fair bit of lecture/demo anyways, though, it should translate well. The beginner class is actually the one that's giving me a bit of trouble to sort out, since I'm used to being able to actually see what new folks are confused about or struggling with and give personalized feedback. 

*For demonstration purposes only EDIT Wait I lied, the Colorful one will be using one of the Rocky models as a class mini. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, OneBoot said:

There will be shiny, there will be purple, there will probably be teal, and there will be at least one dragon*. 

All at the same time?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

All at the same time?

Well, you'll just have to come see for yourself! ::D:

Huzzah! 

• Like 1

Hoo boy, I had my first ReaperCon anxiety dream last. The con was somehow both online and in-person, and after arriving at a very nice hotel and getting settled, I attended my first class.

It was set up in an auditorium-type room, with the lights mostly off so the presentation could be seen. I don't recall the topic, but it was interesting and I learned a lot. Then, I was like "I have time before the class I'm teaching starts, so I'll wander around, say hi to people, buy stuff, etc."

Next thing I know, I'm scrambling to gather my materials, panicking that I'd forgotten my webcams at home, left my paints and my biggest demo mini behind in the room in my hurry, and then took so long to find the classroom that I was 15 mins late to my own class rather than 30 mins early like I was supposed to be. So I was trying to set up my equipment, mumbling excuses while everyone stared at me, when my real mind somehow stepped in and said "No! No way am I going to let this happen!" and changed things around. 

I'm not sure whether time rewound, or it just turned out that my class was actually later in the day, but I was able to calmly find everything I needed (my webcams were in my other suitcase), get all my paints and Ma'al drakar together, find the right room, and have everything all set up and ready to go on time. The class went well and everyone seemed to enjoy it, and then I woke up. 

Huzzah! 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8

Finally redeemed my Roll20 3 months free of Pro code today. Browsin the vtt tokens & I came across this one:

max.png?1562586464

While this is not in the adventure, I'm tempted to put it in there just to use it. :lol:

• Haha 6

On 8/5/2020 at 1:48 PM, OneBoot said:

...I haven't heard back yet about my class kits. ...

I've been perusing the class descriptions.  Some imply that class kits will be used ... but it is unclear.  How will we know that a class has a class kit available?  And how will that kit be made available through the Reaper store?

Edited by Highlander
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Highlander said:

I've been perusing the class descriptions.  Some imply that class kits will be used ... but it is unclear.  How will we know that a class has a class kit available?  And how will that kit be made available through the Reaper store?

There's supposed to be a button next to the class description, that leads to the store. I am not sure the links/kits are up yet. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

There's supposed to be a button next to the class description, that leads to the store. I am not sure the links/kits are up yet. 

Hopefully we get enough lead time to order what is needed

• Thanks 2

i can't find any info on classes at all, where are you looking? I thought i was on the official reaper con website, but it just says "Stay tuned for our 2020 Class Schedule"

2 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i can't find any info on classes at all, where are you looking? I thought i was on the official reaper con website, but it just says "Stay tuned for our 2020 Class Schedule"

Are you looking at the Reapercon site or the ReaperConLive site?

https://reaperconlive.com/classes

Edited by Inarah
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been able to find a single source for information on how to enroll and prepare for ReaperCon and/or classes.  But I have seen bits and pieces.  So. let me lay out what I think is happening and those with knowledge  -- please correct me.

1.  There is no registration for ReaperCon.  One just enters the website and can participate in classes/games without registration.  So anybody who can get on the Reaper website can participate.

2.  The classes are up.  Zoom will allow up to 1K people to attend each class.  To attend a class, one will simply click on the Zoom link at the time of the class and one will automatically be "sitting" in the class; there is no preregistration/entry code/gatekeeper/nada.

3.  The Zoom connection will allow the instructor to speak to the students; the students will not be able to speak to the instructor.

4.  Some instructors will recommend class kits.  At some time in the future, there will be a link on the class page.  The link will lead to the Reaper store where one can buy a class kit.  The kits will be mailed in time to receive them before the class.

I've used Zoom before for various meetings.  It is not as foolproof as it is advertised -- sometimes it requires the meeting organizer to check in each attendee, sometimes it doesn't.  Of note, Zoom can be a mess if several people are trying to talk at the same time -- if dozens of folks are checked in to the class, allowing only the instructor to speak is probably a good idea.

UPDATE:

There has been a major update in the class area ... registration links are up.  I'll have to investigate further

ANOTHER UPDATE:

After examining the class page and investigating the class registration links, let me revise my questions above:

1.  There is no registration for ReaperCon.  One just enters the website and one is attending ReaperCon.  So anybody who can get on the Reaper website can participate.

2.  However, one must register to attend classes/games.  The classes are up.  Zoom will allow up to 1K people to attend each class.  To attend a class, one must preregister using the registration link for each class. 

3.  The Zoom connection will allow the instructor to speak to the students; the students will not be able to speak to the instructor.  However, at least one instructor indicates that they expect to be able to have verbal give and take with students.  So, can we talk to the instructors or not?

4.  Some instructors will recommend class kits.  At some time in the future, there will be a link on the class page.  The link will lead to the Reaper store where one can buy a class kit.  The kits will be mailed in time to receive them before the class.

5.  Some instructors are apparently recommending specific minis and materials, but are not providing a class kit.  Are we to get the items on our own?

I've used Zoom before for various meetings.  It is not as foolproof as it is advertised -- sometimes it requires the meeting organizer to check in each attendee, sometimes it doesn't.  Of note, Zoom can be a mess if several people are trying to talk at the same time -- if dozens of folks are checked in to the class, allowing only the instructor to speak is probably a good idea.  And, sometimes, Zoom will permit some attendees to speak, but not others, which can be quite frustrating.

Sorry about the first part of this post, but things are apparently updating rapidly.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Highlander said:

The kits will be mailed in time to receive them before the class.

For those in the US, sure.  For those in other countries, mail service still takes a rather long time, which is why many of us were pointing out that it was getting a touch close for comfort on some of those things (mail to Canada still takes a month or more, for example). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

For those in the US, sure.  For those in other countries, mail service still takes a rather long time, which is why many of us were pointing out that it was getting a touch close for comfort on some of those things (mail to Canada still takes a month or more, for example). 

I'm afraid that I agree. With only 25 days until the first day of classes, getting class kits on time could be an issue.  My older son attended university in BC (it was cheaper to send him out of country than out of state), and mail to him sometimes took over a month.  Tracking indicated that, once it got to Canada, it could sit with the posties for 10-14 days.  And that was before the pandemic.  For those in Europe, I'd have more concern.  I've received items from the UK, Czech Republic, and Poland -- with delivery ranging from 9-24 days after entering the various postal services.

HST, there have been major updates in the last 24 hours.  So there may be a resolution.  Without insight, we have no idea which instructors have asked for class kits and which haven't.  As I've posted elsewhere, it seems that some instructors are recommending items, but perhaps not creating class kits ... which could lead to confusion.

BTW, older son was sent to Canada as a barbarian and you guys civilized him.  Except for hockey ... now he loves hockey.  He really loves hockey.  Thanks.

• Like 4