Sign in to follow this  
nytflyr

Reapercon 2020: early excitement and chatter

4 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I can't wait! I signed up for both the beginner and intermediate classes. I love shiny, now to just make it...more effective.

Oh yay! :bday: Just a fair warning, there will be a fair amount of repeat material between the two; it will be more that I'll spend more time on the more basic stuff (like drybrushing) in the beginner class and move more slowly. You are 100% welcome to take both, though! ^_^

35 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

hmm i don't think i'll spring for any classes this year, but excited for my mega-bundle whenever they start shipping those

Classes are free to take! You don't need a camera or a mic to participate, just a computing device with a screen and a way to type in the chat if you want to ask questions. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FYI, for those that have signed up for any of my classes, the descriptions/materials lists have changed slightly. Essentially, three of the paints in the "Fun with Shiny Paint!" and "Fun with Shiny Paint - for Beginners!" classes have now been marked as optional, and in my "Fun with Colorful Shiny Paints!" class, I've listed the two Clear triads rather than having each Clear paint listed separately.

Also, in each class I've noted that having an acrylic metallic medium (like Vallejo's Metal Medium) is recommended; however, I've included Reaper's Filigree Silver as a sort-of substitute in the materials list for those that may not be able to acquire such.

Huzzah!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whoo!  My swag boxes have postage and a tracking number! 

I signed up for one of @OneBoot's classes, not sure which ATM.   Both of @TaleSpinner's sculpting classes, but I may have to miss one. Not sure yet, plans are evolving. One of @Corporea's classes. Want to do both but plans got made before the schedule came out.  

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Also, in each class I've noted that having an acrylic metallic medium (like Vallejo's Metal Medium) is recommended; however, I've included Reaper's Filigree Silver as a sort-of substitute in the materials list for those that may not be able to acquire such.

Would something like Sophie silver work?  Trying to avoid having to place an order for a single bottle of paint. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Whoo!  My swag boxes have postage and a tracking number! 

Nothing here yet, but I did get a notification/tracker for the female ettin mini from the Orcs with Pig noses KS!!

I'm not sure if I'll look into classes. Again, I'm not sure what my FLGS is gonna do that weekend. Currently no live events, so who knows. I work Thurs-Friday morning but I have Friday night off. I'll run a game from 10 to 5 (even thou my slots says 10 to 4, I must have miscalculated the extra hour I wanted to put in there) on Saturday. Work that night & then work Sunday & Monday nights. I should be alert enough sometime during the weekend to jump into the classes.

• Like 4

Ok, browsin the sticker offerings on teepublic & I love the black & white artwork, I'm not sure about the colors one just yet but I did come across this one & Jan Hammer came into my head:

https://www.teepublic.com/sticker/12831430-reapercon-2020-brinewind-vacation-1

Stickers ordered!! 7 ReaperCon & 1 misc. These will look good on my mini cases. I picked up the Stormchaser logo, but since I was initially Wicked Hand when we first did our paid tickets. I'll eventually get all of them, but I liked Stormchaser the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Would something like Sophie silver work?  Trying to avoid having to place an order for a single bottle of paint. 

I believe so, but lemme check first. If you have Bright Silver, that's an almost perfect substitute. I was all excited about that one before I realized it was a limited edition paint. :down:

Huzzah! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Classes are free to take! You don't need a camera or a mic to participate, just a computing device with a screen and a way to type in the chat if you want to ask questions. ^_^

Huzzah!

yes i know, but none of them really jump out at me right now other than water effects, which i'm not really sure would be translated well over online video. i'm much more a hands on learner anyways

9 hours ago, Highlander said:

If by "...spring for any classes this year", you mean pay for any classes -- you don't.  Pay, that is.  They are free -- except for class materials.  And you probably have all or most of the paints.

i meant as in going through scheduling time to attend them, making sure i have all the materials, etc. none of them really catch my fancy, and i'm more a hands on learner anyways so i dont' think i'd really enjoy or get the full impact from a online video class

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I believe so, but lemme check first. If you have Bright Silver, that's an almost perfect substitute. I was all excited about that one before I realized it was a limited edition paint. :down:

Yeah, I have all the con edition paints. I realize not everyone does.  Sophie silver is in one of the swag boxes this year. 

09673 Bright Silver (Metallic) 2015 ReaperCon

09453 Filigree Silver  (available in the web store)

09652 Sophie Silver (Metallic) 2011 Origins Code, 2015 ReaperCon, 2020 ReaperCon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Sophie silver is in one of the swag boxes this year.

Oh that's awesome, thanks for pointing that out! 

After some testing, it looks like Sophie Silver kinda works, though the one I have is more a pearlescent than a proper metallic. I'll have to see what the newer version does once my swag arrives. It does the same thing colorwise as the metallic medium (acting as a white), while Filigree Silver captures the sparkle (though it desaturates a little due to the gray in it). I'm still sad that Bright Silver was a limited edition, it was perfect

Really, though, if you don't have some or any of the recommended paints, that's completely fine! I plan to make my classes as accessible as possible, and will suggest alternatives to whatever I'm using as I go along. 

Huzzah! 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Is MSP Pearl White similar enough?  I haven't used the Vallejo Metal Medium, so I don't know how white or grey it is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Is MSP Pearl White similar enough?  I haven't used the Vallejo Metal Medium, so I don't know how white or grey it is.

I'd already done some testing with it, and unfortunately it's definitely a pearlescent rather than a regular metallic. I will still be using it in class (it's shiny too, just a different kind of shiny!), but it's not really a great substitute for a metal medium. Part of the reason is because it uses a white flake, rather than a silver one (Anne explained it to me), which means it does different interesting tricks!

Metallic medium is basically just straight mica flake (usually silver, from what I've seen) suspended in a clear acrylic medium, so any color changes when mixing it with paints come from the optical properties of the flake. @Doug Sundseth can explain it far better than I can, but Vallejo's metal medium acts like white when mixed with other things, because all of the mica bits are all jumbled together when suspended, rather than lying flat. All of Reaper's metallic paints have some additional color added to them, which creates some really interesting results when mixing (and which we'll be exploring more in class), but can be frustrating when trying to get a specific effect.

I've got a couple more metallic medium paints from other companies heading my way (including a craft paint one), so I can see what they do, and so I can give more recommendations than just Vallejo's. FOR SCIENCE! :bday:

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just received shipping notice on my ReaperCon Swag Bundle. Now, I still need to figure out classes. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Got my shipping notice. Can't imagine it will take long to get here,since I am just a half hour away from the factory

One reason why I like ordering from Widget Supply(small tool/supplies store). It's on the other side of the state. 2 days shipping!

Hey I got a person signed up for my game!! It helps I'm one of the few non-AL games so far in the listings.

Maps acquired for the game! Now I just need to buy the tokens I'll use & learn the system more & I'll be set! Looking forward to this one. Heck the entire weekend as it sounds like my FLGS is gonna try to run anniversary events that weekend.

• Like 4