Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

Load up on vitamins. Vick's Vapor rub on feet, chest, forehead. Hot tea. Chicken soup. Sleep. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 11: What is your best remedy for treating a cold or flu? (Symptoms are fever, congestion, sneezing, coughing, etc.)

Step 1: Stubbornly go to work.

Step 2: Get sent home from work

Step 3: Day 2, think your feeling better, but no quite. Stubbornly go to work.

Step 4: See Step 2.

Step 5: Day 3 acquiesce and stay home in bed until you feel better.

Step 6: Realize if you'd just stayed home on Day 1 you would probably be better by Day 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Question for Sept. 11: What is your best remedy for treating a cold or flu? (Symptoms are fever, congestion, sneezing, coughing, etc.)

Sleep. Soup. Also booze. Let the fever run at maximum power because I took microbio, I'm bigger than a microbe, I know what fevers are for. I only intervene in a fever when it's strong enough to make me hallucinate.

Last true flu I was up and fine after 4 days.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Illithar said:

Step 1: Stubbornly go to work.

Step 2: Get sent home from work

Step 3: Day 2, think your feeling better, but no quite. Stubbornly go to work.

Step 4: See Step 2.

Step 5: Day 3 acquiesce and stay home in bed until you feel better.

Step 6: Realize if you'd just stayed home on Day 1 you would probably be better by Day 3.

This. So much this. Only I don't always get sent home, since I work in software.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

A bowl of white rice with honey, soy sauce, lemon juice and as much cayenne pepper as I can stand. Coats a sore throat, clears out the sinuses and makes dealing with a cold that much less awful. Sometimes I skip the rice and soy sauce if I don't have an appetite. 

• Like 8

Sleep, hydrate, painkillers if needed for headaches.

Hot Lemon drink / Chicken soup and telling my girl it's the end of the world.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

If there's a fever I go with the traditional ibuprofen or acetaminophen. For the rest I often use a russian remedy of a shot of vodka with 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper in it just before bed. Makes a person sweat like crazy for a bit and seems like it might reduce the strength of the symptoms. The wife also has some sort of vietmnamese medicine that you use like Vick's or menthelatum. Rub it on my nose and throat. Not sure what else is in it but it smells like camphor and menthol plus other stuff. It help me breath better when congested. The interesting thing with it is if you don't have a cold you smell it but don't feel it. When sick it can feel like your nose is going to burn off for a few minutes even though it's applied to the outside. Buckley's if I have a cough. Other than that rest as much as possible and eat well.

• Like 9

Surprised nobody has gone with the "obvious" tongue in cheek answer - don't have to deal with the symptoms if you don't catch it! :p

....Dayquil and liquids for me.  Dayquil so I don't look and sound like a walking plague bearer... 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Lucky sea dog..

I hope you don't begrudge me a little compensation for prolonged absence from friends and family.

Soak white onions and bread in hot milk, additional doses of honey for sore throat and lemon for congestion.

Stiff tot of whiskey before bed.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

(Symptoms were ....vomiting, nausea etc.)

What liittle I tried can only be rated a FAIL: 

FAIL... FAIL... FAIL, FAIL, FAIL. 

Next time go to one of those non-urgent care clinics and ask for ciprofloxacin.  It's cheap, readily available, a will cure digestive distress from bacterial infections. 

I got a bottle through my family care doctor and , based on reports, will need to remember it next year for Reapercon. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Stay home.  Get plenty of rest.  Drink plenty of fluids.  Take a multivitamin if you can get one down.  NyQuil if sleep doesn't come naturally.  DayQuil or similar if I have to be functional (but, really, if I have a fever, I don't want to be functional).

I agree with @NebulousMissy.  If you're suffering a fever, let the fever do its work.  (This presumes a standard fever and not one of those ridiculously-high-you-should-go-to-the-ER-right-now fevers.)  Wrap up in a bunch of blankets and endure the chills.  If you wake up in a sweat, congratulations, the fever broke!  Now you just have to deal with the long tail symptoms.

I used to drink Pace picante sauce to deal with sinuses.  I'm not certain it helped (but I like the taste of it, so it's not all bad).

• Like 9

When I got a bad cold in California I'd get a quart of fresh salsa, stupidly hot. Then I'd eat the whole thing, as much as I could manage. Fresh salsa is basically made of necessary vitamins and when you're that sick you can't feel the horrible burning pain you should be in. Generally worked by the time I was 2/3rds through the quart.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

Take medicine as directed.

If that doesn't work ( or it doesn't work fast enough ) then I round up all the cold medicine in the house, take a dose of each, and wash it all down with a shot of brandy/whiskey/vodka/ whatever high octane alcohol is available and then go to sleep. I wake up the next day feeling much better.

It's probably not safe to do, though.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

On 9/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, Inarah said:

Today's question is brought to you by Crowley.  

Question for Sept. 10: Now that ReaperCon is over, what are you most looking forward to?

I can't say as I was looking forward to ReaperCon given I wasn't attending.  In the spirit though, I have some time off at the end of them month.  I might even do something hobby related.

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Don't get sick.  Its worked for me going back to last decade.  I don't even keep medicine in the house.

• Like 9