Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for the weekend of Sept 21-22:  It is the end of summer. How did yours go? Any particularly good experiences to share? 

It's been a season of ups and downs. I'm keeping a smile on my face, but... but... 

ReaperCon was awesome. Spending a week with my family was great (wish it had been for a better reason). Biking Manhattan yesterday was just so much fun. 

• Like 11

I don't like summer. It's too hot, too humid, and vacations tend to result in me just wishing I could cut my feet off to stop the pain. Overall, the only real difference for this summer was that I got to spend a bit more time near the end of it with my wife, due to training schedule at work, but it didn't amount to much. I didn't even do as much with my kiddo on the days we have off together in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

On 9/20/2019 at 8:55 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 20:  Have you ever been part of a clinical research study or drug trial? 

Not a clinical research study, but an academic research study, I have. It was a survey studying how people learn. My step mother was working with a colleague who was doing the study while step mom was writing her second book about mixed methodology in teaching. 

• Like 9

On 9/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, Inarah said:

Question for the weekend of Sept 21-22:  It is the end of summer. How did yours go? Any particularly good experiences to share? 

Eh? Busy. Good: moved out of the old, buggy apartment. Bad: still don't have a new apartment (should be resolved when I get home from Grandma's). Good: ReaperCon was awesome! 

Yeah, that's about it. 

• Like 10

On 9/21/2019 at 10:22 AM, Inarah said:

My summer was pretty good.  Lots of pool parties, karaoke, and games.  Plus I got to go hiking and camping in Nevada and Utah for 10 days (Valley of Fire, Kolob, Red, and Zion canyons) and see some friends in Vegas. ::D:

• Like 8

On 9/21/2019 at 11:22 AM, Inarah said:

Apart from the fact I don't like change, I think it was a pretty good summer.  Got a new job. Moved to a new city. Wasn't crushed by an airborne pro stock race car.
And in the last week: accepted an offer on our house back in NS and Friday had our offer on a house here where my new job is accepted.  

• Like 10

On 9/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, Inarah said:

Best Summer of All.

Retirement helped make this an amazing summer. Three road trips with darling hubby to visit wonderful friends, one per month. Classes for seniors at the University in town. Random art lessons that struck my fancy. It was a great time!

• Like 18

It had its ups and downs. Professionally, it was a busier season than usual. And although we didn't have as many 100+ heat days as normal, there was excessive rain this year and the associated humidity made what would normally be comfortably warm days feel like trying to work in a sauna. But I had a real good team of interns this year, we made great strides in reducing our backlog and completing the goals of a grant that's coming to a close soon. Unfortunately, a position on a multi state regulatory board I've been angling for was given to someone else. Someone that I trained. I have a pretty full plate at work right now, but that really stung. 

In terms of my personal life it's also a mixed bag. I was so busy with work and prior commitments that a bunch of house projects got pushed back. I only made it to one baseball game and it was to see the Pirates (shudders). So that was disappointing. But a friend left his 4 year old with me at that game for a couple of innings so my wife and I taught him rude hand gestures, which was an awful lot of fun. I've also had several friends and family members suffering this summer. They all live too far away for me to do anything more than let them know I'm thinking about them. That's been really rough and on my mind a lot. 

I think the most memorable thing that happened this summer was rescuing a juvenile hummingbird in my garden who then proceeded to hang out on my finger for a while. Up until last week he was still coming back to the garden. Although he hasn't landed on me since he's still quite the inquisitive fellow, getting pretty close to check me out. I'm really hoping he returns next year.

That's summer I suppose. Hoping for a positive fall for everyone.

• Like 10

The observed summer will continue here for another few weeks.

It has been an interesting summer.  Good parts included finishing my dental work saga for the year and taking time off work for my wedding anniversary, most of which I spent organizing.  I should take pictures of my painting area.  We got approved for our home equity line of credit so we can get house repairs done (e.g. the roof).

Bad parts included ongoing wackiness at work and having to cancel going to ReaperCon to pay for my dental work saga.

• Like 7

Question for Sept 23.  It's the first day of Fall.  What's the weather like where you are? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 23.  It's the first day of Fall.  What's the weather like where you are? 

Partly cloudy, light breeze, high near 80°F (27°C).

It's been a warm fall (after a cool spring and cooler than usual summer).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Supposed to be low 80s here today with showers. A much needed break from upper 80s and 90s the last 2 weeks and some much needed rain!

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Sunny and a bit warmer than I'd like.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Inarah said:

High of 72°, currently sunny but supposed to be cloudy in the afternoon. 

• Like 6