Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

23 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 24:  Which would you rather spend the day at: an art museum, history museum, or science museum? 

History, preferably combined with the Great Outdoors in the form of a Battlefield Tour.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 24:  Which would you rather spend the day at: an art museum, history museum, or science museum? 

Art museum. I love my local one. It's got a lot of colorful pieces in bright open areas and is extremely accessible by the general public.

The science museum around here is outstanding. But being a middle aged guy without kids, I get a lot of weird looks when I go there by myself. Like I'm about to snatch somebody's sticky little snot generator. Also, despite the fact I like kids, I have not built up the tolerance to screaming, running demon spawn that others have. Kind of degrades the experience.

The history museums around here are nice and all, but I can only learn about the same few battles and burial mounds of indigenous people before I start to get bored. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Inarah said:

This is an evil question as I love all of them.

By default, I prefer science museums as they often have "hands-on" displays. But I also know that my scientific knowledge is normally far above the "for the whole family" levels of information, so repeat visits get dull fast.

Art museums really make me appreciate the level of mastery in the great artists and sculptors of the past. There was insane amount of time and effort spent into those works.

History museum really give you a solid impression of what life was like in those days. Be it what soldiers wore and how they fought; the opulent lifestyle of the monarchy; or the simple tools and bare possessions of the commoner.

Some museums I visited:

• Louvres (Paris)
  • Hermitage (Saint Petersburg)
  • Versailles Palace
  • Rodin arts museum (Paris)
  • Moscow Kremlin museum
  • Gulag history museum (Moscow)
  • Tokyo national arts museum
  • Amsterdam arts museum (forget which one as it was 30+ years ago)
  • Rotterdam arts museum (forget which one as it was 30+ years ago)
  • One of the London museums (forget which one as it was 30+ years ago)
  • National museum in Beijing (well, one of them)
  • American museum of natural history (NYC)
  • Toronto science center
  • And so many more!
Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 11

34 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Hmm, probably the National Museum of the US Air Force. Which might reasonably count as all three. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Probably History or Science.

Whichever one dinosaurs count as ::D:

The Denver Museum of Natural History changed its name to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. And it's a very good dinosaur museum, so "Yes".

• Like 9

History! Don't get me wrong I love the others, but history. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Yes! :)

Though I'd remove art museums if it's "modern art". I'll never understand taking down a Bouguereau and putting up a white canvas, and considering the two as equals.

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:
1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Probably History or Science.

Whichever one dinosaurs count as ::D:

This is also my answer.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum please. 

If I was stuck with local choices...there is an Art Museum hereabouts I have never been to. 

• Like 8

History , Science then art.  Science would be higher but like Cranky Dog I am way above their level and can usually nitpick when they get something wrong by dumbing it down. History is nice because it usually is a local museum that has History I am not totally familiar with.  Too many Art museums include Non Art (normally misidentified as Modern Art) but I still love our local Art Museum.  It is World Class and free to see the collection. The roving exhibits can cost to see, but not the normal galleries. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

If it could only one, I would choice an art museum...MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) in Manhattan was a favorite.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Honestly, it depends on what is on display. 

I have Very Strong Opinions. On all three. So I will go to whichever is least likely to start me foaming at the mouth ranting in the middle of the museum. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Yes. 

Seriously, that sounds like a perfect day.  Start with the science museum, then art, finish with history. Then top it off with a dinner at a fantastic restaurant and I am in heaven. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I'm happy at most museums, and the direct answer to this question is "it depends on my mood."

I love the Smithsonian museums, I'm very happy with the Carnegie museums here in Pittsburgh, and the Met in NYC. But a personal favorite is the museum at the Palazzo Ducale in Venice, Italy. It's a great medieval and Renaissance history museum with a large selection of Italian arms and armor, plus a wing of Japanese artifacts, all inside an awesome building just off the Piazza San Marco.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Those all sound good. 
I'd go with History in the morning, while I'm fresh, then lunch, then Art during the early afternoon, to just relax and study the exhibits.  And end with Science because science is always interesting, even at the end of a long day.
If I had to chose one, it would really depend on where I was and what the subjects are.  Within Canada, history would pretty much rank last, because we got bombarded with Canadian history throughout school.  In places other than North America, history would probably rank first.
Science would depend on what they covered. I'm more interested in tech stuff than natural science stuff (well, except dinosaurs, obviously).

Art, well, the odds of me knowing anything about anything they advertise is pretty slim, but if it is somewhere really famous, then it might get the top billing.

• Like 7

If I have to pick just one, I'd go with art. History I generally prefer to get from books, and science in ways that go beyond the family friendly level that most science museums cater to. However, making me pick is evil. ::P: Especially in a city so full of them as NYC!

• Like 7