Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 24:  Which would you rather spend the day at: an art museum, history museum, or science museum? 

History, I think.

Last time I went to a science museum I got bored real quick. My knowledge base was leaps and bounds above what they were teaching, which made the museum itself just... boring. Like sitting in on an elementary school class. It was... demoralizing. I remember when such museums were fun, interesting, even when they got childish because I'd learned too much. Now they're just tedious.

Never appreciated art museums. Too much focus on old European guys. Not enough focus on Rest of World.

• Like 6

Question for Sept 24:  Which would you rather spend the day at: an art museum, history museum, or science museum? 

Yes?

I’ll admit that without a break my eyes tend to glaze over around hour 4, but generally I like museums.

• Like 8

It would depend on what exhibit is rotating through, but all things being equal probably history. 

• Like 7

All of the above?

I am a scientist, so going to a science museum can be hit or miss. A good science museum will make my day, bar none. But there are also some kinda lame science museums out there that don't present anything new, or don't present things I know well, or aren't updated. I found something wrong at the darn Smithsonian last time I went! Ok, they're pretty good, but update the signs with new info. Hmph.

I like some art styles, but not all. I very much enjoy some. I find art museums quite relaxing. History museums too. I always have enjoyed seeing various armor and weapons exhibits. Sad that I always miss the traveling torture devices one - what? People are awful and we should learn just how awful they are!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The History of the Science of Art. ::D:

Hm or Science of Art History?

Or Art depicting Science through History?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Whichever one my wife is going to.

What?  A not glib answer?  Fine...

Science.  I have broad but shallow knowledge about lots of things so I usually learn something while I'm there.  The same thing is usually true of history museums but science museums have better hands-on activities.  I'm sure I'll learn something fascinating at a history museum but there's nothing quite like experiencing aerodynamics by making paper airplanes.

(This is a longer variant of my glib answer.  You see, my wife and I got married at a science museum.  We went to that museum on our first trip together.)

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Whichever one my wife is going to.

What?  A not glib answer?  Fine...

Science.  I have broad but shallow knowledge about lots of things so I usually learn something while I'm there.  The same thing is usually true of history museums but science museums have better hands-on activities.  I'm sure I'll learn something fascinating at a history museum but there's nothing quite like experiencing aerodynamics by making paper airplanes.

(This is a longer variant of my glib answer.  You see, my wife and I got married at a science museum.  We went to that museum on our first trip together.)

Sir Cyr and I ended up on our first date kinda accidentally... to the Denver Natural History Museum (science museum). He had invited some friends to go, who both pooped out of going last minute. We got stuck in 3 hours of traffic on the way, and didn't hate each other on the way there.

I still have the museum ticket stub from that day :)

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

If it's a ancient-medieval period history museum, I'm all for that (I find history got real boring once gunpowder became common use). But I do enjoy the sciences (I have been known to ramble on with science...). I'd be happy with either one.

Since I'm going to be spending the day at one of these, it's really going to come down to who has the cleaner bathrooms.

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Probably History or Science.

Whichever one dinosaurs count as ::D:

If you find yourself in New York City, the Museum of Natural History has the dinosaurs. :) Somewhere I have a picture of myself with a red scarf unfurled acting as a bullfighter to a triceratops skeleton.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

I am torn between art and science. 

But, if I absolutely, put-a-gun-to-my-head, had to choose one, it'd probably be science.

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

As an art major, I find so much actual appreciation for Art museums. I've been to history museums, and science museums, and they're nice and all, but I could spend much longer in an art museum.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Um, Natural History museum. Dinosaur bones, ALL. DAY. LONG. ;)

Barring that, any place that has pretty weapons (so Art or History depending on the museum), or the insanity of House on the Rock.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

I enjoy all three.

I'll go with history for now.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

If you find yourself in New York City, the Museum of Natural History has the dinosaurs. :) Somewhere I have a picture of myself with a red scarf unfurled acting as a bullfighter to a triceratops skeleton.

That sounds like an excellent photo ::D:

***Googles "New York Natural History Museum***

Wow, that looks AMAZING!!!! ::o:

I'll have to check it out if I ever get to NYC , thanks for the heads up.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

History first, science second and art third.

• Like 6