Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 25: What needs to be invented to make your life easier? 

Lab grown meat. Bring on the synthetics. I'm not scared of scienced-to-heck food!

Ok, it exists, but make it tasty and affordable.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cyradis said:

Lab grown meat. Bring on the synthetics. I'm not scared of scienced-to-heck food!

I'm a carnivore.

If lab grown meat becomes affordable, safe and tasty, I will buy it!

• Like 12

From what I've read, the stuff that has been made is safe, but barely makes the tasty mark and isn't yet affordable. Two more hurdles to get over!

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Well, if the science people wouldn’t be so stuffy about their ethics and stuff, we could get on that genetic engineering and make us a Khan. Or is it the people watching the science people who get stuffy? 

In any case, the moral is that we need to be less ethicsy so we can bring about the end the world, do our mad max phase, then get on with the Star Trek phase. :rock:

Well, someone supposedly built a clean room in a maker space, created a virus to alter his stomach lining, swallowed it, and cured his lactose intolerance. So the genetic engineering is just starting where we aren't expecting it....

But yeah, Star Trek level medicine would make my life easier... might even be pain free for the first time in my life.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Telomere extension.

I'll agree with this, at least as a reasonable proxy for any number of useful improvements to life expectancy and/or other reversals for the ravages of age.

I'll take a "wait and see" position on which mechanism advances furthest fastest.

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I have no fear of lab-grown meat, but I have deep skepticism of its quality (in comparison to animal-grown meat) for the foreseeable future.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Let's get all transhumanism up here! Cortical stacks! Get me a new body, this one is broken.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

I have no fear of lab-grown meat, but I have deep skepticism of its quality (in comparison to animal-grown meat) for the foreseeable future.

Taste and texture quality, yeah. I think that's going to be a problem point for a while. Safety I suspect will be better though. It can be made in a more sterile environment than real animals can be. Less risk of parasites or diseases.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

I like the teleportation idea...

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

A replacement spine!

...but this is quite appealing as well.

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Just remember folks, to get to our Star Trek phase, we have to go through a mad max phase. So don’t loose hope if the world goes to heck!

Bring it!!

I need a viable excuse to have a car like this:

555b3d6869bedd4d3d891f6a-750-562.jpg.8337ab21d901553d79e9d8af46a66b61.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

A Second Chance Machine: now that I have a better idea of what I should have done, I would love a chance to get life right.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Question for Sept 26: Describe a time when you had to break the rules to get the job done. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 26: Describe a time when you had to break the rules to get the job done. 

I routinely worked overtime without pay when I worked at a university lab. I had no permanent designated space to prepare reagents for students labs; Mondays we never had lab, so I had to use the empty labs on that day to do all my prep work for the entire week. Essentially, do 40 hours worth of work in an 8 hour day, which turned into 10-11 hour days regularly. The university never allowed OT pay without prior approval and it being a life or death situation for the department.

I also used a cheat code to give myself 100000 florins in Medieval 2 Total War so I could beat the Mongol invasion as Russia.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Not sure I can do that without incriminating myself with the US government lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

23 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I'm gonna take a hard pass on this one. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Claiming the Fifth on this one.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4