Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 26: Describe a time when you had to break the rules to get the job done. 

Oh Cool. I remember one!

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Claiming the Fifth on this one.

Uhh. Wait. You guys have (or call it) a Fifth Amendment in England? 

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I also used a cheat code to give myself 100000 florins in Medieval 2 Total War so I could beat the Mongol invasion as Russia.

I am unable to consider the waging of virtual war inside a game to be any sort of work. 

21 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

I'm not great at following stupid rules. 

I am excellent at following stupid rules. The very bestest means of teaching stupid people who have implemented stupid rules is to follow those rules to the letter while carefully documenting the correct following of the rules. 

Then sit back and watch it all cascade fail. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I also used a cheat code to give myself 100000 florins in Medieval 2 Total War so I could beat the Mongol invasion as Russia.

You ... you ... you monster!

Sometimes a bigger monster is needed to defeat other monsters... have you learned nothing from Godzilla movies???

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 26: Describe a time when you had to break the rules to get the job done. 

Hmmm, I'm pretty good about not doing that....closest would be "exciting" things like: implemented an adhoc production change at 3 am to get the system running and didn't submit the emergency change request for it until 9 am .

Crazy rebel, I know.....

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, TGP said:

Uhh. Wait. You guys have (or call it) a Fifth Amendment in England? 

No. :mellow:

But I'm still claiming it.

(British criminal law does allow you to refuse to answer any question, but your refusal is put on record.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

I rewrote a UNIX script. I believe it was a Korn Shell script. 

The Job: send my latest exploded drawing to a laser printer. Bring the laser print to a technical writer. Let him or her review it and decide on any changes or sign off on it. 

So I typed (at the prompt, in an XWindows window) the printing ‘command’:

prompt $: run_print

And all I got was a funky looking error message that said something about line 17. No print. Laser printer stayed silent. 

So I started trying to learn things. About UNIX, and scripts, and hidden files, and search paths, and permissions...

(...a long boring story later that was basically me doing other folk’s jobs...)

It turned out that:

—“run_print” was a script not a command;

—our Bossman controlled the scripts;

—he considered scripts his, and only his, purview;

—our Bossman was on vacation;

—the failure was actually on line 16 (of the script);

—the system admins had changed the address paths of all the printers on the network;

—But! ...the old address was hard coded within the script. 

The Fix: I rewrote that script, made my own copy, and for a few days, until Bossman got back from vacation, I was the only one that could print stuff the normal way.  But that broke some unwritten rules about who was allowed to do what:mellow:

( I could only implement it for my account because the read/write/delete permissions were set such that I couldn't help anyone else. )

Edited by TGP
  • Like 11

On 9/25/2019 at 9:39 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 25: What needs to be invented to make your life easier? 

Snow repellent surfaces for streets, driveways and sidewalks. (must be non-toxic to the environment :))

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

Nope, sorry. I'm not certain whether the statute of limitations has expired on all of 'em yet.

I CAN tell you about a time where I followed stupid rules to the absolute maximum, though. Malicious compliance. :devil:

In the Navy, at least back when I was in, electronics technicians (my job) were responsible for operating the ships closed circuit TV  (CCTV) system. One fine day while we were (can't tell you that part) I was on watch. One of the things i was responsible for while on watch was changing the movies in the CCTV system. Well,  there were about 6 different (figurative) fires going on that all demanded my attention and needed resolution 5  minutes ago. On top of this, somebody called me up over the radio to complain that the movie had ended 15 minutes ago, and why hadn't I changed it yet? So, I ran down to the CCTV equipment room and grabbed the first movie I layed eyes on and put in in the player.

It was Dawn of the Dead.

It also just so happened to be dinner time.

Apparently, zombies gruesomely killing people isn't considered acceptable dinner-time TV fare. Who knew? :ik_oops:

So, we all got the 'talking to' and told that we weren't allowed to play anything with over a PG rating during mealtimes. Well, all of us interpreted that in different ways.

I played Raiders of the Lost Ark (the wrath of heaven, bad guy melting scene at the end is pretty darn bloody, BUT it's rated PG:devil:), Jaws, and anything else I could find that was both PG rated and had blood and gore in it. Another guy went with Disney/Pixar movies. A third went for old black and white WW2 Navy movies. Everybody did something different. After about 5 days of this, the rest of the crew was close to mutiny, so the higher ups rescinded the PG rating rule and just asked us to try not to put anything too terribly graphic on during meal times.

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

ME?! Break rules!? I would never! Ever! :devil:

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

I work at an FI. This... isn't something I can do, not to get my job done. There have been many MANY times where I have wanted to do something, were the CU I work at wanted to do something, but we couldn't due to confidentiality rules. We threaded the needle once, but I have never been in a situation where breaking the rules would have accomplished anything other than producing further problems.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

Hmm...

I'll go with when we were told that XSLT stylesheets had to be written by IT, then IT said they couldn't write the stylesheet we needed. I wrote the necessary stylesheet (having never worked with XSLT previously) to get the job done.

6 years later WE write the stylesheets and IT stick with keeping the [ancient] system running...

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

Once upon a time, I may have worked for a conservation group that had a strict 'no interference' policy regarding injured wildlife. I may have rescued a young bird of prey that had fallen out of the nest, was dehydrated and was being ignored by the parents. I may have taken it to a wildlife rehabilitation centre (couldn't climb the tree and risk disturbing the nest) and I may have not given a flying fig about the conservation ethics of it :ph34r:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Once upon a time, I may have worked for a conservation group that had a strict 'no interference' policy regarding injured wildlife. I may have rescued a young bird of prey that had fallen out of the nest, was dehydrated and was being ignored by the parents. I may have taken it to a wildlife rehabilitation centre (couldn't climb the tree and risk disturbing the nest) and I may have not given a flying fig about the conservation ethics of it :ph34r:

Yeah, I’d make a terrible scientist. I be out there smacking birds away from baby turtles and penguins all day long.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

I'm glad I play with rocks. It is usually governments or claim owners that tell us we can't put the rocks in our pockets. But if that restriction isn't present, then PRETTY ROCKS GET PICKED UP.

I'd be a pretty bad biologist. Then again, there may also be an argument for saving more, since they're probably going to die choking on plastic later anyway :zombie:

• Like 11

I have never technically broken a rule, but I have a knack for workarounds ::D: I'm just about completely out of those though...IT spends a lot of time making life difficult for people like me who kind of sit between business and IT and so we are not allowed to do a lot of stuff and they lock it down, I usually manage to figure out a way to continue to do my job.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4