Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

35 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 27: What do you like most about the area where you live? 

I like that it's "pretty good" in a lot of different ways. 

Would it be nice to have seasons?  Maybe, but I appreciate not having any of the winter BS the rest of the country experiences.  And the days when the weather hits that perfect combination of sunny, breezy, and pleasantly warm are just sublime.

Would I like mountains closer to me?  Definitely, but beaches, forests, rivers, springs, and swamps are lovely too.   Plus, my girlfriend is terrified of heights, so I wouldn't get her on many mountain trails anyway. :lol:

There's enough people to support all kinds of scenes and activities, for whatever you're into.  We've got a half-dozen FLGS and there are board game meetups almost every night of the week.  I could go scuba and sky diving in the same day, if I wanted.  There are two dozen local breweries withing 30 minutes of my house, along with bars with arcades, axe throwing, or live amateur wrestling (the WWE is based here).  Lots of concert tours are going to include a stop in Tampa, Miami, or Orlando. 

If you're an introverted hermit that hates the outdoors, well, most places deliver and your home definitely has central air. ::P:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Solitude, peace and quiet combined with excellent views. A community that is friendly, sociable, but not "in your face". Excellent local meat, fish and dairy produce.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Pittsburgh is an incredibly walkable City, with no more bicycle issues than any other large City I've lived in. There are job opportunities at every level in several industries. The arts are a major part of Pittsburgh's culture, and I consistently talk to theater audiences who are excited to see a new Shakespeare show today and then go see the next Steelers/Pirates/Penguins game tomorrow.

The city has an incredible history, a story of constant reinvention and quiet ubiquity throughout the country and world; if you've ever worked in an office in North America you've probably stood on girders or stared through windows made in Pittsburgh or by ex-pat Pittsburghers; if you enjoy Jazz or Musical Theater you probably love a standard or two with its roots in Pittsburgh; if you've ever loved a dinosaur, it's likely got history with Pittsburgh. (Not always quiet ubiquity: if you've ever been to a sports bar, in almost any City in the world, you've likely shared space with a Steelers fan!)

The city has gorgeous architecture, beautiful parks, abundant Life. It's growing, looking forward, forgetting nothing. We've got problems, sure, but for the most part we own those. I love this place!

TL;DR:

IMG_20190409_174039726_HDR.thumb.jpg.d29410bbcef296862cd8cf6460798207.jpg

IMG_20180913_185644556_HDR.thumb.jpg.94e76d5967aa2f0be7a37587018ea15b.jpg

(Views of downtown from Mt. Washington to the South and from the North Shore)

IMG_20190311_073113787.thumb.jpg.4dcd259f61ea199dabd84e9c1db5de15.jpg

(The rotunda of the Union Trust Building... This was originally a SHOPPING MALL. Who wouldn't want to buy a shirt in this environment?!)

IMG_20180704_111949798_HDR.thumb.jpg.1b1d8f77a0d82f7a8cf5a20ca877b7b5.jpg

(My deck. No complaints, here!)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Nothing really springs to mind.

I basically only live here because I can't go anywhere else.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Uhm.... City is fine, I suppose.  Won't comment about the area, although there hasn't been a murder within three or four blocks for about a year now... 

Calgary was kinda cooler/nicer, even if different things sucked about it. Transit didn't suck anywhere near as much though. 

Gaming scene is pretty nice though... 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

I live in the type of town where getting a second McDonalds restaurant on the north side of town was the most news-worthy event for about 10 years. So it used to be low-key. Unfortunately, the opioid epidemic and Narcan is now making weekly headlines.

I'd say now the best thing now is that I have I good place to view wildlife (mainly deer) from my house and they aren't in danger of being shot because we're still within the town limits.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Reasonably peaceful, lots of green, squirrels and birds visit our garden and lots of butterflies.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Family. Most of them are 3000 miles away :bday:

Aside from not having to deal with that broccoli there's also the food here. The walkability. The fact that I grew up in Los Angeles in the 80s and 90s means modern Philadelphia just feels so danged safe in comparison and there isn't a trace of purple there.

And the cost of living. Here with my government job with its government salary being a good 40% lower than I could get in the private sector I'm still solidly middle class. I can afford rent, food, spontaneous miniature purchases, heck I can afford my medical bills. My brother lives in California and he makes about what I make, he can't afford rent so he still lives with our parents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

On 9/26/2019 at 9:31 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 26: Describe a time when you had to break the rules to get the job done. 

Our director of operations asked me to hack the wifi in one of our buildings because he "didn't have" the password (he lost it). This was in front of our CEO. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

Decidedly fewer people than my previous place of residence (note that this doesn’t actually translate to less traffic), lots of pleasant parks, clean city, and more affordable. Also, more family around for my baby girl.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

There are lots of nice trees around these here parts. I like trees...

6AD4475D-5BBF-4AF2-980F-7598FD74CD16.thumb.jpeg.101d56ae700b8785d42e3d9cd7bddf97.jpeg0544BC82-F7A3-48AD-B888-D55E92508A2B.thumb.jpeg.24dc48173412bc044d60f8ce7aa4ca67.jpeg438CD3F0-5225-4717-95B9-203E062F8005.thumb.jpeg.ed9cfac5515728e9d257686cfc5e8753.jpegD4BCA0CA-A50D-4C6F-994C-BDC6C4361B81.thumb.jpeg.504bbebbd850026c6d30dd6138b71b8f.jpeg52E68711-5975-4807-A0E6-58A98B7CA9F0.thumb.jpeg.89947fec1ec1adfa758871ee56cb408f.jpeg

And, I have lizards! They like to climb on my bricks and sun themselves. 

• Like 14

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Space...

This was a few years ago (when it had actually been raining), but we do have local wildlife as well (this is the view outside our dining room window)

wallaby.JPG

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

(I'm answering this question based on my immediate surroundings.)

It's a relatively quiet neighborhood, not too far from stuff, and we get to see a fair amount of wildlife.

• Like 7