Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Nassau?

They could probably use all the tourist Euros they could get. 

Assuming any hotels left standing are fit for residence. The news reports are making it sound pretty bad. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Today's question is brought to you by Crowley.  

Question for Sept. 10: Now that ReaperCon is over, what are you most looking forward to? 

CAV Kickstarter coming in!

And getting to enjoy Halloween as a normal person!

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 10: Now that ReaperCon is over, what are you most looking forward to? 

Probably seeing what new stuff Reaper has planned to offer, since they don't have to worry about an imminent convention for another year. Based off some of the photos people posted from the con, it looks like they've actually read and thought about some of the suggestions from the "What Minis Do You Want To See" thread.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Don't you mean "incoming!" :lol:

So long as it's the other guy on the receiving end of a barrage. ... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

Being able to go to next year’s... maybe...

Looking forward to getting a job and getting a clean apartment.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Being able to go to next year’s... maybe...

Looking forward to getting a job and getting a clean apartment.

You have a 4 month old baby, you will not have a clean home for at least the next 18 years...

• Haha 11

15 minutes ago, Corsair said:

You have a 4 month old baby, you will not have a clean home for at least the next 18 years...

I mean, like, cleaner than the place I’m in right now -_-

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

NEXT Reapercon!

Halloween

Thanksgiving

Fall in general

• Like 10

On 9/7/2019 at 4:18 AM, Inarah said:

Challenge for Sept 7-8:  Take a picture of something you did, or something that interested you this weekend and share it. Tell us about what you were doing or what you saw.  It can be ordinary, or extraordinary.  

It was a rare sunny day, so we went out to a local reserve to look for wildlife. Nothing much new on the avian front, but the invertebrates more than made up for it ^_^

A Red Admiral

DSCN0750.thumb.JPG.bec8448eff92464de0e21905aacc3272.JPG

A Painted Lady. These butterflies take part in a multi generational migration from Central Asia to Iceland and every decade or so we get a "Painted Lady Summer" where millions arrive on these shores. They can cover 200 miles a day and there was so many this year that the clouds of them were being detected by weather satellites :blink:

DSCN0740.thumb.JPG.792f1df80485380242deb587aa2e7239.JPG

Small Copper- this is the first time I've seen one of these feisty little fellas at this site. The males defend a small territory from all other butterflies (which is hilarious when you see them driving off butterflies five times their size)

DSCN0776.thumb.JPG.f8ba035d4f7ad9172f597f9e3ca72533.JPG

My favourite butterfly, a Peacock. This species (along with Red Admirals) are native, but their numbers are bolstered every summer with some migrating from Europe. This one will probably hibernate and emerge in the spring to start the circle of life again.

DSCN0701.thumb.JPG.7819a4d520fbe5c37a4000bee3340261.JPG

But the highlight of the morning was myself wrangling a Common Darter dragonfly and my housemate pretending that she was a disney princess by getting a sleepy Peacock butterfly to move onto her hand ::D:

RSCN0874.thumb.JPG.130e3b76b7fa1b3414cf86bea079bd87.JPG

RSCN0875.thumb.JPG.bd5a5940654fe12d2ed951cac0fdd5ce.JPG

The trick to getting dragonflies to land on your hand is to find one basking and slowly creep up on it. If you can get within arms reach, slowly reach out towards it and keep your hand slightly lower than it's basking place. If it's calm enough, it will lift slightly into the air and that's your chance to place your hand below it. At this point you have a better than average chance of it landing on your outstretched hand :winkthumbs:

I have no idea how she wrangled that butterfly. They're usually way too flighty for that kind of nonsense ::D:

On 9/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 9:  What personality trait do you want to be best known for? (patience, creativity, generosity, etc)

Being down to earth and reliable.

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

I'm hoping to get my swag bag that I ordered last Tuesday. It still hasn't been sent out, so that may take some time <_<

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Inarah said:
6 hours ago, TGP said:

Nassau?

They could probably use all the tourist Euros they could get. 

Assuming any hotels left standing are fit for residence. The news reports are making it sound pretty bad.

Yeah they are and that is [ BzzzzZZZZzzzzzzz ]

I have been learning all sorts of things about the geography of the Bahamas lately. ( @OneBoot is currently on a ship which is legally home ported in Nassau, but currently approaching Alaska.) The Bahamas are an oceanic nation that consists of numerous different islands. 

The horrific damage was mostly on Grand Bahama and Abaco Islands as well as several very small nearby islands known as Cays (pronounced  Keys). Resorts on those two islands are heavily damaged. 

The capital Nassau is on a small island South of Abaco. It was out of the path of the Eye Wall and not necessarily badly damaged. There are other Bahamian islands further South of Nassau. There are resort establishments all over the country. 

So I am thinking the frightening images are going to make lots of people think the whole country is closed for business/wrecked for awhile. But in fact rooms at resorts located further South that only experienced 60-75 mph winds will be going begging because of the focus on the wrecked areas. 

And, going there and spending some tourist money ( € $ £ ) is exactly what their tourist economy will need. Whereas having the public avoid going there at all  for 6-8 months will be a second disaster. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 9:  What personality trait do you want to be best known for? (patience, creativity, generosity, etc)

Kindness

On 9/9/2019 at 11:02 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

I've known people whose most salient personality trait is, "Still alive". :blink:

On 9/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, paintybeard said:

I've known a few whose most salient trait was "More useful dead".

As we used to say playing Cyberpunk, 'parts is parts'!

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

I'm not sure if looking forward is the right word... I have Necronomicon in Tampa, the con I am on the staff for, running a paint and take. And there is The Christmas Party....

But honestly what I look forward to is a day when I can make a home baked loaf of bread, slather it with butter, and spend the day reading and painting with a minimum of interference, illness, or pain.

• Like 12

On 9/2/2019 at 12:51 PM, ImperialOfficer said:

Try to finish at least one project every day, and not start anything new.

Already failed. I started a new diorama that I won't finish a few hours after posting this.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:52 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 6: What song lyrics describe your week?

(*Note that the weekend question requires use of a camera, so make sure your phone or other device is charged and ready)

I can't answer this, since the only time I listen to songs with lyrics is against my will.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, Inarah said:

Creativity. Though most people probably dont notice I exist.

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

I didn't go to Reapercon, but now that school has started and I am getting used to the decreased free time I'm excited to be able to start working on things again.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Inarah said:

Taking vacation time and relaxing.

• Like 8