Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

16 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 14-15:  How do you base your figures? Do you have different styles? Photos of examples are welcome. 

My basing is very simple. my Mechs get a coat of paint on the base then while still wet, get dipped into some flock for a grass effect. Pretty boring really.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 14-15:  How do you base your figures? Do you have different styles? Photos of examples are welcome. 

I'm not terribly elaborate but I generally don't just stick the mini on a black base and call it done.  Sometimes I'll build a base and sometimes I'll just paint a purchased resin one.

post-13211-0-31286200-1423019195.jpg

5ae25c31ad482_MarshTroll6.thumb.jpg.858099e4ef8c3776281719235e9d3208.jpg

And sometimes I'll just do the grass thing.

post-13211-0-02143900-1451587204_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

I always put a mini in it's environment.

Jungle/Desert/ Snow wherever it is supposed to be.

Sometimes I use Resin Scenic Bases, sometimes I use Rollerpins and sometimes I just use flock/snow etc.

DSCN9916.JPG

DSCN8645.JPG

DSCN0624.JPG

Miniatures010_zpsba04e033 - kopie.jpg

DSCN9321.JPG

DSCN1576_zps022795aa.jpg

gallery2.JPG

DSCN1136.JPG

Insp C.JPG

DSCN8481.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 14

1 minute ago, Corsair said:

@Glitterwolf I love the frog mounted warrior frog!

It's a unit of three I got them as a present from @malefactus, they're part of my Lost World Project.

DSCN8646.JPG

Here is the Show Off

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78996-frog-heavy-cavalry-on-toads-eureka-miniatures-by-glitterwolf/&tab=comments#comment-1677909

• Like 10

Question for Sept 14-15:  How do you base your figures?

Very plainly. 

Question for Sept 14-15:  How do you base your figures? Do you have different styles?

Yes. But none are very exciting. 

Question for Sept 14-15:  Photos of examples are welcome. 

This will need to wait for tomorrow. 

• Like 7

I have different tubs of basing material, a few shades of flock and a few different grades of sand and fine gravel. Most often it's a simple job of paint the base in glue and dip in whichever I think is most suitable. Sometimes I do a little more detail mixing them or adding grass tufts and larger rocks. 

• Like 7

I tried all sorts of things over the years.

Now I've settled on two styles, standing on a cork rock with grass tufts:-

Jmzteds.jpg

And not standing on a cork rock with grass tufts:-

KGAp24Y.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

My 1", 2", and "small" miniatures get bases using zinc washers bought from home repair stores, with bases sculpted either from clay or Sculpy with Basius pads. 3" bases, I use Reaper's plastic bases, and 4" + I base on wooden bases from art supply stores.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

At the moment, I'd argue it's rather basic, but as I get better at it (and y'know, paint more things) I'm steadily adding in a bit more here and there.  Biggest issue right now is I know I need to pick up a few more supplies, such as a wider selection of tufts and various other things, plus practice certain skills.  So at the moment, I'll jokingly say it's cork and/or Vallejo terrain paste.

P1010302.thumb.JPG.81f6e8bedff7b65ca5b909f53aff7084.JPGIMG_20190331_000944.thumb.jpg.0bb5a07ae69e3a07dbf70b083389bf84.jpg

^First one was a combination of Magic Sculpt (for the very base elements) and a terrain roller, cork "boulders" and railroad flocking...
Second one was a combination of cork sheets, "fine" cork, and cork boulders.

I should probably take proper pictures of that Reaver of Kargir and post them :ph34r:

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

From the sublime to the ridiculous:

271403461_02621Laurana.thumb.JPG.e00a4d5b2335f4130d045b706df94c16.JPG

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

I don't do a lot of basing but I'm working on changing that. I have been known to do a snow base or two.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

I'm still at a lifetime total of... one. So I don't have a trend or usual habit, though I did purchase plenty of basing material to get into it.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

Tabletop figures get a standard black plastic base, filled with greenstuff textured  in theme (defaults are: metal plating for sci fi, brick for Victorian, stone or dirt for medieval). 

Display pieces get whatever is appropriate with plants or knickknacks or clutter added. 

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Inarah said:

I like to add scenic or thematic bases to my models, although the degree of effort invested varies from one project to the next. I have done classic cork rocks, Super Sculpey creations and other variations. A lot of my sci-fi projects have also wandered into urban rubble.

I don't know that I have good pictures for all of it, but I do have a few:

Front.jpg

Deathsleet3.jpg

Finished4.jpg

LAM2.JPG

• Like 14