Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

19 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 15:  How do you base your figures? Do you have different styles? Photos of examples are welcome. 

Answer summary from the 14th: “very simply; yes, several”.

I managed to snap some pictures. Putting them behind a tag because there are eight:

57B804F6-C008-41F2-87B5-0046572650DF.thumb.jpeg.3217917b13a00f147863fe95641d3fb9.jpeg

The Poorly Painted Troll

basing is ^ superglue and two colors of fine size, model railroading ballast. It has been mounded up over whatever unfortunate tab  connects the creature’s feet. 

7F99BE72-7B25-42C1-B903-BEB45487505A.thumb.jpeg.81c39e49a8741ce1a4cf9fe6adba89fb.jpeg

Snek! Snek! (A Swarm of One)

basing is ^ white glue covered in fine, green, woodland scenic, granulated flocking. The flocking soaks into the glue. 

3AF2060E-3AE7-485B-8C9C-1ECC73C73CB0.thumb.jpeg.cc5ab3656ac8552e9096aa16c153a5fc.jpeg

Malvernian Halberdiers

basing is ^ two toned broccoli. Integral base is a flat color with a darker ink(?) in the recesses. 

40A66839-FCA9-47D4-8220-3C6AC6E266E4.thumb.jpeg.3e3a16f2fc1d44b43b8ff89769446c4d.jpeg

Two Bret’s, an Orc, and a Lizard Walk Into...

basing is ^ coat the top of the black plastic base with a flat color, use the same on the figure’s tab to hide it, leave the bevel edge pristine plastic. 

58AA6109-7BDC-4806-81AB-6B5F26D98686.thumb.jpeg.3b36dff5be92a05b57f681405d2c49bd.jpeg

Brets and Their Orc

basing ^ experiments: Bret’s) a puddle of superglue underfoot, color mix of RR ballast dumped in until the glue is soaked up. Some of the top edge left as black plastic. Orc) he has been given an inverted base. The pockets on what was the underside were filled with globs of superglue then a different color mix of ballasts was added to soak into the glue. 

7C037A6D-AFE6-46B9-998E-82D6D3AA2955.thumb.jpeg.eaaa34939e81ae982f1006d7d805d289.jpeg

Gnoll Shooter

basing is ^ two toning the textured integral base. And perhaps it got some dry-brushed highlights. 

0E5E5B4A-A417-44F4-B9F8-2CBF17728790.thumb.jpeg.c0bef422c81a1f404f3fb86f84cc0cca.jpeg

Three Chaos Warriors

basing is ^ accidental ! ::o: Looks like a very subtle application of paint just on the top but not the sides? Nope. These poor Chaos Warriors have been gathering dust along with the rest of their unit. Literally. That is dust. :wacko: These guys were grabbed up to be photographed as an example of leave the plastic black. But the gremlins wrecked that idea. 

49B380D5-7C5E-413B-9683-61C494B9B793.thumb.jpeg.b398497bee0296f1c9d84db4be692ffa.jpeg

Baseless Shrooms

basing method ^ none. Design, modify, or assemble things so that they fit flush to a flat tabletop. This is quite useful for terrain bits, big four footed critters, boats, ships, Dungeon features, ...all sorts. 

[/spoiler]

• Like 11

On 9/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 14-15:  How do you base your figures? Do you have different styles? Photos of examples are welcome. 

Ugh

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

Ugh

Right. You hate basing if memory does not fib. 

• Like 3

On 9/10/2019 at 10:13 AM, Inarah said:

Today's question is brought to you by Crowley.  

Question for Sept. 10: Now that ReaperCon is over, what are you most looking forward to? 

Didn't attend Reapercon, but I am looking forward to taking a vacation this fall. We haven't decided where just yet. probably somewhere with lots of outdoor areas to explore.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 12:  Happy National Chocolate Milkshake Day.  What is your favorite flavor? Do you like mix-ins? (pieces of cookie or candy ground up in the shake?)

Back when my body was still capable of processing milkshakes I would have gone with a chocolate malt. No mix ins or toppings necessary.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 13:  Friday the 13th, lucky, unlucky, or superstitious nonsense? 

Superstition. That being said, there is at least anecdotal evidence that the full moon has an affect on people's behavior. A couple of state troopers I know swear that they get more calls and more weird arrests during the full moon. 

Question for Sept 14-15:  How do you base your figures? Do you have different styles? Photos of examples are welcome. 

I've only recently begun basing in the last year or so. As of right now I'm just using green stuff to build contours on a base and then covering it with various grasses and stuff I find outdoors. I also have some skulls and bit of other minis I've been using. here's a recent example...

721848816_rabbitprieststicks.jpg.d4bd38acdb95ec807b6c641a4bdc8c7c.jpg

• Like 15

On 9/14/2019 at 7:51 AM, Inarah said:

Some texture here, a tuft there, and it's all good. I have a lot of flocking and whatnot around here, so I'm ready to add anything.

Also, I'm still on the lookout for someone who has done a bass guitar base.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 8

Bases: Anymore just bare & most of the time not even painted other then primer. Weekly Games,  too little time to do anything about them. 

• Like 8

Most bases I do are pretty simple: either pumice paste (I use liquitex ceramic stucco, it's the same stuff - if not better - as Vallejo's and I can get it cheaper) or a GS/Happy Seppuku (RIP) stamp, then paint. 

Once I have a pile of things painted, I'll go through and put some flock on the pumice bases in a batch.

I do really enjoy making more elaborate scenic bases, I just have to weigh that against the time it takes... Most minis are destined for the D&D table, and often for "tonight's game! Nownownow!"

• Like 10

If at all possible I just paint it noir black because I want it to not be there.  

20190829_224535.png

• Like 10

Question for Sept 16:  Are you more productive in the morning, or in the evening?  Do you find it difficult to get used to a different schedule? 

• Like 5

Just now, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 16:  Are you more productive in the morning, or in the evening?  Do you find it difficult to get used to a different schedule?

You do understand what procrastination means right? My productivity is not tied to the time of day, but to the amount of urgency and pressure put on me. I can and have adapted to any schedule thrust upon me.

On a more serious note, I'm on a waiting list to see professional psychological help for ADD (more or less diagnosed by the social worker). It took me a long time to realize that I do need help, as I have great difficulty in focusing on anything unless I'm under pressure. My brain just isn't into it unless there's a an accompanying rush of adrenaline/dopamine. So when home, with no job pressure, and no obligations, nothing happens.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Productive? I am retired!  Productive.....PSHAW! Gimme coffee!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Depends, If I like what I'm doing then I can be productive no matter the time.

I can switch schedules without a problem.

• Like 8

On 9/11/2019 at 10:21 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 11: What is your best remedy for treating a cold or flu? (Symptoms are fever, congestion, sneezing, coughing, etc.)

Sleep

DayQuil/NyQuil

Honey

Neti pot

On 9/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 12:  Happy National Chocolate Milkshake Day.  What is your favorite flavor? Do you like mix-ins? (pieces of cookie or candy ground up in the shake?)

Favorite flavor of chocolate milkshake? Uhh... Chocolate! Otherwise I'm a big fan of strawberry milkshakes. Favorite mix-ins? I usually take it straight. 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:40 AM, TGP said:

Who do I have to bribe to get September 24th established as National Griffin Appreciation Day?

It would seem we missed out on National Coffee Milkshake Day. I can’t believe @Crowley didn’t mention it. 

*** continues to ponder answers ***

I generally prefer my coffee as god intended it. Hot and black. 

On 9/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 13:  Friday the 13th, lucky, unlucky, or superstitious nonsense? 

Yes. 

I'm a big fan of my Happy Seppuku base stamps, and wish I had more of them. Otherwise, fairly simply. Most of my minis are tabletop, so I don't worry too much about them. 

58 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I'm generally pretty productive in the 10am-1pm and 6pm-9pm hours. 

• Like 8

Productive? Pshaw! I'm retired! Just give me some Hot Chocolate!  (I'm thinking I might have Deja Vu,  I think I've heard that before.  Nah just my imagination Crowley)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6