Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 16:  Are you more productive in the morning, or in the evening?  Do you find it difficult to get used to a different schedule? 

If we're talking about painting, in the morning. My hands are steadier then. Writing, just before bed when my internal filter has fallen asleep before the rest of me. 

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 16:  Are you more productive in the morning, or in the evening?  Do you find it difficult to get used to a different schedule? 

Mornings. I'm typically more productive first thing in the morning. I'm one of those odd people who gets up before the sun and am out the door ready to work in under 30 minutes. When I'm working in the office this means I'm in before everyone else and I get an hour of uninterrupted work done before people show up and start distracting me. When I'm in the field it means I get to pick up a bunch of interns at our meeting spot at 5 AM and then drive a car full of sleeping kids all over the place. Thing is, I'm not really a morning person. But I've adopted this schedule because it gets work done and I am more likely to get field visits completed before the hottest part of the day hits us. 

As to whether I'm capable of switching schedules the answer is yes, every weekend and vacation. If I don't have to work my schedule immediately turns into sleeping late and staying up all night sipping beer and painting minis. Much more relaxing, but not productive at all. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I'm more of an afternoon person.

I used to handle a schedule shake-up fairly well, but I was young then, don't know how I'd manage nowadays.

• Like 7

On 9/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 14-15:  How do you base your figures? Do you have different styles? Photos of examples are welcome. 

Grudgingly.

For the moment, I've settled into using Happy Seppuku base stamps and tufts for fantasy minis. I should use flock more (I have lots of it).  Past minis used texture gel (primarily the Liquitex resin sand texture) or whatever else seemed like a good idea at the time.

BattleTech minis currently get sand but I'll try something different once I finish the current partially painted units.

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I'm usually most productive in the late morning or early evening.  Unfortunately, during the week, my hobby time is all in the late evening so productivity (and dexterity) suffers.

I don't find schedule changes to be major issues but I haven't had to deal with a severe schedule change for years.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

If I have to be somewhere, I'll knock out a morning task pretty quick, but I can also be horrendously unproductive quite a bit. I don't think there's a particular time of day that I am most or least productive, but probably any time after I get home from work, I tend to just want to sit around and do nothing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Evening, by most people's standards....  Brain starts working pretty well around 21:00, and can easily go until 01:30 or so.... Which doesn't work out so well when you have an 05:30 alarm clock to contend with... 

05:00 isn't a time to wake up, it's a good time to contemplate going to bed!  Day shift sucks! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Much more productive in the evenings. I'm very much a night owl. I don't deal well with schedule changes of any kind. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Definitely a morning person. I'm happiest if I can sit down to breakfast knowing I have already got at least one item of work under my belt.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

I tend to be productive with physically active things (cleaning, building, etc.) in the morning, artsy things (painting, writing) in the afternoon and early evening, and socially productive in the evening and night. I shift schedules fairly easily. I do better when I seriously jumble my schedule about once a week. If I work the same schedule for weeks in a row, I start to get insomnia, my anxiety goes up, and I am generally more grouch like. Exercise helps, but I really need to wear myself out every now and then. A couple nights of 3 hours of sleep does that job nicely. 

• Like 9

For the basing question it really depends on what I'm going for. If I'm building a base on a mini that I want to be usable for gaming I will make a base that is small enough that it can be used on a standard 1 inch or 30mm base. If I'm going for a mini that is display only, or if I'm just painting it for fun, then I really like a bigger base so that I have more room to tell a story. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

I had a traumatic experience this morning.

I woke up. :mellow:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

As I've worked graveyard for about 24 out of the 26 years I've worked at my current workplace, I'll definitely say evenings into mornings. Also don't mess with my schedule!!!

• Like 7

My biological clock broke. Attempts to fix it just smashed the pieces beyond any hope of salvage. 

Not Applicable (N/A) might be the most honest answer to the 16 Sept questions,  but I can comment:

Question for Sept 16:  Are you more productive in the morning, or in the evening?

I find it difficult to discern morning from evening at times. 

Do you find it difficult to get used to a different schedule? 

I find insomnia comes easily and schedules shatter readily. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Evening and night.

I used to be able to shift to any schedule. But that was because I'd been forced to live on an unnatural diurnal schedule. My schedule was already unnatural, shifting to another unnatural schedule was no more traumatic than staying where I was.

That all changed when I finally got a second shift job. I finally sleep according to my personal natural schedule. I'm not forced to wake up 6 hours early. I'm not sending myself to bed 8 hours before I can physically fall asleep. Now that I've acquired my natural schedule I find it extremely difficult to go back to something unnatural.

Basically, it's easier to not sleep at all than it is to wake up early.

• Like 8

If we are talking about work, the mornings are usually my most productive time. After lunch my productivity dips and then takes a nose dive the last hour I am there.

As for personal time? Kind of the opposite, I'm less productive in the morning and I kind of ramp up later in the day, then burn out and go to bed.

• Like 7