Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 17, brought to you by @Crowley:  What back to school shopping did you enjoy as a kid?

Crayons. My mom was an artist. She always made sure there was enough $$ in the school supplies budget so that there was an At Home box of crayons often the big 64 box launcher. 

Notebooks. It was a thing after the crayon era for every kid to have a ring binder. Their notebook. These could be fancy.  I had one that had spacecraft, astronauts, and Mars bases all over it. 

I’ll do The Nowadays part of the Question after I have a chance to snap a picture. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 17, brought to you by @Crowley:  What back to school shopping did you enjoy as a kid?  Now?

As a kid: all of it. New everything was fun. Just last year I threw out the last shirt my mom bought me for starting college. 

Now: Clearance game supplies! Pens, pencils, notebooks, storage, etc. Most of it gets picked up when back to school stuff gets cheap. 

• Like 8

On 9/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 14-15:  How do you base your figures? Do you have different styles? Photos of examples are welcome. 

I have tons of basing supplies, but never use most of them.  I've never had a basing area set up that worked out and I really need some space and time to play with a lot of that stuff.
So mostly a little sand or flock or a resin base for fantasy, some sort of resin for sci-fi, and resin cobblestones for Steamkpunk.
Eventually I'll hopefully get to play more with basing stuff.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 16:  Are you more productive in the morning, or in the evening?  Do you find it difficult to get used to a different schedule? 

Ummm, yes?  I can be productive in the morning, if I get going.  I can be productive in the early evening, if I get going.
Usually I put things off until "later" and nothing gets done.
Late evening, which used to be very productive, now isn't.  I either get tired, or my eyes are too tired, or my shoulder is too shaky.

If I'm coding or something (writing, if I ever get back to it) and get "in the zone" I can lose hours of time being very productive even late into the night, but then suffer the next day. I used to be able to work late into the night and still get up without issue 3-4 days a week, but now one late night I can tolerate, but two pretty much wipes me out.

If I'm the one changing the schedule, I'm fine.  If someone else changes my schedule, especially at the last moment, it bugs the crap out of me.  I like routine.

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 17, brought to you by @Crowley:  What back to school shopping did you enjoy as a kid?  Now?

I was a big fan of mechanical pencils and good erasers back in school (and then stabbing the eraser thousands of times with the mechanical pencil......it was before they had fidget toys.....).

Now?  Well, I still like a good mechanical pencil....graph paper, notebooks, craft type supplies.
What I really like now about back to school shopping through , is going to Walmart or Staples and seeing enthusiastic young kids that are still excited to learn dragging their parents around to look at all the new school stuff on sale.   Much nicer than seeing the angsty teenagers vaping in the park every morning on the walk to work.....

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 17, brought to you by @Crowley What back to school shopping did you enjoy as a kid?  Now?

We didn't really do that with my parents. But when my husband and I were first dating, he was very patient when he would see me all excited over the cool school supplies aisle. :lol: There were a few years where I would buy a new mechanical pencil or notebook or eraser and I was excited every time haha!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I don't remember ever having to go shop myself. That was grownup stuff.

Though I did always enjoy having a big, new, solid, rectangular unused eraser. Not one of those old rounded corner, destroyed sleeve, ones.

It also meant more "ammunition" to throw.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

All of it, since it drove my mother nuts. ^_^  I usually preferred day one of school - I was a weird kid that preferred school over two months off... 

Now?  Don't have kids, so don't have to worry about it. Don't plan on kids either, unless we're talking of the fluffy and/or bubbly kind. ^_^

• Like 6

Folders, I liked finding the coolest looking ones.

Coming in second would be getting a new backpack.

• Like 7

I loved buying pens and paper.  So much potential, especially with good pens.

I bought notebooks for a while, because three-ring binders don't survive in full backpacks.

I kept doing this until I was several years out of college.

Now?  I don't buy anything.  I have a nice stockpile of half-used notebooks that I feel silly buying more. I have a lot of college-ruled paper too.  And I probably have entirely too many pens, and most stores have stopped selling good pens.  (I prefer rollerball pens (or fountain pens) with small nibs, "micro" or "extra fine".)  I may buy more notebooks next year.  We'll see.

(What I really need is to remember to write in my painting journal.  If I can remember to write in the journal regularly, I can then justify getting a nice journal for it.)

(Related: What was my least favorite part of middle school science?  The lab notebook.)

• Like 7

Getting the new metal lunchbox with the little Thermos in it and some TV show on the outside.

Once an adult we would take our nieces and nephews for the shopping, it was our annual trip and a lot of fun. Now we still do it for  their kids and at least one of our nephews is doing for his nieces and nephews!

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 7

On 9/16/2019 at 9:30 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 16:  Are you more productive in the morning, or in the evening?  Do you find it difficult to get used to a different schedule?

It has varied over the years, due to school, different shift-hours for work, and most recently type of medicine. I'd say currently I am most productive in the morning hours, between 9 to 11am; I've had the chance to shrug off the grogginess from the previous night's medication. I can get used to a different schedule pretty easy, but the time I spent working third shift has told me that no one should be awake from 2 to 4am... always had to fight to stay awake then.

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Never enjoyed it. I hated shopping for clothes, school supplies, and dorm supplies. I don't have to do any of that now, but if I had kids of my own, I would probably enjoy taking them to it all, making them try everything on, asking the seemingly never-ending question of "How about this one?"... and thus the transformation into my parents would be complete...

• Haha 8

ALL OF IT! I was that kid that was begging my parents to take me the SECOND the back-to-school commercials & shopping isles popped up. Back-to-school shopping was my favorite part of summer...

And I wish I could still do back to school shopping...hmm...maybe I'll add pens as a reward on habitica

• Like 9

I really wasn't an enthusiastic student, I can't remember anything that I was thrilled about receiving.

My children are all grown (sigh) & my grandchildren live way up North.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

None!

I hated school when I was a kid.

As for now..It's no longer needed, youngest stepvixen is a College student and buys her own supplies.

• Like 8