Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

Since everyone else is sharing pictures of their basing, I figure I should do the same.

Usually, I sculpt mine with either air-dry clay or sculpy. I'll either use Basius pads to get the pattern, like this...

20171126_163202-1.thumb.jpg.658abddd606de54bc170343aea19f3ae.jpg.4b6178c4b09be87eb285dcb5257c7297.jpg.2980ad5f96d4cb326b5298b393e7b5ce.jpg

or I'll hand sculpt the bases to match the integral base or otherwise work with the mini, like these:

746367309_IronGolem.jpg.589fe4fe2092d68bd797041bd91a3229.jpgApe.jpg.9044f0dd12648123d3a533099b10a277.jpg

For particularly large miniatures, I'll go all out on the base to set a scene or tell a story. You can see that in several of my Show Off threads, but one I never got around to showing off is a good example, so here it is:

1110597661_Khanjira06.jpg.f6fea4e4a43160f6aeac18162d84fc44.jpg

For large bases, some of it is sculpy, some of it is actual stones and rocks from my driveway, some of it is kitty litter, there may be miniatures or fake foliage put in as well... It depends on my mood.

• Like 13

13 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I used to love the Bic 4-color pens; my early dungeons were always done in blue ink with black crosshatch in stone sections and red numbers. Green? Slime...

Just with this single comment, I now want a 4-color magic sword in D&D. A sword with four colour settings. Red for fire damage, blue for cold damage, green for acid/poison damage, black for pure adamantine/cold iron/silver goodness. Turn the pommel to switch between them. On a "1", the pommel gets jammed between two colours and you lose your action.

I shall call it the Sword of Ubicquitousness!

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

13 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 18:  Do you consider yourself left or right brained?

I think I can switch hit.

That means often crossing some of these off each list. 

Left

logic

sequencing

linear thinking

mathematics

facts

thinking in words

Right

imagination

holistic thinking****

intuition

arts

rhythm

nonverbal cues

feelings visualization

daydreaming

****not entirely sure what HT is?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Inarah said:

https://www.healthline.com/health/left-brain-vs-right-brain

Both.  But they're picky as to who's in charge, and can't always agree if they feel like working.  It's a boon sometimes, other times you just want to read a book but your brain wants to research some random thing for hours on end... 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Inarah said:

As an engineer who likes art, I'm a hefty blend of both.

Now if they could only play nice together.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I'm not sure anymore.

I would have told you left-brained before I read that but I'm used to thinking of myself as a sysadmin, which is usually a left-brained activity.  It's all logic and facts.  Computers are extremely unimaginative.  (But most of the really interesting problems involve people or products of people or byproducts of people and, in these cases, the Twilight Zone's the limit.)

But, looking at the article, I think I'm happier when doing right-brained activities.  I like solving problems but very few interesting problems can be solved through the sledgehammer of logic.  I like writing and telling and reading and experiencing stories.  Maybe this is why mini painting works well as a stress relief for work.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Yes.

I was given a multitude of such tests as a kid, as a teen, as a student, as a patient, and as am employee and they've all said the same thing. "Yes."

I'm always 2 percentage points off of a completely balanced brain and those two percentage points err on a different side each time.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Some weird combination of the two. I love math, physics and logic puzzles along with pretty colors, abstract thought and imagination. I think and read in pictures of words. It was literally years and like 3 books, before someone pointed out to me that student leaders at Hogwarts are Prefects, not Perfects. The shape of the words is mostly the same and it was not until I examined the individual letters that I noticed the difference. 

2 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Yes.

I was given a multitude of such tests as a kid, as a teen, as a student, as a patient, and as am employee and they've all said the same thing. "Yes."

I'm always 2 percentage points off of a completely balanced brain and those two percentage points err on a different side each time.

When I was a kid teachers and parents all thought I was left brained. I was encouraged, tested on, and pushed toward math and science. Art came later, when I realized I am both good at it and enjoy it. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

A wildly simplistic and inaccurate theory, though it does have some merits and is better thought of as modes of thought. Neuroplasticity research is uncovering some cool stuff lately.

Anyone can work in either mode, and your experiences in life push you to favor one or the other. I had a crappy math teacher once and thought I wasn't mathematically inclined, but I'm actually great at math (and woefully undereducated in it).

In practice, I use the ability to mode switch a lot in art. I have a meditation and stretching ritual that begins shutting down my verbal mode ("left") with visualization exercises. I don't listen to music with lyrics, to allow my overactive language centers (you'll understand if you've met me) to stay as dormant as possible. I will then fairly quickly slip into 'flow', creative mode, "right" brain ascendant. Hours can pass before I come back to verbal mode thinking.

I learned a lot of this through being a musician and studying briefly with a yogi in the 90s. Slipping into flow was very critical to making good music, so I began looking for ways to smooth that path, and meditation is a great option. Also understanding how mode switching works.

I don't care for drawing with the right side of the brain as a book overall, but it does touch on a lot of concepts about how to visualize the two primary modes of thought. I don't like how he goes about switching them, though, and there's a lot of stale research in it.

So, to answer the question...yes. I have both lobes and strive to use them in concert as best I can.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

This is a fallacy.  Brain scans have shown no Right brain Left brain dichotomy.  If you want analytical or creative my answer is analytical (in sometimes creative ways)

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Both, though my health issues result in some... quirks. Like the fact that while I'm left dominant for a lot of things (left eye dominate, for example) the spasticity on my left side is so much worse than my right that I write (and paint) right handed. I eat with either hand, but open jars left handed. Neuroplasticity is a wonderful thing.

• Like 8