Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 18:  Do you consider yourself left or right brained? 

https://www.healthline.com/health/left-brain-vs-right-brain

According to the theory, I would say more left-brained. Every now and then, the right-brain chimes in with inspiration. I imagine my right-brain to be like the character Wilson from the '90s tv show Home Improvement: when Tim Allen (my left-brain) is stuck it gets advice from the friendly neighbor Wilson (right-brain).

1 hour ago, TGP said:

holistic thinking****

****not entirely sure what HT is?

It's looking at things as a larger or more complex picture. Essentially, looking at things as a whole instead of as individual pieces.

Probably the best example I can give is from medicine. In America (maybe the rest of the world too, not sure) our doctors are predominantely MD's (literally Medical Doctor or Doctor of Medicine), but there are also DO's (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine). While they both are valid doctors, the way they approach medicine and the human body varies. MD's generally look at the body's systems individually (nervous system, digestive system, etc) while DO's look at the body as a whole. A DO might treat pain in your shoulder by working on an area lower in your back (just an example) in addition to looking at your diet (looking at an issue as a whole body problem, rather than just something in your shoulder).

A DO is more likely to incorporate "holistic" medicine in addition to "Western" medicine; acupuncture, massage, etc.

Hope that kind of gives you a better idea of holistic thinking?

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

In practice, I use the ability to mode switch a lot in art.

This.

Highly recommend Betty Edwards's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain to help develop this skill.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Both/neither? I think the argument can be made that happy, functional people are a decent mix of all these qualities. And indeed, recent research (noted near the end of the linked article) suggests that there is no quantifiable difference in hemisphere dominance for people no matter how they, or society for that matter, classify themselves.

Does the researcher making a breakthrough owe it only to their analytical abilities? Or are their creative qualities the reason they pursued a new research path in the beginning? Is a great DM great because they can create new and unique stories? Or is it a combination of that plus their ability to tell a story with logical internal consistency and the ability to understand and interpret a complex set of rules?

Personally, I work in a very analytical field and find great enjoyment in that. But at the same time, I find just as much pleasure from painting minis and coming up with weird homebrewed beer recipes. In the end I think we're all a little happier when we don't worry about assigning labels to ourselves and just try getting on with the business of being good at whatever we put our minds to, be those things creative or analytical. Or a little of both.

Sorry, ranty, I know. 

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Definitely both.  I work in programming, a very logic based field, but my main strengths are problem solving and creativity (at least according to a bunch of tests and reviews). I also really like painting, building stuff and writing.
I can get into the same zone (where hours and hours disappear) painting, writing, coding, or digging through a system trying to find a bug.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

You can also use an epoxy putty like MagicSculp or Apoxie Sculpt, which are stickier (though water will generally keep them from sticking to the stamp) but don't need to be baked, so you can start with them on the final base.

Unfortunately, I've gotten a really bad skin reaction to all of the two part putties that I've ever tried. There must be something in the mix that sets my skin off, which is why I switched to the Sculpey.  

I'm going to have to brave the greenstuff soon though, as I'm going to be trying to sculpt something that can't be baked. Time to stock up on the vinyl free rubber gloves again :poke:

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

I think I'm a mixture of both- I found Math and Physics fairly easy at school, but I was always thinking about what I was doing for my next art project. 

I use mini painting to relax nowadays as it means that I can stop over thinking all the adulting that takes up most of my day.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Inarah said:

According that that theory I'm more left brained

However, I think the point made in that article about the entire theory being less than reliable is important and that most things require applicaton of both sides of the brain (assuming that there is a tendency for one side to be better than the other, rather than my preferred theory that is more that the brain does everything, and it is  how you've learned something that determines which part of the brain is used for that purpose)

• Like 6

Much more right brained I think. Logic frequently gives me trouble. 

• Like 6

Question for Sept 19:  What is your favorite soup and sandwich combination? 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Grilled cheese and Tomato soup

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Cream of tomato soup (Campbell's) & a tuna sandwich.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Peanut butter sandwich and chicken noodle soup. Though it's more of a "I'm so sick, this is all my stomach can handle" meal.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5