Inarah

Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

25 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Thanks for all the questions! 

Is being productive a skill? I manage to finish a lot of minis. Wouldn't say most of them qualify as good. But I sure don't have any unpainted minis on my gaming table! Made my hobby space a screen free zone several years ago, no computers, tablets, or TVs allowed. No distractions = more minis painted. 

Absolutely!

*looks at figs completed this year in signature*  I haven't mastered that yet either.....

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 30:  What painting or hobby skill took you the longest to get good at? How did you finally figure it out? 

For October, I leave you in the capable hands of Talespinner. 

Thanks for the time you put in making us think, Inarah.

Not making self deprecating remarks when I receive a compliment took the longest. Taking kind words graciously took practice.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 30:  What painting or hobby skill took you the longest to get good at? How did you finally figure it out? 

Blending. I’m not sure I have it down. It’s been too long since I painted. 

• Like 9

On 9/27/2019 at 11:12 PM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 28 - 29.  Follow-up to the Sept 2 question: What have you accomplished this month?

Did ok with my list. Haven't quite finished the nativity set, but did get a few other figured done. While I didn't technically paint any of the Dwarven Forge, I did acquire more, so that counts right? 

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

I dunno, I'll tell you when I get good at a hobby skill! 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

I'm okay at blending, wouldn't say I'm great at it but good is probably an okay word. I just practiced and once I figured out what I was doing it wasn't super hard to remember for me. Now smooth skin tones are a whole other thing that I'd like to get good at.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

being able to make things up fast enough to let players run with crazy plans, as opposed to needing to stick to the designed encounter

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

NMM, and I'm still only so-so at it. OSL, too. I'm pretty proud of my work using these overall, but I'm not nearly as good as I wish I was.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

Alas, I have mastered none.  I can get passable results with a lot of the frequently mentioned techniques, but I have no idea how long I practiced any of them.

• Like 6

On 9/27/2019 at 3:17 PM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 27: What do you like most about the area where you live? 

I'm only ten minutes walk from my favourite urban nature reserve. It's a haven for all sorts of wildlife, including birds of prey, wildfowl, deer, foxes, butterflies and dragonflies. Even better, the wildlife is somewhat used to people so you can get really great views of them too. 

It also has an Ice cream van in the summer and a hot food stall in the winter, so you can always get something nice to eat :winkthumbs:

On 9/28/2019 at 5:12 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 28 - 29.  Follow-up to the Sept 2 question: What have you accomplished this month?

Not much, unfortunately ::(:

My mini painting has been almost non existent this month. I still need to get back and finish my Dance of Death and my painting table looks like a disaster zone.

I added another three bird feeders to the garden, mostly to try and lure in the winter migrants. Our feeders are busy enough to attract the attention of a pair of Sparrowhawks, but I still haven't  gotten a picture of either of them. All you see is a brown or blue/grey streak going past the feeders and all the little birds going crazy. If im going to provide such a good habitat for them, then they should at least pose for the camera occasionally <_<

On 9/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, ManvsMini said:

And I managed to teach my chocolate lab a new trick/manners: I put one end of a treat in my mouth, and get her to gently take the other end of it. We needed to work on getting her to not snap treats out of hands.

Have you tried clicker training? It's a really good method for food motivated animals (y'know, like labs). We've trained our cats that way, well, apart from Diva. She refuses to pander to our silly human idiosyncrasies 

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

I've been trying to do NMM for years, and I'm still awful at it. I don know whether it's my blending, light placement or just the way I look at things, but it always looks substandard :down: I've watched countless videos, tried so many tutorials, but I never quite get it to work properly.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

Contrast... I'll get back to you when I'm good at it. ::P:

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:
On 9/29/2019 at 2:12 PM, ManvsMini said:

And I managed to teach my chocolate lab a new trick/manners: I put one end of a treat in my mouth, and get her to gently take the other end of it. We needed to work on getting her to not snap treats out of hands.

Have you tried clicker training? It's a really good method for food motivated animals (y'know, like labs). We've trained our cats that way, well, apart from Diva. She refuses to pander to our silly human idiosyncrasies

I have not tried clicker training, she actually really isn't that bad anymore. She has gotten much better, she just still has a tendency to make a sudden/quick grab for the treat in hands, but she doesn't bite/hit fingers with her teeth. I'm more just trying to phase out the urge to go quick for the treat (which I'm sure is from the fact that she was the runt in a litter of 12 puppies). I want her to be able to not make people edgy when I give them a treat to offer her. She really is quite sweet.

• Like 6

Bunking out here. See you guys and ladies next month :D.

• Like 5