Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

Inarah

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 4:  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and how would things be better? 

Nothing. I'm a tall, handsome man of action in great shape and with a full, luxurious head of hair. 

Just kidding, there's apparently nothing about my imagination that needs changing. In reality I've got pretty poor eyesight and could stand to lose about 20 pounds. Wouldn't mind having better eyes and some better motivation to lose that weight. But as is I'm still pretty happy and active, so I'm not sure if changing those things would actually make life that much better. 

26 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I doubt I'd be comfortable biking to work (country boy biking in city traffic is disconcerting....).

My wife used to help teach groups how to ride on streets in our city so new bicyclists would feel more confident in urban traffic. It was part of a program sponsored by a local not for profit bicycling advocacy group. Maybe there's something like that in your area. Something else to look for are slow ride groups. Typically it's a bunch of folks who get together on a regular basis and ride in a large group on the roads. There are several around here and I know of a lot of slow ride groups in other cities. Riding on city streets in a large group can help with confidence levels a lot.

For my part, I grew up in the country and now live in the middle of a dense urban environment and I really think riding in town is much safer. The reason being is people have to deal with cyclists on a regular basis and so tend to know how to operate around them (safe passing distance, no tailgating, etc...). 

• Like 12

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for Sept. 4:  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and how would things be better? 

It'd be health issues. I've lost a lot of motivation due to issues that won't heal, if they got better I could solve my other problems on my own.

If that wasn't an option, I'd say probably my choice in education. Sciences were what I excelled at, but there is something about me or the paths I took that make it hard to find employment; always have had a hard time getting past the application stage to get interviews, even with help with resumes and cover letters.

• Like 12

I'd change... Hmm. 

Screw it.  The one thing I'd change is being human.  Being an anthro fennec sounds so much cooler! 

Oh, I have to keep it realistic? Spoilsport :p  Fine. Uhm, redacted.  No, the OTHER redacted - I have enough problems finding clothing that fits comfortably, thank you.

That's right - I want feet that aren't weirdly shaped. Large I don't mind, but it's so annoying to have to go through thirty different designs of boots in order to try and find two that actually fit properly.

• Like 12

My mental health. If I could get my brain/attitude to function properly, then I would be able to get a lot more accomplished.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

If it could be I like the eyesight of my youth back instead of this needing reading glasses.

If it can't be something like that, I like to worry less about things that haven't happened yet...

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Not sure I would.

I almost wrote "Summer 2007". That was when I got pregnant and it all went south. I ended up with a blown disk and permanent nerve pain down the left leg, I found out just how defective some organs really were, and how bad my fiance at the time could become. 

But if Summer 2007 never happened his actions wouldn't have driven me to leave his sorry arse before marrying him, which would have made things much harder down the line when he inevitably did turn abusive. I wouldn't have ended up with my partner of 11 years now. I wouldn't have fought so hard to get those defective organs removed before they went from defective to cancerous. I wouldn't have the job I do now or the gigantic apartment or the life I now lead had it not been for Summer 2007.

Weight? No, I've started that. I've gotten rid of the organs, I can now go off of the meds that made me gain 50 pounds, now I can begin losing the weight without chemistry hating me for it.

Success? I'm working on that too. I'm volunteering for various things at work, a necessary component of advancement. The other necessary component is "my bosses are retiring" and I've got that too.

Wealth? I've never wanted to be rich. I've always wanted to be comfortable enough that I don't have to worry. I've accomplished that too.

Okay, I'd like to be less depressed. Chemistry and genetics dealt me a hand and forgot to give me the seratonin card. 

• Like 20

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

I would cure my ulcerative colitis which is a chronic condition. Would allow me to be more active and more comfortable in public. As chronic conditions go, it's not too terrible, and is largely managed, but it does still cause problems. Plus I have to give myself a shot every other week, which is annoying. 

I told Mrs. Gargs I knew I was getting older. When I was younger I collected "things". Toys, memorabilia, etc. Now I collect doctors. :lol:

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

To suddenly be able to hear again without the limited capabilities of my cochlear implant processor. To be able to hear a movie's dialog, have a phone conversation, & hear music again would be wondrous.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

My eyesight - short sighted in both eyes, but with an astigmatism in my left eye which more than doubles the prescription required for that eye

Would just be easier not to have to worry about glasses all the time (hell, even just getting rid of the astigmatism would let me get contact lenses), especially as I also get contact dermatitis from extended contact to nickel, meaning that I'm limited to usually about 3-4 frames in an entire store when I have to get new frames (I don't wear plastic frames, they look ridiculous on me)

On top of this, on an MRI my left optic nerve isn't quite normal (rather than running straight from the eye back it looks like an s-bend

Edited by ratsmitglied
  • Like 12

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

I'd like to be able to keep my weight down without having to go running so often. Some people look like elegant gazelles when they run, but not me. I apparently look like a cross between an angry octopus and a running zombie :zombie:

In case you think that I'm exaggerating, that description was coined by a friend of mine. Some friend, eh? ::o:

• Like 14
  • Haha 3