Getting to Know You -- Sept 2019

Inarah

Question for Sept 2:   What do you plan to accomplish this month? 

- Ignore the rules of this thread. And keep up with this month!

- I have a silly amount of introductory videos to watch on character design, color theory, composition, and photoshop before class starts in October. (Wooo!! I'm taking real art classes!!!!)

- Maybe get to level 20 in WoW Classic. That would be cool.

Question for Sept 3:  What hobby skills have you taught to others? 

I've taught things to people but they usually just come along in normal conversations. It's not in a typical teaching environment. :) ReaperCon was full of little moments passing on what I've learned from other artists (and learning more!).

Question for Sept. 4:  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and how would things be better? 

Health issues for sure. It's really hard to get good at art when everything hurts and takes away from how much time you can spend learning. And I miss riding my bike!

Question for Sept. 5:  Happy National Waffle Week!  How do you like yours?  Have you ever tried any unusual toppings or ingredients?

I'm not a waffle person, but my husband makes the best banana chocolate chip pancakes.

• Like 13

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 4:  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and how would things be better? 

Other people have already suggested various health improvements they’d choose for themselves. I also miss the health I enjoyed 8-10 years ago.

I might also like to tinker with less tangible psychological traits, but the effects of those kinds of changes are much harder to predict.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

Question for Sept. 5:  Happy National Waffle Week!  How do you like yours?  Have you ever tried any unusual toppings or ingredients?

Butter and syrup. Anything else is just messing with perfection. 

• Like 12

Well, I’m going to get to share my mini painting knowledge with others! Some of my family members have a painting group going and have asked me to join them! ::D:

On 9/4/2019 at 8:00 AM, Inarah said:

I would like the metabolism of a teenaged boy. I could eat and eat and eat and never get fat. 

Of course, to go with this new metabolism I’d need Jeff Bezos’ income :lol:

I like mine with butter and syrup. Then you eat each cell, one by one.

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

On 9/3/2019 at 9:23 AM, Inarah said:

Question for Sept 3:  What hobby skills have you taught to others? 

I don't think I've taught anyone anything.  I've tried giving advice (including on executing NMM) but I don't think that counts.

On 9/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, Inarah said:

No more sleep!  There aren't enough hours in the day to do things, between work and sleep and so on.  If I didn't have to sleep, I'd be able to get more stuff done!  (Or watch more cat videos.)

Besides, then I could find time for the exercise I'm supposed to be doing...

• Like 10

6 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

I enjoy the vietnamese waffles made with pandan (green waffles or Banh Kep La Dua). Can be soft or crispy, but regardless, they are delicious.

dsc_0032.jpg

I had to look this up. It just looks so appetizing. Pandan... never heard of it. But based on the description there's a Vietnamese grocer in town that's going to be getting a new customer soon. Thanks!

• Like 8

On 9/4/2019 at 9:00 AM, Inarah said:

I already did the lose weight and get in shape thing, so I suppose that's out.  Maybe be more outgoing?  But the thing is I like playing games and going out would take away from my game time...

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

I rarely have them, but when I do I make yeast waffles and cook them until they brown (but not burnt).  I usually keep it simple, with syrup and butter.

• Like 9

Probably the same way I like my pancakes: Honey and butter.  (I'm a bigger fan of honey than maple syrup.)

I think the last time I had a waffle was when I was in San Antonio.  That was... a bit over two years ago?  It was while the Bones 4 Kickstarter was going on.  The hotel had a Texas-shaped waffle iron.  (Is it a requirement that all hotels in Texas have them?)

I'm not a waffle (or pancake) fan.  I prefer proteins for breakfast.  My wife is a fan of pancakes though so I get to have them on occasion.  I'd be fine if she made waffles but we're short on space in the kitchen and waffle irons are single-use appliances with a footprint.

On a more amusing note, of the last four weddings I've been invited to, all of the couples had a waffle iron on their registry.  Is there a waffle iron wedding conspiracy I'm not privy to?   (The secret waffle-wedding-industrial complex...)

• Like 10

I wouldn't change anything as I wouldn't be me if I did.

I like mine gluten free.

I use cold waffles in place of bread for sandwiches. Egg salad with bacon and avocado is a favorite.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Keianna said:

My Dad's waffles! 

Whole wheat granola batter, real maple syrup, fresh strawberries and blueberries, butter, and real whipped cream. So good, and will keep you full all day. 

Wait, there's something other than real maple syrup? O_o

Full all day - this delivery driver has yet to find something that actually lives up to that claim. Pizza will keep you full all day, provided you have a decently large enough pizza to snack on all day.... ^_^;;;

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

This sounds like a be careful what you wish for situation:

:down: Too much wear and tear to pick just 1.

16 hours ago, Inarah said:

Waffles get a whole week?

Impressive

Pretty sure pancakes only get a day. 

It has been 5 (?) maybe 9 (?) years since I consumed a Waffle. I guess I don’t like them all that well since I don’t make much effort to have them. The last one I had was made by one of those Belgian waffle makers provided by a hotel. Or at least it was that style. Overall Round shape with large square pockets. (Waffles have pockets or depressions or impressions; not holes. Holes go through to the other side.)

918550.jpg

As I recall, I carefully filled every other pocket in a checkerboard pattern. I used strawberry jam alternating with butter. Once done, half the pockets were empty, one quarter of them contained jam, the remaining quarter had softened butter. 

Syrup was available on that occasion but I gave it a miss since it originated in a Cornfield rather than a Mapletree. 

24 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm getting hungry from all this waffle talk!

Poor Wolf!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, Inarah said:

Either just butter and syrup or with chopped fruit and syrup.  And now I want waffles...  

• Like 9