Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Bad photos, bad Bones cast, and tabletop paint job of Balto Burrowell the Gnome Wizard. Painted this one up as my sons kid character in hero kids. Fuego is a young kid who can cast some fire spells and has survived three adventures and he was on his own in the last one.
I am really beginning to loath these older human sized minis, but this is the closest I had to a human child for his character. Fairly simple base coat, washes, and highlights. I was having a lot of problems with my skin tone paints being too thin (even after several minutes on the vortex mixer). I guess that is the pit fall of no painting for months outside of terrain.
Using the long weekend to my advantage, I got a decent paint in on this guy. Meet Gronk.
Trying to do a more comic-style paint job, I did less wash and more highlights with bold color.
* The two-toned leathers look fun and eye catching where they need to be.
* Staying to as simple color-scheme as possible helped me draw this one to a close. (Brown, Orange, Green, ivory, red)
* The eyes came out really good and I finally managed one of those little reflective white dots in the corner of the right eye.
* Opting to not color-up every single ribbon or fold as a new color and simply stick to the simple palette helped me keep pushing forward.
* The shield came out great! If you look close on the edges and near the dents, there's small orange highlights that are really faint. Probably my favorite small thing on this model.
* Not digging his green skin highlights. Did a Green base, then ink wash, then went back over with same green, then brought up by adding white. Placement of the highlights is off as well as not understanding light. Crux for me.
* Metal sword over all has a good look to it. Can't seem to use the Vallejo Metals for edge highlighting. Too runny. Need to swap to regular metal paints and use edge of brush. Love the Metals, but they are so thin and spread so quickly.
* Struggled with doing boots. I want to darken them, but using black just seems too easy. When they are super dark, I can't figure out how to bring the color up. Lame.
* On the dino skull on his shoulder something bad happened. I went over it with bone color like 3 times to make sure it was thick enough. Then did a wash to bring out the dips and dirty it up a little, but I guess pulled up the bone color before it dried - even though it was sitting for 15 or more minutes before I hit it. That sucked. Fixable, but not sure why I hate that color so much.
* Learning how to be 'subtle' is something I need to develop. It's almost like I'm needing to see big swings in the color to make my eye train to it being different, but the reality is subtle would be better.
I realize it's not the weekend, but the week was quite busy and I'm happy to have got any of this done at all.
This little wizard's focus for me was going to be brighter colors and trying to do skin and hair better. I think it came out pretty well.
* The base color of red tone and highlighting upward to flesh tone seems to be a good mix.
* Keeping to adjacent colors on the color wheel made for a pleasing, eye-catching combo. I have to say using the reds, oranges, and browns was pretty fun.
* I did as much highlighting and avoiding washes as I could. This has been my practice over the last number of models I've done. I don't get how the videos show people just splashing it on for amazing results. I don't get it, can't seem to do it the same, so I resort to taking more time on starting dark and going light. Much like Dr. Faust's painting videos. I've learned much from watching him.
* Mixing paints is getting better. I used like colors to lighten and highlight and I'm getting a better balance and understanding of how they may look really different wet, but getting to know how they dry and differs greatly.
* The eyes worked better going in order of black first, white second, black third. I was doing a white, black, white and it made the eyes look weird. @Inarah pushed me to try something different and it's been working better.
* The brown hair with little highlights came out good and I'm trying to be very light in my touch to get subtle look versus stark. Win!
* The staff is okay. I tried to give it like some kind of weathered look or cool effect at the end, but it just didn't sing like I had hoped.
* On the back of his cape, there's a part that I tried shading inf that just didn't look believable to the eye. I tried to hit it a few times to catch the light and how to lighten the edgest, but it was lost on me. Fail.
*The skin on his hand held out has a funny look to it up close. I tried to bring out some of pads of his fingers and palm, but it doesn't look as good as I had hoped.
Overall it's another win, and I'm happy with the results.
Who's Online 18 Members, 3 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)