Technique question - hands on weapons

Ok, so there I was, looking at a picture of a mini I'm painting when inspiration hit.

I'm going to skip the long explanation of my thought process, would it be a valid and possibly time saving idea when painting a hand on a staff or spear to block the hand colors, use a fairly heavy wash or an ink to go around the hand, giving a wide line, then paint up to the line when doing the weapon?

I typically paint the hand, then paint the weapon, then use an ink or a wash to create a break between them, but that sometimes requires touchup on one side or the other as I get the line too wide or uneven.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm going to skip the long explanation of my thought process, would it be a valid and possibly time saving idea when painting a hand on a staff or spear to block the hand colors, use a fairly heavy wash or an ink to go around the hand, giving a wide line, then paint up to the line when doing the weapon?

Well, the miniature painting cops might show up and jack you up, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I do something like that in most cases. I prefer to only have to maintain one clean edge on whatever I'm painting, so I don't have to be quite so precise about how much of the brush tip I use. So I paint eyes, then clean up the edges of the eyes with face shadow. And I often paint my lining before I do anything else, so I can establish very narrow line widths easily. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

In some ways, you're describing a type of darklining technique:

0. Prep and prime as appropriate.

1. Put a dark line in the transitions between materials (i.e., weapon and hand, coat and shirt, etc.). It can be messy!

2. Paint the topmost material (i.e. the hand, or the outermost later of clothing) all the way to its edge. This should be neatly done, but should be easy because it ends without anything against or above it.

3. Paint the innermost material almost to its edge, getting as close to the border as you want, leaving a thin dark line between the two materials. This requires the most control, as you can't just ran your brush up into the join between the two materials. A more "real" look has thinner dark lines, and a more "cartoony" or "comic book" look has either thicker lines or lines of various weights*.

*This is pretty subjective, go with what you like.

• Like 4