Argentee

Reapercon 2019 Class Reviews

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

... lids! I should have thought of that.

IIRC, I was one of the ones wanting that class in the first place, so I'm doubly glad I managed to scrounge a spot. For Some Reason (which may or may not include resin curing times), it's hard to find basing classes with very much hands-on practice. And I kinda need the hands-on work for things to stick, if you'll pardon the pun.

Do have one request for next time. Handouts! With material lists. I managed to take decent notes, but I suspect there was at least one person who did not. There always seems to be one; it's been me at least once.

Yes!!  I was working on handouts but simply did not get them completed in time.  Next year for sure I will have them. 

I felt bad about it the whole con.  lol.  I hadn't considered how long I would need to prep, practice and deliver 6 classes early enough (not to mention scrambling to finish my MSP entries).  It all came together at the end minus handouts.  But I totally agree, handouts would be helpful.  So next year I will bring some extras.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Argentee said:

I think one of the takeaways from this thread is that people like handouts. :winkthumbs:

Is this Reapercon class feedback or advice for new DMs?

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Argentee said:

I think one of the takeaways from this thread is that people like handouts. :winkthumbs:

yep, and several of us had debated that subject just before Reapercon.  I will definitely pass on the lesson learned to instructors not typically on the forums when we start talking about next years stuff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me, at least, I learn much better in classes when all my attention is on the instructor and none is on taking notes. (I know others find that the act of taking notes helps to cement the information.) So for me, having my notes pre-taken is a real benefit. And I try to provide those kinds of notes for students in my classes as well.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

For me, at least, I learn much better in classes when all my attention is on the instructor and none is on taking notes. (I know others find that the act of taking notes helps to cement the information.) So for me, having my notes pre-taken is a real benefit. And I try to provide those kinds of notes for students in my classes as well.

If you gave me a handout I would definitely make a big show of taking notes.  But then if you actually looked it wouldn't be notes but instead a crudely-drawn pac-man dressed like a ghostbuster.  

I forgot where I was going with this.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

11 hours ago, Argentee said:

And, preferably, handouts that have large enough text to read, or, if a PowerPoint presentation, slide images large enough to read.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 6:38 AM, Dicey said:

My husband (not on forums) took this class, also at the same time as you. He had a similar impression of it. It was hard to both see and practice and he said that it was frustrating to spend most of the class watching instead of doing. He felt like the class could have really benefitted from a projector screen or from some other type of visual aid to keep the standing and watching while doing nothing to a minimum. He did learn good things, like the technique for lines, but felt like he didn't get as much out of the class as he had hoped. I think he thought the material was promising, but the format/presentation of the class just didn't work well for him. 

I was expecting to have a TV for my power point but that was not available.  I will make sure that I have a TV for next year.  I also bought the same projector/camera as James Wapple so people can see the demo next year.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, bcocanour said:

I was expecting to have a TV for my power point but that was not available.  I will make sure that I have a TV for next year.  I also bought the same projector/camera as James Wapple so people can see the demo next year.

I did have a monitor for my photography class, which was pretty horrible -- saturation and brightness pushed to the max, which is a pain when you're trying to show how to color and exposure balance. I'm seriously thinking about bringing my own monitor next year, too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I did have a monitor for my photography class, which was pretty horrible -- saturation and brightness pushed to the max, which is a pain when you're trying to show how to color and exposure balance. I'm seriously thinking about bringing my own monitor next year, too.

Please bring it and leave it in my class so i can use it too :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 9/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, leolson79 said:

Bangin’ Reflections - Achieving Convincing NMM Environmental Reflection Effects (Kantor), Saturday 3:00 - No hand out for this one.  This was kind of a weird class for me.  The first half was a presentation about theory and execution, and the second half was hands-on to put it into practice.  The presentation part was great, and quite informative, but I struggled with the hands-on part.  I think it's largely because the painting style felt so drastically different from what I normally do, I couldn't wrap my head around it.  Not a knock against Ben, but I think this technique isn't for me.  Having a hand out of the presentation would have been great.  I wasn't the only one taking a picture of the screen with my phone for every slide.

Benjamin said that PDFs of not just this class' presentation would be available for free on his Facebook page but all of the classes he took. I thought that was pretty awesome of him, as I've learned a bit from the classes of his that I didn't take just from reading the presentations.

He said that the presentations would be available the week after the class on his Facebook page, which had a link to on the second slide of all of his presentations. Here's a direct link to the post with those presentations. This is a public post so even if you don't have a Facebook account you can see this.

https://www.facebook.com/metal.af.miniatures/posts/373706856649666

I took two of his classes and I really liked how he had the full presentation available as a free, downloadable file. That's even better than a hand out in my opinion, as I can save it and print it out as many times as I want to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2019 at 3:02 PM, amankhan said:

Benjamin said that PDFs of not just this class' presentation would be available for free on his Facebook page but all of the classes he took. I thought that was pretty awesome of him, as I've learned a bit from the classes of his that I didn't take just from reading the presentations.

He said that the presentations would be available the week after the class on his Facebook page, which had a link to on the second slide of all of his presentations. Here's a direct link to the post with those presentations. This is a public post so even if you don't have a Facebook account you can see this.

I took two of his classes and I really liked how he had the full presentation available as a free, downloadable file. That's even better than a hand out in my opinion, as I can save it and print it out as many times as I want to.

Brilliant!  I had missed this completely. Thank you for the link.  Now I don't have to worry about downloading the photos off my phone.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:02 PM, amankhan said:

I totally forgot to go check his page after my diorama class with him.

After downloading all the files, I quickly realized that unless you were there for the lesson, a lot of information is lost as the presentations are more like key reminders for Kantor, and refreshers for the students. There are many points on the OSL and reflections presentations that are just baffling without the explanations, yet I clearly recall the content of the diorama one.

[Well played sir. Well played.]

• Like 1