Sign in to follow this  
Kangaroorex

An experiment 02889 and others

Good work, I like the results.

I used to paint with oils when I painted military kits, I stay clear of them these days because of the smell of the thinner and the chemicals involved, I always get paint on my hands.

Washing my hands with warm water to remove acrylics is something I prefer over using thinner or something similar.

Oils do give a great effect though if you know how to use them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Thanks for posting this.  Interesting topic. I like the stag most.

Thanks for commentimg! I like how the stag came out as well.  The hippogryph really doesn't have much to work with I bought it mainly due to a lack of other choices and have never been really happy with it.  This at least gave me something I can put on the table.  The rat pictures really don't do them justice.  

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Good work, I like the results.

I used to paint with oils when I painted military kits, I stay clear of them these days because of the smell of the thinner and the chemicals involved, I always get paint on my hands.

Washing my hands with warm water to remove acrylics is something I prefer over using thinner or something similar.

Oils do give a great effect though if you know how to use them.

Thanks!  The newer thinners are odorless which is a great improvement.  Earlier last year I started using some opaque red acrylics which were good but also toxic so I started using a cut off old sock on my wrist for wiping brushes and it has so far led to me keeping my hands much cleaner. ::D:

I am not planning any airbrushing with these nor will it be my main painting resource but there are some nifty effects in blending.  James also gave me some pointers on using oil over acrylic or acrylic over oil that can help with some areas I've need having problems with.  To be completely honest the biggest lure is time.  That stag would have taken me 5 or 6 hours to get to the same level with acrylic and I have a lot of minis I would like to use on the table that currently languish unpainted.  For me, I think its worth investigating.  I've used enamel paints before but for what ever reason I have never even tried oils (the set I have came in one of those are sets some one got me ages ago and I had to break the seals on the tubes!)  

Learning to prep the paint is also a bit of a bother.  Getting the consistency right takes practice, especially if you use the oils in a tube

• Like 3

The red/brown horsey bit on the hippogryph is gorgeous and something I can never get! Thanks for sharing your experience, and fast + good looking results.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 9:21 AM, Iridil said:

The red/brown horsey bit on the hippogryph is gorgeous and something I can never get! Thanks for sharing your experience, and fast + good looking results.

The red/brown (which my wife calls liver chestnut) is a blend of raw umber base with burnt umber blended into the top and black blended into the bottom meeting and mingling in the middle.  It came out well and i seem to be able to duplicate it so i think it can be called a recipe for me ::):

My next challenge is to grab some of my Wrath of Kings minis and see if i can duplicate some of the army work instead of just fur.  (and try a few werewolves... I have too many Wolfen and they need paint!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

Don't think I'm brave enough to try oils.  You've done well, though.

Thank you!  I will have to see what I can do with a little more experience.