Geoff Davis

"Done and on to the next one" Diorama from Reapercon 2019

Very nice composition! I like that you sculpted her with a dress - it works very well with this figure. Congrats on the silver.

• Like 2

That dress turned out amazing.  Great sculpting work - until you pointed it out, I had no idea that the figure was so extensively converted, which is surely the sign of impressive worksmanship. The tartan pattern looks well done, but there's a lot of it.  Kinda to the point that it's almost distracting from the rest of the piece.  Also, I think that the creature's skin could be slightly less green.  I don't know that I would do anything too too drastic, because you've done a good job with the colors to focus the viewer's eye on the archer (which should be the focus), but right now, he kind of blends into the rest of the base and gets lost.  Maybe a hint of purple in the shadows to set him apart?  Anything else I might have had to say looks like it was covered pretty well by the judges' comments.

Overall, a fantastic job, and a well-earned Silver!  I can't imagine it would take much to bump something like this up to Gold next year.

• Like 1

I remember seeing this one in passing, but I didn't look closely at it. (So thank you for sharing so I can better appreciate it!) That said, I agree with @leolson79. When I walked by slowly, taking in the entries on the table, I did not realize that there was a creature on the base. Even seeing the photo of it on the screen during awards, I still did not realize there was a creature on the base. It's obvious looking at it now, but I completely missed it at a glance. I agree it shouldn't be the focus of the miniature, though, and judges clearly look at everything much more closely than just at a glance. So, perhaps the balance is right and this is just a pitfall of not paying close attention.

• Like 1